TAT chief blames high baht and lack of Europeans for drop in Thai tourism

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, adammike said:

are Agoda  and Booking.com claiming only 2 rooms left at this price for next January? 

"Only 2 left" are marketing gimmicks. Only 2 left at 50 dollars today, 80 dollars tomorrow, 45 dollars next week (for the same booking period, whatever that might be.)

12 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

You know not so much about Thai economy, right? 1. Thailand is the 9th biggest car building country in the world. 2. They export more than they import. 3. The USA have a huge deficit in trading with Thailand. Don´t tell Mr. Trump
https://ethailand.com/featured-news/top-10-thailands-exports-to-usa-and-europe-where-and-why-they-differ/2347/

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5490.html

Yes, I know about the cars. 

I will predict something for you. 

Chinese are going to move to Thailand to try to escape US import taxes. 

Because Thais are almost like Chinese (same same, but different), they will allow Chinese to break US law. 

Then, US will focus on Thailand and could destroy Thailand's tiny economy. 

Doesn't matter if Trump or the next US President. All western nations are now watching China and other Chinese countries like Thailand carefully. 

Good luck to them 

6 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I do not see the relationship between the brexit and the overvaluation of the Thai baht, but if the head of the TAT sees one ... ....:cheesy:

Contrary to the information issued by the newspapers "to orders", do not forget that they belong for the most part to billionaires who have made their "mistress" .. Brexit will certainly be a great moment in Britain;the pound will probably fall in the first weeks or even months to rise again and cock a snook to the euro and the US dollar.

yeah, on the day all the pigs in Britain take wing! Are you in for a shock, buddy

Here is a thought 

foreigners are overcharged  at every opportunity. made to feel unwelcome by the natives .hounded by police for cash and thailand is a filthy country now due to plastic dumped everywhere

could this have any bearing on it 

Thailand is far from the trppical paradice it once was  and other asian countries are vying for the  tourists and winning 

6 minutes ago, aspenbkk said:

Ask the people on the beach or the people in Laundries they know its empty no washing to do for Farangs

The Indians and Chinese certainly will not take up the slack when it comes to getting their clothes washed.

19 minutes ago, Hackney35 said:

This is basic economics that strong currency impacts exports (whether goods or services) 

I’ve just come back from a wonderful week in Croatia, it’s cheaper than Thailand, has beautifully clean water and the locals speak perfect English.

Why any European families/couples would go for a 1 week beach holiday in Thailand is beyond me when other places in Europe are so much nicer. 

Thailand will always be a great destination as a single man though.

Croatia is beautiful. 

Thailand used to be beautiful. Now Thailand is only a good value at the absolute low end of cost. 

a cheap poor quality sweet beer

toxic palm oil fried rice and cheap festering meat bits

a decent massage with hand job

maybe see a single poorly maintained temple

That's it. There really is nothing else of value. 

2 minutes ago, travelling wilbury said:

Here is a thought 

foreigners are overcharged  at every opportunity. made to feel unwelcome by the natives .hounded by police for cash and thailand is a filthy country now due to plastic dumped everywhere

could this have any bearing on it 

Thailand is far from the trppical paradice it once was  and other asian countries are vying for the  tourists and winning 

So true, Thailand has been turned into just a rubbish tip by lazy Thai people. it's a dump.

But the shags are good. :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Yes, I know about the cars. 

I will predict something for you. 

Chinese are going to move to Thailand to try to escape US import taxes. 

Because Thais are almost like Chinese (same same, but different), they will allow Chinese to break US law. 

Then, US will focus on Thailand and could destroy Thailand's tiny economy. 

Doesn't matter if Trump or the next US President. All western nations are now watching China and other Chinese countries like Thailand carefully. 

Good luck to them 

Right now it´s opposite. The Thai companies have a problem because they deliver less parts to China where they are assambled with Chinese stuff and exported to the US. 
Yesterday I opened another thread and I think that would be the bigger economic problem for Thailand. Especially when you look at my second link I wrote above. https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5490.html

The rules of the game are changing. The Thais now need to woe and cherish the Indians and some Chinese who are the new spenders.

So it took them that long to realise that their artificially inflated THB was to strong a currency.T

Thailand is not the only country in the world where people want to go on holiday or retire. Thailand better start to lower it's currency and to treat the local retirees/expats with more respect and complaisance, mainly regarding the visa issues.

They want the farang bad quality, rogues and cheap jacks out of Thailand, fine and it's their right. 

But on the other hand they should make life easier on all visa/administrative issues for the retirees/expats who have good money to pump in.

i came in in april on a 60 day visa i could extend to 90 days but i stayed 34 days went home and then i came back in again for 8 days mid june i was grilled why i am here many times . Then they called  for his supervisor who came over took me to a empty counter did the fingerprints stamped my passport and said in you go sir without fuss i had that supervisor before and same thing so who knows what there doing very confusing here now and getting worse .

