New laws target people in Thailand who smoke at home

webfact

Nothing to do with the government. The government doesn't enforce laws. The police do - or in Thailand's case, don't. What the government should do is replace the pretend police force with another group, trained from the military. Then there might be some, a little, law and order in Thailand. Ever since the latest coup they already have to go out with the pretend police on many occasions, to assist the incompetents and to oversee that they operate properly.

As to this latest law, which I'm sure will never used, it's just more of the usual hot air from politicians trying to pretend they are useful for something, anything.

The army is in control right now , not the police !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thais have a long tradition of ignoring laws they don't like. Banning the eating of street food at night snared two Korean tourists at a street stall but no Thais because they chased the police away. That was under a military government in 1972 and is probably still on the books. Drinking beer from teapots in public places on religious and some regular holidays is another example of how an unpopular law is circumvented. I suspect pressure from the WHO is largely to blame for this latest over-reaction to smoking at home. It was proposed at a meeting in Seoul a few years ago and then went quiet...

You seem very well educated [emoji106]

Another of these stupid laws, 90 days report, TM30, 49% ownership, work permit and now this smoking law. How will they inform Thai people.
My girlfriends mother (nonsmoking) living some 100km east Bangkok, never ever even heard of TM30. First of all, she can not read and understand! But If told, how can she fullfill this silly, ridiculus, insane law, when we visit her. This happened last mothers day and we where really scared stying there for 2 nights. I hardly could not sleep [emoji6]
Same problem with this crazy smoking law. One million police officers checking around, enough?
Just talking to my girlfriend about it, she have not heard anything about this insane new law! 

Besides, I am totally a nonsmoking guy!

PS. very interesting to see all the heavy smoking Chinese take on this.
They can´t smoke or rent out their brand new purchased condo in Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket. 

I am a smoker
But i am in the Golden Triangle
( i am being a good boy) ciggies only !
But this new visa stuff is making me worry and preventing me from sleeping
Jeez ,i didn’t sign up for this !

24 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

You sound like a right party pooper !

Not at all - I attend parties, having great times, with many friends in bars and restaurants within ASEAN countries but only at those with "NO SMOKING" signs (and there are many). None of my ASEAN friends smoke.

22 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Being a non-smoker, for me it is GREAT NEWS. I bet there will be many nicotine addicts and boozers sat on their favorite bar stools today moaning like hell without any consideration for others. 

Just don't join them in the bar! And "your" problem, is solved! 

Go to "Central Plaza", sit in an AC-bathroom-styled cage, have a plastic bottled water with your "ASEAN" friends and enjoy your "GREAT NEWS".

Very simple!

Edited by Maitdjai
  • Like 1

stop smoking in the house u can smoke outside.smoking  can be seen everywhere in Thailand.the bars  or some don,t care if you smoke in the bar and no one checks as well.some will say please go outside and no one will go back if u say no smoking here

1 hour ago, Maitdjai said:

Just don't join them in the bar! And "your" problem, is solved! 

Go to "Central Plaza", sit in an AC-bathroom-styled cage, have a plastic bottled water with your "ASEAN" friends and enjoy your "GREAT NEWS".

Very simple!

Central Plaza - never! I enjoy food, alcoholic drinks, good entertainment and great company in bars/restaurants that are NON-Smoking.

I am curious.. is there any way possible to medically prove a person got ill from second hand smoke. I mean that this was for sure the cause? 

As far as i know and have read elsewhere, no proof for this is available. So it seems to me this new law is some kind of control the gov will try to use later in the future. 

It begs to wonder also how they can make claims that from the laws starting date.. if an illness was actually proven to be from second hand smoke. How can it he proved the illness didnt begin prior to this new law? Or is this law effective retroacrively indefinitely? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can’t even comment.

do they draw these laws in kindergarten.

the language I would like to use to describe these halfw I can’t just truely unbelievable kill mane and do as you will but anything to make a quick buck and we are in it.

drive drunk no licence no insurance no problem sorry will do

if no one is killed we will sit in our lower half but smoke and we are onit

truely stupendous the idiocy of the law makers here

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 3:48 AM, jvs said:

Why don't they enforce the anti smoking laws that are already in place but not enforced?More idle talk from a government that doesn't enforce most laws.

Because the real goal here is to give authorities the right to enter your home on trumped up charges. The well being and health of the people is just a smoke screen.

• Thanks 1

Smoking at home to soon become a punishable offence

By Poungchompoo Prasert 
The Nation

170bceeb549ffdc5cc2554768aea9e81.jpeg

People in Thailand will no longer be allowed to smoke at home if their habit has a negative effect on other family members due to exposure to second-hand smoke, says the Act on Promotion of the Family Institute Development and Protection, which will go into effect from August 20.

This Act, passed to address domestic violence in all forms, states that smoking at home can be harmful to health and thus is a form of violence towards others living under the same roof, Department of Women’s Affairs and Family Development chief Lertpanya Booranabundit said. 

He was speaking at the 18th National Conference on Tobacco and Lung Health held in Bangkok last week. 

“If it can be proved that the health problems of family members stems from second- or third-hand smoke at home, it can lead to two court trials: one in Criminal Court for ‘domestic assault’ via smoke and the other at the Central Juvenile and Family Court. This could lead to a court injunction to protect the health of family members, with the smoker being sent to a rehabilitation centre to kick the habit,” Lertpanya said.

Dr Ronnachai Kongsakon, director of the Tobacco Control Research and Knowledge Management Centre under Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine at Ramathibodi Hospital, said his agency had found that nearly 5 million households have smokers, hence more than 10 million people are exposed to second-hand smoke at home. 

He said second-hand smoke doubled the risk of sudden infant death syndrome, increased children’s chance to develop bronchitis or pneumonia by 47 per cent and the of developing asthma by 39 per cent. The chance of developing lung cancer for women breathing in second-hand smoke at home is increased by 24 per cent and by 19 per cent for those working in offices where smoking is allowed. 

Adisak Plitapolkarnpim, who heads Mahidol University’s National Institute for Child and Family Development, said clinics found to have ignored a young patient’s exposure to second-hand smoke, with the smoker not being sent for rehabilitation, will be charged with violating Article 29 of the Child Protection Act. 

He said this law also allowed people to report to authorities if they find a child being exposed to second-hand smoke, while the Act on Promotion of the Family Institute Development and Protection will regard smoking at home as domestic violence creating health hazard.

Thailand aims to cut down on national tobacco consumption by at least 30 per cent by 2025, as some 400,000 Thai people die from non-communicable diseases caused by smoking every year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30371596

thenation_logo.jpg

2 minutes ago, b17 said:

I gave up smoking years ago, and then I moved to Chiang Rai where we have NO CHOICE but to  inhale near constant levels of smoke for months at a time. 

When the government does something to stop all the air pollution in northern Thailand, they can focus on stopping people smoking - until then, they can put their ideas where the sun doesn't shine, just like the weather here from February to May when the smog blocks the rays from reaching terra firma. 

Perhaps the powers that be actually think smokers are the ploblem at your location....:whistling:

59 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Thank you for kicking us off with a positive note. It's a breath of fresh air from the usual negative comments from the "knocking everything Thai" quarter.

I told the guys at the local soi shop bar they should not smoke in front of us non smokers, they said F off if you want to drink here its our right.

So they won,t stop and the bar owner wont stop them and I cant stop them , nor can I stop the Thai people that smoke at home, nor will they stop.

So even though they have laws , falungs wont stop nor Thais.

I don't smoke so I just avoid sitting next to the smokers but they are still my good mates .

I used to smoke but gave it away years ago as I could not catch my breath walking.