Withholding Tax `- CM

scottiejohn

You will probably need to complete a tax return. They will help you fill it out at the tax office. If you are on a retirement extension, the answer is mai mee to virtually all sections apart from Thai bank interest. Thai tax years end on 31 Dec and returns should be in no more than 3 months after the end of the tax year.

If you are talking about a savings account, take your tax I.D. number to the bank and they may stop withholding the withholding tax.

1.  Thanks UJ but I don't see in the second link anything pertaining to someone who is retired, has no taxable income and needs to get this TIN/PIN. Any idea how I get the TIN/PIN, can I get it online or go to an Office?

2.  Is their anyone in CM who has done this recently and with any info on what they did?

3. It is not a lot of money at stake but I am Scottish after all. FYI.  I am using the 800,000 in a fixed a/c with BKK and I beleive many people may be interested in how to recoup the theft of 1800 from their a/c every year!

PS; I have read "PIB's" posts on this subject and they indicate that things, as usual, vary by region.

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I thought I saw it mentioned in previous discussions on this topic that you can claim tax refunds up to 3 years in arrears?

Yes, you can. It may well be more than 3 years, not sure. However you may well be fined 200 Baht for a late filing. This is even though your Thai taxable income consists of bank interest only and you are nowhere near the personal allowance (the threshold at which you start to pay income tax). It is ridiculous. 

I know this is TV but as I have already said I have read PB's posts and discussions there about opinions and outdated info not necessarily applicable to CM, but I would love it if people could possibly stay on topic and provide information that is factual with regard to  CM in the last year. i.e.
1.  Where did you go
2.  What documents did you need
3.  How did you get your PIN/TIN etc

If and when I get thru this procedure I will post my experiences for the benefit of all.

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I know this is TV but as I have already said I have read PB's posts and discussions there about opinions and outdated info not necessarily applicable to CM, but I would love it if people could possibly stay on topic and provide information that is factual with regard to  CM in the last year. i.e.
1.  Where did you go
2.  What documents did you need
3.  How did you get your PIN/TIN etc

If and when I get thru this procedure I will post my experiences for the benefit of all.

A few comments which I hope help to some degree:

(1)  To get withheld interest back (if you qualify...and you will if you had no other income in Thailand other than bank interest), you need to file a tax return.  They will do this for you at the Revenue Office.  And to file a tax return, you first need a Tax ID number....and they'll also do this at the Revenue Office.

(2)  I first did this many years ago at the Revenue Office up on Chotana Road.  I got a tax ID number on the first floor (took about 10 minutes....all they wanted to see was my passport) and then went up to the second floor and some nice lady actually filed a return for me online and I ended up getting a check for the withheld interest in about a week.  Then, for a few times, I filed the annual tax return online myself (which isn't easy as it's all in Thai....but I luckily figured it all out) and the refund was paid directly to my SCB bank account.

(3)  However, things have changed.  This past January, I couldn't even find the online deal (the site I used before is kaput) so I marched out to the revenue office on Chotana Road.  They told me I had to go to the revenue office on Charoen Prathet (on north side of the road about 300 yards east of where that road hits Chang Klan).  Apparently, where one goes depends on one's residence location (I live on the west side near Sirimangkalajarn Road).  Now, once I got to the other office, I see two buildings - #1 on the left and #2 on the right (if my memory is correct).  I went into the one on the right (figured I had a 50/50 chance of being right), took a queue number from the machine and in about a half hour it was my turn.  The friendly lady took my information*, filed a tax return for me online, and said I'd get a letter or something in a week or two.  In 2-3 weeks, I got a letter thing from the Revenue Department and it was all in Thai and made no sense to me (other than I could read it said something about Kasikorn Bank).  A Thai friend read it and told me I had to go there for my refund.  So went to the Kasikorn branch at KSK and, after a 15 minutes or so, a lady there took a look at the letter and my passport and ended up giving me a "sorta-ATM" card which one takes to their ATM machine and withdraws the cash (refund) that way.  Apparently, the Revenue Office is only giving tax refunds this way any more [there are three options....have Kasikorn deposit the refund to your Kasikorn account if you have one, get your refund via Prompt Pay (whatever that is), or get the "sorta-ATM" card and withdraw the money yourself].  Actually, the process (although a bit confusing at first), was easy.

(4)  As a somewhat humorous note, at the end of the process the Revenue lady looked at me somewhat sternly and said "Next year, go the correct building!  It's the #1 building next door."  Apparently, if you live on the west side, it's the building on the west (which I'll try next January!).

