TAT chief blames high baht and lack of Europeans for drop in Thai tourism

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, nev said:

Why just name Europeans?, What about Americans Australian's New Zealanders Canadian ect, All not coming in equal numbers and going to other Asian countries instead.

Thais know Farang all come only from Farangland.

31 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

You cannot compare Thailand to Croatia. Summer in the winter is what makes Thailand (and other SE countries) attractive in the eyes of the northerners. Between all SE countries Thailand still has the best infrastructure. And also, cheap women. Go find 30$ sex in Croatia. 

True. 

I'm partial to Georgian women, but I would consider a beautiful Croat woman. 

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've spent a bit of time looking up various 4-5 star hotel room prices in Bangkok, and if you can tell me of any for 1200 then I'd love to know which ones they are. The figures I've found are 3500-5000, and then up for the super luxury class. The price you quote is for 2-3 star places.

The 4 star hotel in Bangkok where I usually stay is the Le Tada Parkview and I pay around 2,000 Baht per night. A very good rated hotel.

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

Bangkok is NOT the only city in Thailand and look closely on the day of check in for prices and even at 3500-5000 for a 5 star hotel is a joke in comparison to capital cities around the world.

Again, tell me of any 4-5 star hotels you know for 1200. Thanks. We would all love to know. As Bangkok is not the only city in Thailand I'll let you pick any city you like. I guess you must have some experience of them to quote such a figure. The late booking thing is largely a myth, as the Late Rooms dot com website proves. Rarely any bargains there, just normal prices. Again, tell us of any 4-5 star hotel you've booked into that quotes 1200 on the day of check in.

When you re-visit reality, yes, 3500-5000 is a good price for such properties. But you claimed there are such rooms for 1200, not 3500-5000.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Again, tell me of any 4-5 star hotels you know for 1200. Thanks. We would all love to know. As Bangkok is not the only city in Thailand I'll let you pick any city you like. I guess you must have some experience of them to quote such a figure. The late booking thing is largely a myth, as the Late Rooms dot com website proves. Rarely any bargains there, just normal prices. Again, tell us of any 4-5 star hotel you've booked into that quotes 1200 on the day of check in.

When you re-visit reality, yes, 3500-5000 is a good price for such properties. But you claimed there are such rooms for 1200, not 3500-5000.

Again look on the day of check in , and who in their right mind uses laterooms? outdated site that outlived itself about 18 years ago.

Agoda is where you look for best prices on the day of check in.

Less than 2 weeks ago, got a 5 star in Jakarta for 705 baht per night, plus taxes,

Thailand is the same, deals of the day, last minute sales and member prices

25 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Yeah my wife travels a lot for work, and most places are 3500 or up, never seen 1200 for anything nice.

I travel a lot. (Been in half of provinces in Thailand) and most of time 4/5 star. You can find many nice 4 star hotels for 1000-1600 easily with search, as for 5 star never seen any nice one under 1700 either, and usually over 2000-2500 even during their renovation/opening period. But most nice 4 star hotels I find for that price often increase price later on. I’m guessing I’m taking advantage of low seasons, avoiding Friday-Saturday’s and marketing strategies.

4 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

The 4 star hotel in Bangkok where I usually stay is the Le Tada Parkview and I pay around 2,000 Baht per night. A very good rated hotel.

That is not what I would describe as 4-star, whether that is what they claim or not. A very decent 3-star though and the reviews are good. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Drax said:

I travel a lot. (Been in half of provinces in Thailand) and most of time 4/5 star. You can find many nice 4 star hotels for 1000-1600 easily with search, as for 5 star never seen any nice one under 1700 either, and usually over 2000-2500 even during their renovation/opening period. But most nice 4 star hotels I find for that price often increase price later on. I’m guessing I’m taking advantage of low seasons, avoiding Friday-Saturday’s and marketing strategies.

Most places I am talking about we go to because of her conferences, and amenties are usually wonderful, so yeah....not cheap!

8 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Here we go...

Yes high baht is part of it. Next stop beating up forieners, 2 tier pricing, driving like muppets on the roads. Start giving way on roads and start saying please and thankyou even in thai. Over stayers warn them next time singapore cane them 20 lashes. Beating up forieners 30 lashes. Rapists, child molesters, trafficking 50 lashes plus jail. 

