TAT chief blames high baht and lack of Europeans for drop in Thai tourism

Jonathan Fairfield

Arrivals/Visitors are not necessarily tourists. He has no way of knowing how much revenue is generated. Just remember - The degree to which tourism is down in Thailand is in direct proportion to how many positive BS tourism articles with lots of make-believe numbers from TAT, TCT, MOTS, that are posted in the Bangkok Post, The Nation, Press Releases, and via the Thai Government propaganda website.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

They likely meant Europeans as White people or Farangs. They were trying to do better than Farangs, but still don't understand that White people come from many distinct countries. 

It's progress... 

Like Australia is near Germany, as a few b/g's were telling me once  :ermm:

Thai people PLEASE invest in an ATLAS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I do not see the relationship between the brexit and the overvaluation of the Thai baht, but if the head of the TAT sees one ... ....:cheesy:

Contrary to the information issued by the newspapers "to orders", do not forget that they belong for the most part to billionaires who have made their "mistress" .. Brexit will certainly be a great moment in Britain;the pound will probably fall in the first weeks or even months to rise again and cock a snook to the euro and the US dollar.

Brexit is a tragedy ... it marks the beginning of the disintegration of the UK ... a no deal exit will trash GBP and put the UK on a lower growth trajectory. Any benefit is offset by much higher costs. And the economic burden of Brexit will hit the younger generations hardest, and they didn’t vote for it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

That may be true but what they aren't factoring in is the casual expenditure, drinking, eating out, accommodation, girls, etc. This money trickles down into the Thai economy.

I'm by no means an average spender in Thailand and travel 3-4 times a year spending around £8000 per two week trip (including flying with Thai) giving an average daily spend of circa $725. Plenty of 'farangs' of similar ilk. Can the same be said for the Chinese?

I would love to know what factors make up the TAT's average daily spend.

I Bet You fly in 1st Class Then ??

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I do not see the relationship between the brexit and the overvaluation of the Thai baht, but if the head of the TAT sees one ... ....:cheesy:

Contrary to the information issued by the newspapers "to orders", do not forget that they belong for the most part to billionaires who have made their "mistress" .. Brexit will certainly be a great moment in Britain;the pound will probably fall in the first weeks or even months to rise again and cock a snook to the euro and the US dollar.

The Thai baht is not overvalued the pound is falling in relation to all other currencies because of the financial uncertainty that Brexit will bring.  Irrelevant why or how long as currency is valued in the present it only cares about present and presently the pound is down and the baht is the same.  

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Brexit is a tragedy

I'm waiting for a Frenchxit ;

but we have no French politician with enough balls to start it;
Europe as it exists is an aberration

it was already a wobbly thing when there were only six countries in it, now it's very big no matter what.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1