Cities for moving

Danil Ishimov

1 hour ago, lipflipper said:

Stay away from Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui, the whole of Issan and anyplace that does not an International Airport. That narrows your choices to places like Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Surat Thani.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks a lot for your message. It's very helpfull ????

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

Most people end up living where their mate/wife is from.. Call it a family kinda thing..

All places have their benefits and not so good benefits. What are the things you like to do ? Golfing then find a city that has several golf courses within a reasonable distance and price. There is tournament pool for people who like to play pool/billiards in most of the small to larger cities that have westerners or Farangs ..

I nearly moved to Pattaya just for the golf several years ago but the traffic and roads were a big turn off for me.. but the golfing there (surrounding area) is hard to beat.

Unless you are talking about a small village most cities have restaurants and even a few bars if that is your thing..

Like another poster said it just depends on what you like to do... I would avoid the deep deep south unless you like the bombs and bullets of the radical separatist which can be bothersome at times.

• Haha 2

I'm going to recommend greater Pattaya.  I use greater because there are many choices available--from the bustling city center area to quieter parts like Wong Amat, South Jomtien, Na Jomtien, Cosy Beach, and the Darkside.  You should be able to find a neighborhood that suits your needs, with plenty of housing choices in condos and homes, both to rent or buy in a wide range of prices.

Great shopping, a huge variety of restaurants, excellent hospitals, good recreation choices, close to Bangkok and two international airports, several movie theaters with movies in English, and a large expat community.  Worth a look.  

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Danil Ishimov said:

What do you think about the best city for foreign people? If someone would like to move to Thailand wich city you can suggest and why? Thank you for your replies

Depends on your age and what sort of lifestyle you want.

I can't imagine living anywhere but Bangkok.   

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

You need somewhere with plenty of farangs. Lots of people come here with the belief that they don't need other foreigners, they can be happy mixing only with the Thai people. That may be true in a very small number of cases but most people get very lonely very quickly without a decent choice of people to mix with who at least speak their own language and share a common culture/sense of humour. On top of the social aspects, the more farangs there are around, the more there are likely to be shops and restaurants catering to farang tastes. Thai food can get pretty boring after a while if that's all there is to eat. I've got one friend who lives up-country in Isaan and the nearest place to get decent bread is the Tops in Ubon, which is a 150 km round-trip for him. Crazy for a couple of loaves of bread.

Isn't there 7-11s?

49 minutes ago, newnative said:

I'm going to recommend greater Pattaya.  I use greater because there are many choices available--from the bustling city center area to quieter parts like Wong Amat, South Jomtien, Na Jomtien, Cosy Beach, and the Darkside.  You should be able to find a neighborhood that suits your needs, with plenty of housing choices in condos and homes, both to rent or buy in a wide range of prices.

Great shopping, a huge variety of restaurants, excellent hospitals, good recreation choices, close to Bangkok and two international airports, several movie theaters with movies in English, and a large expat community.  Worth a look.  

What about the girls? Oh! wait. If it does not happen in Walking Street, then it is not going to happen in 

greater Pattaya. :cheesy:

Of course, very broad subject and depends on individual wants and goals... 

Big known places if you want to hang with foreigners... small cities if you want to make friends with Thai people, learn about the language and unique culture... 

most people will start out in a place w/some Western familiarities, like movies and food.. then slowly transition to out of town... even small villages these days have great internet service... makes them more liveable. 

good luck

• Like 2

14 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What about the girls? Oh! wait. If it does not happen in Walking Street, then it is not going to happen in 

greater Pattaya. :cheesy:

What about the girls?  I've lived in Pattaya 9 years and walked on Walking Street exactly once when I first arrived.  Apparently, you can enjoy a good life in greater Pattaya without stepping foot on Walking Street or Soi 6.  But, that was my point, the wide variety available for whatever floats your boat in greater Pattaya. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

When I was choosing where to live, I had some criteria in mind:

Near to at least two international hospitals (within 50km)

Within 3 hours driving distance of BKK

close to good quality western food, if I needed it (within 50km)

Near the sea

Excellent internet service

close to if not in the rural parts, no city for me. 

That narrowed down my choices and I settled on a location between Rayong and Ban Chang. I have never regretted that decision. Note, being close to other farangs was not on my list. 

Pilotman......

My Thai wife and I are moving from los angeles to Rayong in 2 months, but we are looking for a real nice area to live. Can you suggest a few awesome areas to live near the ocean.....?

22 minutes ago, buddhadug said:

Pilotman......

My Thai wife and I are moving from los angeles to Rayong in 2 months, but we are looking for a real nice area to live. Can you suggest a few awesome areas to live near the ocean.....?

My own choices would be around the Mae Ram Phueng Beach area at the Khao Laen Ya National park end. about 15km East of Rayong. Other nice area is Ban Chang, around 18 Km west of Rayong City. If you take the time to drive around both of them, you can find very attractive locations and accommodation (houses and Condos) at very reasonable prices to either rent or buy. If you can be a bit further away from the sea and a little more off the beaten track, take a look slightly north of Rayong and the 36 road. Very attractive rural villages around that area. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1