7 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Thailand has opened the Pandora's box with the Chinese;
I fear that they will soon have to cry all their tears when we see what is happening in Cambodia which is literally invaded, submerged by the Chinese;
everything is now for them; everything is written in Chinese.
Europeans who had found a haven of peace are asked to go elsewhere.

I know you are right about Cambodia as I am a regular visitor. IMO, I think people would be advised to go to Vietnam, prices still cheap, pleasant immigration, very welcoming, great beaches, tons of sightseeing and cheap beer and cigarettes for those that need them.

Also, no chance of the Chinese taking over in good old Vietnam!

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I know you are right about Cambodia as I am a regular visitor. IMO, I think people would be advised to go to Vietnam, prices still cheap, pleasant immigration, very welcoming, great beaches, tons of sightseeing and cheap beer and cigarettes for those that need them.

Aklso, no chance of the Chinese taking over in good old Vietnam! 

I agree. But the Chinese topic - give them time ????

17 minutes ago, Drax said:

Thailand seems to operate a very fluid '5 star'.  we have places like the Hua Hin Hilton, which felt like a genuine 5 star, then down through more '4 starry' places like Wora Bura (otherwise a lovely resort near Hua Hin) and then places like Dream Sukhumvit, and a few near Pattaya we've stayed in with '5' on booking etc that really would be 3-4 max in London.

When people ask me about Thailand and say they want to go someday I tell them the beer is the same price or more than bar here or a grocery store here and it tastes like shit.  I tell them the beaches are disgustingly filthy they cannot believe how much trash the hotel staff has to clean up the beach everyday or it looks like a garbage dump. I tell them a scuba diving has been destroyed and overfished.  I tell them the place is overrun with Chinese tourists groups who speaks so loud.  I really wished I would have travel to Thailand 20 years ago because there is no doubt I missed the good old days. Chinese just started coming to Thailand they say only 5% of Chinese have passports.  well I think Thailand has basically burned their bridge with the Chinese because social media is how things work now and I'm sure many Chinese are relating horror stories.   Greed and corruption.  

8 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Thailand has opened the Pandora's box with the Chinese;
I fear that they will soon have to cry all their tears when we see what is happening in Cambodia which is literally invaded, submerged by the Chinese;
everything is now for them; everything is written in Chinese.
Europeans who had found a haven of peace are asked to go elsewhere.

Yep, but that's not the end of it. Chinese investors are on their starting marks and watching ASEAN meeting closely.

8 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Wait ..................... What  ????

Hey why not tone down the anti western (farang) bias in the media, improve safety, work on stopping the blatant scams, and hey I am going to say it ................................. 

Actively Encourage Western Euro Tourism. ????????????

I'll shut up now, it was just a wild idea.

And take care of the expats living and SPENDING here,,,,easier immigration formalities would be a good start.  Like LomSak said, just a pipe dream....

8 hours ago, BestB said:

Well that’s in total contradiction to our Thai visa experts who claim Chinese outspend Europeans. 

Would appear Chinese spending does not make up for loss of European money . 

When you see the groups walking around behind a flag bearer they are not spending anything except the cost of the tour,run by Chinese anyway. Now they can’t spend it on Prostitution as there’s none in Thailand . 

1 minute ago, terryofcrete said:

When you see the groups walking around behind a flag bearer they are not spending anything except the cost of the tour,run by Chinese anyway. Now they can’t spend it on Prostitution as there’s none in Thailand . 

I totally disagree.  7-11 and family Marts outside their lodgings always sells out of mama noodles and other cheap crap????????

2 minutes ago, justin case said:

why do these dudes not make a simple calculation:  how much is a farang that lives here 365/24/7 spending compared to zero baht spend chinese busloads

Farang spends money with locals = none for Elite

Farang spends money on extended family = none for Elite

Farang sends children to international schools = none for Elite

Farangs internationally educated children are more worldly = Less Serfs for Elite

Farang supports and spreads Democracy = Not Elite Approved

Etc Etc Etc...

I think they have calculated properly, they just don't like the result.

Archived