advice on filling in the TM30 confirmation of foreigner address

Have received word from my Thai landlord  for me to fill in the TM30 confirmation of foreigner address

which he will sign plus provide the required  paperwork

which I will send to Immigration 

looking at the TM30  Name address information to be filled in ect

1.   Part 1   is that my name and current address 

2.  second part wish to notify the address  where Alien received permission to stay temporality in the Kingdom has stayed as   is that the owners ?

plus the on date  month year is that the when I first moved in about 5 years ago

or when I returned and entered the Kingdom from a visit to the UK last year

he then completes the form with his signature and   signs as Owner 

advice gratefully accepted 

1. If your landlord is submitting the TM30 as the owner, then this will be his name and his registered address. If you are submitting the TM30 as the possessor, then this is your name and your current address

2. This is the address of the place where you currently stay

If you put a date 5 years ago in there, this means you give them in writing that you and your landlord broke the law, and you might be fined for not having done it back then.

I would just put the day when you submit the form to the immigration office as the date on this form.

• Like 2

The date is last time you began a stay at the address (mine was questioned as was 16 years ago but have not traveled so was right).  

The TM30 is what hotels have always been required to report to immigration for anyone staying overnight (why they, if doing job, had to have your passport/information).  This applies to any residence in Thailand and is now being enforced by not allowing foreigners to obtain normal immigration actions without having on records at Bangkok and some other locations.  All landlords should be doing but actions has been slow - now using tenants to place pressure and in some cases allowing them to do the reports.  Fines are starting to become common - was 800 baht and now often 1600 baht for each instance of non or late reporting (you have 24 hours).  Image result for 1984 movie image

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I have been living in my current rental for 3 years. Have done 3 extensions, 90 day reports etc. Would I have done a TM30? or are you only saying needs doing if you travel go somewhere new?

It depends upon the office you report to. If you have not been asked for one before chances are you will not be asked for one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon the office you report to. If you have not been asked for one before chances are you will not be asked for one.

Khon kaen. It may well be I have filled one out. I never pay attention to form numbers. What is the process if I go and stay at a hotel for a night or 2?

You would know if you had filled out TM30 as only house masters were allowed to do previously (unless giving power of attorney) and it is a two page form.  They only started asking at Bangkok immigration this year.  They check records and if they see last report being something other than what you list on TM7 a report is required.  So if you had previously stayed in a hotel that reported that would show up on database as last address and a new report would be required (again this is Bangkok).

5 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Khon kaen. It may well be I have filled one out. I never pay attention to form numbers. What is the process if I go and stay at a hotel for a night or 2?

I have seen no reports of them wanting one after you stay in a hotel. Like many offices they do not go into a database to check if you have had one done by a hotel.

So the TM30 is required to be filled out, and copies of passport attached, every time a foreigner checks in to a Thai hotel? What happens to these documents, there must be tens of thousands produced every day - where do they all go, and does anybody ever look at them? Surely there must be warehouses all over Thailand literally packed with paperwork.

Edited by SteveK
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SteveK said:

So the TM30 is required to be filled out, and copies of passport attached, every time a foreigner checks in to a Thai hotel? What happens to these documents, there must be tens of thousands produced every day - where do they all go, and does anybody ever look at them? Surely there must be warehouses all over Thailand literally packed with paperwork.

Hotels report online.  No forms or documents.

What about this scenario. 

Farang dies.

Relatives come from home country for the funeral.

Stay at the deceased house and with other Farang neighbours.

All give deceased address on arrival card. (They don't know the neighbours address)

Who does the TM30?

Because for sure the widow and the other Farang wife wouldn't know about a TM30 from a Light and Bitter.

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nobody unless they need to do something at immigration.

But the times they are a changin - expect many (or at least some - this is Thailand) homestay/rental providers are getting the word with public shame photos/fines and a lot of tv public service videos recently.  But as said foreigners should not be involved other than providing the information to landlords in a normal world.  The 90 day reports, this TM30 and the still mostly inactive TM28 requirements do not fit will in today's world IMHO.  Perhaps they will end when we get our implants. ☹️

Image result for microchip implant

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But the times they are a changin - expect many (or at least some - this is Thailand) homestay/rental providers are getting the word with public shame photos/fines and a lot of tv public service videos recently.

I was just pointing out the reality of how things are now and in the past. They do not go out chasing down people for a TM30 report not being done for or by them. The very few cases reported are when the police or immigration have done a raid on condo buildings and such looking for illegals and owners not doing the reporting.

I would guess that most tourists have never heard of a TM30 form muchless done one.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have lived in Pattaya for fifteen years mainly at one address & have  never been asked for one.  I am about to change address.  Do I report my change of address?  Will this necessitate my landlady filling in forms or do I continue to fly under the radar?

31 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I have lived in Pattaya for fifteen years mainly at one address & have  never been asked for one.  I am about to change address.  Do I report my change of address?  Will this necessitate my landlady filling in forms or do I continue to fly under the radar?

You will need to report your change address or it could create problems later.

With a copy of your rental agreement, copies of you landlady's house book and ID card signed by her you could do the TM30 report yourself.

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Nobody answered my question - what is the TM30 database used for?

In theory they would know your whereabouts (where your staying) at any given time. 

In reality used for nothing.

Not too many folk involved in illegal activity file a tm30 one would imagine.

The tm30 serves zero purpose. 90 day reports in second place by short half head.

It can and would be used to find and contact people in Thailand in the event of official or law enforcement requests.  The number of contact requests that various embassies receive daily is huge and often family has no idea where they are, much less hotel name.  For such a database is very useful and am sure is the original reason for it - even if just to alert the guest to call home due family emergency.  Hotels have always been asked to do.

10 hours ago, SteveK said:

Nobody answered my question - what is the TM30 database used for?

A cross reference so that immigration know the location of every single foreigner in the country. 

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need to report your change address or it could create problems later.

With a copy of your rental agreement, copies of you landlady's house book and ID card signed by her you could do the TM30 report yourself.

Thank you.  Such a joy to have an oracle on tap.

So, let's say a British man is living in Thailand and something happens in the UK - for example his house has burned down. If the UK authorities are unable to contact him through normal methods, they can request that the Thai government get hold of him? I can't see them doing that to be honest. It makes much more sense when you start to think about criminals living in Thailand, and their home country wanting them to be extradited. But then, as has already been mentioned, these people probably won't be filing a TM30 anyway, so I really don't see the point of the huge effort to administer it.

Once you monetise it by charging fines, then it seems to be nothing other than a cash-grab, and another means by which the government can deport people for not following the rules.

Edited by SteveK