7 minutes ago, Hackney35 said:

This is basic economics that strong currency impacts exports (whether goods or services) 

I’ve just come back from a wonderful week in Croatia, it’s cheaper than Thailand, has beautifully clean water and the locals speak perfect English.

Why any European families/couples would go for a 1 week beach holiday in Thailand is beyond me when other places in Europe are so much nicer. 

Thailand will always be a great destination as a single man though.

Most of us go in the winter there is nowhere in Europe that offers a real sun and beach experience in Dec/Jan/Feb and those short grey days kill us especially when you are retired.The biggest problem is that Thailand has been destroyed by its success, a lot of places are overrun with tourists and Thailand doesn't have infrastructure to process them so it all looks tatty and grungy and polluted with garbage and dogs everywhere when you get down to street level.If you walk up second road in Pattaya indeed most of Pattaya there is not a inch that is not given over to commerce and let's face it most of its tat, no it's all tat.Go for a massage and lay down on some polyester rag with a dubious pillow and get handed a manky towel to have a shower with, it's all a bit soul destroying really and that's without getting into the bars and nightlife.All those fabulous beaches on Sumai and Kho Chang overrun and built on right up to the tide line,I need a drink.

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Well that’s in total contradiction to our Thai visa experts who claim Chinese outspend Europeans. 

Would appear Chinese spending does not make up for loss of European money . 

The Chinese do spend a lot of Money in Thailand.

However, the money they spend does not go into the Local Economies,s it is spent in purpose built " Shopping Experience Outlets ", where just a few very rich business,s get to see any of it. 

Most of the smaller Bars, Restaurants, and Shopping Outlets are left to feed on the remnants.

36 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Croatia is beautiful. 

Thailand used to be beautiful. Now Thailand is only a good value at the absolute low end of cost. 

a cheap poor quality sweet beer

toxic palm oil fried rice and cheap festering meat bits

a decent massage with hand job

maybe see a single poorly maintained temple

That's it. There really is nothing else of value. 

You cannot compare Thailand to Croatia. Summer in the winter is what makes Thailand (and other SE countries) attractive in the eyes of the northerners. Between all SE countries Thailand still has the best infrastructure. And also, cheap women. Go find 30$ sex in Croatia. 

To blame the drop in tourism on the lack of Europeans is somewhat like blaming the ship,s sinking on the amount of water flowing through the gaping holes ! The Europeans are leaving because they are being made to feel unwelcome. Bring back Khun Anand Panyarachan !

17 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The Chinese do spend a lot of Money in Thailand.

However, the money they spend does not go into the Local Economies,s it is spent in purpose built " Shopping Experience Outlets ", where just a few very rich business,s get to see any of it. 

Most of the smaller Bars, Restaurants, and Shopping Outlets are left to feed on the remnants.

Nah. This may happen at group tours. The individual travellers the come to Chiang Mai, and that´s the majority, don´t go to Chinese owned outlets. They visit markets, go to Thai or farang owned restaurants, massages, shopping Center, rent cars and scooters, stay in 3, 4 or 5 star hotels and buy, buy, buy. When last year less came after the ship accident in Phuket came less Chinese the little shop, market stall and restaurant owners were very sad. A friend had to fire 10 of his staff. 

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

You asked, I answered. What´s funny? I am at the hotel as a party and dining guest often. 

It's his standard reaction when given first hand facts against his wild theories.

I wouldn't waste your time if I was you.

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Prices gone up in hotels? Really? 4-5 star hotels for 1200 baht is price going up ?????

I've spent a bit of time looking up various 4-5 star hotel room prices in Bangkok, and if you can tell me of any for 1200 then I'd love to know which ones they are. The figures I've found are 3500-5000, and then up for the super luxury class. The price you quote is for 2-3 star places.

9 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Nah. This may happen at group tours. The individual travellers the come to Chiang Mai, and that´s the majority, don´t go to Chinese owned outlets. They visit markets, go to Thai or farang owned restaurants, massages, shopping Center, rent cars and scooters, stay in 3, 4 or 5 star hotels and buy, buy, buy. When last year less came after the ship accident in Phuket came less Chinese the little shop, market stall and restaurant owners were very sad. A friend had to fire 10 of his staff. 

Did you learn all that from the same director? or other directors have told you?

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've spent a bit of time looking up various 4-5 star hotel room prices in Bangkok, and if you can tell me of any for 1200 then I'd love to know which ones they are. The figures I've found are 3500-5000, and then up for the super luxury class. The price you quote is for 2-3 star places.

Yeah my wife travels a lot for work, and most places are 3500 or up, never seen 1200 for anything nice.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Bangkok is NOT the only city in Thailand and look closely on the day of check in for prices and even at 3500-5000 for a 5 star hotel is a joke in comparison to capital cities around the world.

Archived