Taking aim at Johnson, British PM hopefuls make Brexit case

webfact

17 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Good..decent..etc..lets face facts here..the vast majority of politicians from lowly town councillors to the top of the tree in the UK are not exactly " angels ".
Professional liars most of them imo..including scottish ones!!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So who are you going to represent you?

55 minutes ago, vogie said:

And in the same breath, probably the qualities you are seeking in a politician may not apply to any of them. 

IMO you are just finding fault with the man because he is the biggest threat a remainer could wish for.

Once again, it is difficult to argue what a habitual liar like Johnson stands for, other that is than what ever is best for Johnson.

I regard him the single most likely candidate to do a complete about face on whatever Brexit position he claims to have taken.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Once again, it is difficult to argue what a habitual liar like Johnson stands for, other that is than what ever is best for Johnson.

I regard him the single most likely candidate to do a complete about face on whatever Brexit position he claims to have taken.

You are looking at candidates from a remainer perspective. The survival of the Tory Party are on Boris shoulders, my personally choice would have been Dom Raab, he comes across as caring, principled and honest (if there is such a thing as an honest politician) but lacks the personality and charisma of jaunty Boris, give him a chance, I'm sure you'll get to like him, you all will.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

You are looking at candidates from a remainer perspective. The survival of the Tory Party are on Boris shoulders, my personally choice would have been Dom Raab, he comes across as caring, principled and honest (if there is such a thing as an honest politician) but lacks the personality and charisma of jaunty Boris, give him a chance, I'm sure you'll get to like him, you all will.

You assume delivering Brexit will save the Tory party.

There is zero evidence to support that it will.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You assume delivering Brexit will save the Tory party.

There is zero evidence to support that it will.

Regardless of what happens with Brexit, and all the evidence suggests whoever the next PM is, it will still be a complete mess, the Tory goose is well and truly cooked.

People aren't gonna forget their abysmal handling of the referendum and it's result. They created their own problem and can't get out of it. Only way is down - probably down the plughole!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, vogie said:

The Tories and the Labour Parties Manifesto were based on delivering Brexit, this is what the voters voted for, so the only zealots are the pro EU MPs that have ripped the party apart.

That was because the snap election called by the idiot May was close to the referendum result. The Tories dare not do anything other than say they would deliver Brexit whilst Labor under anti EU and UK commie Corbyn tried to gloss over the deep divides withing their party and keep their Nothern Brexiteer voter base happy. 

Sadly just another example of political parties saying anything in their manifestos to gain votes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

But remainers keep complaining that the Brexit Party have nothing in their manifesto, seems to me whether you have or havn't, they are a worthless piece of paper.

They should mostly be judged as 'advertising material". Although a serious misrepresentation should be against the law.

They are 'wish lists" but do contain ideas and views that particular party has and will try and work to. 

The Brexit Party don't have a manifesto because the lazy boozing MD of that limited company hasn't got around to writing it! His vision is myopic and narrow at best so don't expect much of one!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Who says that the Brexiteers want Boris to be elected? The only people who want that are the Tory party themselves. Brexiteers and/or the general public will have NO say in who gets elected.

In the context of choosing a new PM, the only people to get a choice are the Tory MP's and then when down to 2 candidates the Tory party membership - seen this quoted as 124k and 160k members.

It seems to be the Brexiter element in this small group of people who are keen on Boris. Says a lot about their judgment!

• Like 1

Looked so absurd with that empty space for Boris Churchill in the debate last night.

Does not communicate strength, like he was hiding from putting his foot in it...he will probably get in regardless as he is Teflon Man for whatever things he messes up on (hardly any focus on him about drug use vs Gove for the same substance I think)...oh dear.

Whole things has descended into 'The Theatre of the Absurd' since 2016.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

In the context of choosing a new PM, the only people to get a choice are the Tory MP's and then when down to 2 candidates the Tory party membership - seen this quoted as 124k and 160k members.

It seems to be the Brexiter element in this small group of people who are keen on Boris. Says a lot about their judgment!

Something Alexander Boris (man of the people) de Pfefl Johnson has previously expressed an opinion on:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/13/boris-johnson-blasted-leaders-becoming-pm-without-election-old-column-9945489/

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

It seems to me that Boris is trying to use the same sort of "constructive ambiguity" that worked so well for Corbyn  - saying as little as possible, but leaving things open to interpretation by the listener.

It could very well work for him, the brexiters in the Tory party are stupid enough to think he will deliver their cherished no deal. My thought is he'll flip back to being a remainer if he gets power.

The problem is the tory membership mostly want no deal, but no deal will wreck the economy and destroy the tories reputation for being the party of business. This matters because most of the Tory sponsorship is from business.  

So the Tories are between a rock and a hard place, they either alienate the party membership or the people who provide their funding.

5 hours ago, sotsira said:

If Boris becomes PM I think he will end up becoming the shortest

reigning PM in history with the way he conducts himself, it's just

a matter of time. 

not a certainty he will even get the job,100000+ tory voters who decide not the MPs,makes little difference as he will be turkied before xmas

5 hours ago, vogie said:

I can understand remainers not liking Boris, afteral he is one of the PM contenders most likely to honour the democratic referendum and get us out of the EU. The entire Tory party is reliant on Boris to save them from extinction, maybe he is the only one to do it, who knows.

Putting another remainer in charge, like Hunt or Stewart will surely finish the Tories off completely.

or the next leader could revoke A50 and bag 16 million plus voters for the next GE

• Thanks 1