Thai PM acts on illegal and unlicensed hotels and accommodation

webfact

i got the feeling everyone hoping this is gonna shut the partyhouse or condo next door down is in for a shock.

this sounds like he is green lighting the accomodations not shutting them down. 

The PM, acting in his capacity as the head of the NCPO (in the days before it is dissolved), says he will bring an estimated 20,000 illegal hotels and accommodations around the country under control so they run under the same rules as licensed hotels and to boost safety for paying guests.

couple of fire extinguishers and a safety check and they are good to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I'd love to know where one can anonymously report an unlicenced hotel.  My ex runs a fully-licenced small hotel in Phuket, paying all correct taxes as well.

100 metres up the road, a Chinese guy has been running an unlicenced hotel out of 3 adjoining houses.  He will stand in the street as tourists walk down to her hotel and tell them that it's closed ????  

Love to see him kicked (in the <deleted>) and then kicked out of the country. He's been operating illegally for years.

I will bet strongly your ex does not have a hotel license...Hotel licenses are only given out to 5 star and a few 4 star hotels....So if your ex does not have a FULL hotel license she should be closed down RIGHT?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I will bet strongly your ex does not have a hotel license...Hotel licenses are only given out to 5 star and a few 4 star hotels....So if your ex does not have a FULL hotel license she should be closed down RIGHT?

That is actually not true. We have a small guest house and have had a hotel license for almost 30 years. However it created massive amusement when we applied for one and a lot of persistence on our part. We got responses ranging from laughter, to wave of a hand dismissing us as "not a hotel".

They managed to trip themselves up when having to admit there was no such thing as a guesthouse license.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cmsally said:

That is actually not true. We have a small guest house and have had a hotel license for almost 30 years. However it created massive amusement when we applied for one and a lot of persistence on our part. We got responses ranging from laughter, to wave of a hand dismissing us as "not a hotel".

They managed to trip themselves up when having to admit there was no such thing as a guesthouse license.

So they issued you a license earlier that  was not exactly real just some local made up stuff?

1 minute ago, cmsally said:

No, we got an actual hotel license (same as the 5 star places) and have had one for the past 30 years.

Oh ok that makes sense,

apparently there are such things as villa and pool licenses in Samui but i don't think anything except an exemption certificate and a real hotel license like you have exists.

Highly confusing topic as every local office says whatever they come up with.

I would imagine there was/is a lot of pressure from the big hotels to not hand them out too easily. I would imagine that the reason for this quick Article 44 is because local Tesabahn income has plummeted. It was only 2 years ago that they made the hotel/building license a prerequisite for paying the local tax. If people don't have the license they will not be paying the tax. Something had to be done in haste to refill the local coffers. Presumably the situation is pretty dire.

• Like 2

The current requirements for a hotel license are very very long and almost impossible for ANY guesthouse or hotel in Thailand to meet the volumes and exacting requirements unless the hotel is 4 or 5 stars... 

If the hotel license was strictly applied about 95-98% of hotels and guesthouses would go out of business....

Sure there maybe a lucky few who somehow got the license years ago but not many...

There is nothing fair what so ever about this licence.....But it sure comes in handy for extorting small businesses by little Napoleons...

• Thanks 2

Unfortunately that is part of Thai life. I have lived in a rural village for around 10 years and about 6 years ago they built a village hall not too far away. That gets used quite regularly for functions with the speakers so loud the surrounding villages can hear, not just ours. Sometimes the functions last all weekend with the speakers going from first thing in the morning until midnight.

As far as I understand the noise must stop by midnight and after that you are quite entitled to call the police. With the village functions there is normally a police presence as a matter of course.

When it comes to noise the Thais can take it to a whole new level.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

I'd love to know where one can anonymously report an unlicenced hotel.  My ex runs a fully-licenced small hotel in Phuket, paying all correct taxes as well.

100 metres up the road, a Chinese guy has been running an unlicenced hotel out of 3 adjoining houses.  He will stand in the street as tourists walk down to her hotel and tell them that it's closed ????  

Love to see him kicked (in the <deleted>) and then kicked out of the country. He's been operating illegally for years.

call 1111 - press 9 for English. They were very happy for my info on illegal rentals of condos in the building I live. They called back 2 hours later and requested additional information so I believe they were interested. Soon as I mentioned they advertised online for the bnb they really got pumped, something to do with using a computer to commit crimes or to that effect. He also mentioned the lack of tax payments which he said violates more laws and that multiple agencies will need to get involved as well as immigration.

• Like 2