Thailand is where Brits are most likely to have holiday emergency and make insurance claim: study

rooster59

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It makes you wonder if the 37% who don't buy travel insurance think that holding up a British passport will exempt them from any traffic accident. Perhaps it's the British equivalent of an amulet?

Of all the youngsters who come to Thailand and rent a motorbike, most will fall into one of the following categories:

1 - No motorcycle license.

2 - Had consumed alcohol beforehand.

3 - Not wearing a helmet.

4 - Driving without due care and attention.

Any of those and the insurer won't pay out anyway. Some won't pay out if you were carrying a passenger.

Just checked a well-known travel insurers policy aimed at young people and they won't pay out for a motorcycle accident if they can show it was your main mode of transport. I bet loads of people come to Thailand after having bought basic travel insurance and feel safe hiring a bike because of that, little do they know that the company has many ways to avoid paying out.

A 3 month multicountry policy for a healthy 28 year old is around £300 which is about 12000 baht - I'd bet that 12000 baht would be much more helpful in an emergency than the insurance policy. Of course, older travelers with long-term illnesses could incur huge costs if they fall ill and require surgery or repatriation, but then they pay exponentially more for their cover.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, silver sea said:

But how many of these people are on Non Immigrant O-A long stay visas I wonder? i.e. the ones who, it is alleged by the authorities, are incurring huge medical bills and are then disappearing without paying them.

Very few, if any, as travel insurance from the UK is not valid for those on long stay.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Traubert said:

For a lot of Brits (and I am one) all day drinking is an essential element of any holiday.

Accidents will follow.

Especially on Thai balconies with their knee high balustrades.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MartinKal said:
8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It makes you wonder if the 37% who don't buy travel insurance think that holding up a British passport will exempt them from any traffic accident. Perhaps it's the British equivalent of an amulet?

That is not a useful remark, bluesofa. 

It must be, so far 9 people have enjoyed my post.

The people who don't buy travel insurance must have some insight as to why they don't need it. How do you know they're not on the same level as the Thais who believe in the power of the amulet?

From the Daily Express a few years ago:

But the government body did release in-depth details for one tourist hotspot, Thailand, where they published figures relating to all deaths of British nationals in the country.

Covering last year, 2015 and 2014, they revealed 151 people died a ‘natural death’ in the south east Asian nation last year, down from 213 in 2015 and 200 in 2014. 

Last year 66 people were classed as dying a ‘hospital death’, while 73 people are counted as ‘missing’, 12 people died ‘accidentally’, and the cause of death for 169 people is ‘unknown’. 

And breaking down deaths by age group, those aged 50 and over saw the highest number of fatalities, possibly age-related, when compared to other age groups.

Last year 378 people in that age category died in Thailand, compared with 74 people in all other age groups. 

The chilling figures come as Spain has been gripped by a series of anti-tourist demos, with marches through towns and banners and graffiti urging holidaymakers to go elsewhere. Some of the messages scrolled on buildings included ’tourists go home’ and ‘tourists go home refugees welcome’. ????????????

Edited by Andrew65

9 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Right - another way of interpreting this information is that of the common tourist destinations, Thailand is the one with the most dangerous roads, highest risk of bring the victim of a crime, and the greatest chance of unforeseen cancellations. 

Correct. Try doing the safe thing here and use a pedestrian crossing to cross the road........

As reading quite frequently Thai Visa i can see that most problems and trouble and accidents are happen to Brits. They mostly have no insurance, begging for help after they do stupid things and get into trouble. So these people procuce a  bad reputation for other travellers from Europe. Sorry brits i have to say that!

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Kasane said:

Wonder why Britishers are so prone to accidents in foreign countries? Is there some incentive?

Sure is , they are mostly piss heads .

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, the guest said:

Another reason to ensure insurance now becomes mandatory for all guests to the kingdom.

Insurance is scam/rip off , that is why they make profits . buisness .