(5)  Finally, would note you can actually get back withheld interest for the prior 3 tax years (this January, I got back 2 years worth as the amount for 2017 didn't merit me bothering with it). The banks have this interest form on their computer so they should be familiar with what you need to show the Revenue Department.

(6)  I know nothing about late filings or fines...although I did read somewhere long ago that you're supposed to file the return before March or before some such date.  I've always done it in January.

*When I first did this, I had to have an interest statement (sorta like a US "1099" form) from my bank but his year, I simply wrote down the interest withheld from my accounts and gave that to the Revenue lady (plus, I'd note, my actual bank passbook listed the amounts withheld and she looked at that too).  I'd recommend you get that bank form the first time you seek a refund as the form has your bank's tax ID number.  I apparently got away with not getting that document this year as I had my bank's (SCB) tax ID number from prior forms and/or the Revenue lady either verified that via my bankbook or verified the amount from Revenue Department records as to exactly how much SCB withheld and sent to the Revenue Department.

11 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Just the info I was looking for.  Are there any special docs I need apart from the bank forms, passport and Bank book?

I have a loose memory (don't trust it...I wouldn't) that the lady at the Revenue Office who gave me the tax ID number wanted a Residence Certificate and she accepted a photocopy (versus an original) that I had that was not very fresh; perhaps take that (if you have an old copy)....or a lease copy or ownership papers if you own a condo?

Other than that (and, like I said, I'm not sure about that....it was many years ago), nothing else was required.

26 minutes ago, CMBob said:

I have a loose memory (don't trust it...I wouldn't) that the lady at the Revenue Office who gave me the tax ID number wanted a Residence Certificate and she accepted a photocopy (versus an original) that I had that was not very fresh; perhaps take that (if you have an old copy)....or a lease copy or ownership papers if you own a condo?

Other than that (and, like I said, I'm not sure about that....it was many years ago), nothing else was required.

Thanks CMBOB for a very useful reponse. 
After talking to a local business owner in my area it looks like I need to go to the left hand Chang Klan office (region office 2).  I don;t have a Res Cert but  do have all the stuff I needed to get TM30/Retirement ext (rent agreement/Owner Blue book signed/POA etc) so will take them tomorrow and report back.

Yet again thanks for your help.

As promised here is my update (no1) on claiming back withholding tax in CM if staying in the Pantip Plaza area.
Arrived at Chiang Mai 1 & 2 Revenue Branch at 2-4 Charonprathet road at 0950 select either office 1 or 2 from the areas listed on the boards at the entrance.
Got to information desk and told to go to desk number 10 to get tax number.  Only passport and TM30 looked at/asked for.  (TM30 I assume was to verify my address which was already on the bank withholding tax forms.) After 10 minutes had the number then off to desk 6 for tax refund form.  She would only process the June 17-June 18 form, (not the June 18-June 19) form and told me to go to cashier and pay 200 Bht for being late.  My current withheld tax will not be processed till Jan-Mar 2020 for free.  Was told up to 3 years can be claimed if all three are submitted Jan-Mar 2020 with 2x 200bht fine.  Go later and only the two most recent will be processed again with 2x 200 Baht fine.  Told A cheque will now be sent to me in 4-6 weeks.
All finished by 1040.

Will let you know what happens if/when the cheque arrives.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:37 PM, CMBob said:

Apparently, where one goes depends on one's residence location (I live on the west side near Sirimangkalajarn Road). 

Maybe not.

Nevertheless, if he is an individual, he may also file the application at any area revenue office or area revenue branch office, regardless of where he is domiciled.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/21987.0.html

19 minutes ago, JimGant said:
19 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Nevertheless, if he is an individual, he may also file the application at any area revenue office or area revenue branch office, regardless of where he is domiciled.

Irrespective of what the link may say in your quote above, in CM you must use your local office. above.  I went to the City hall building on Monday and was told I must go to my correct regional office which I did on Tuesday. (See my report  above).

46 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Having fully re-read your link in your quote above it appears to me that it only applies to section one
"1.   A person liable to personal income tax" 

Whereas under section three
"3. A payer of income liable to withhold tax" states;
"(2) In other provinces, the application shall be filed at the area revenue office with jurisdiction over the area where the payer of income is domiciled or where his office is located." 

No other options for living out side BKK are listed so I am confident that the info provided by CMBOB, CM City Hall, my local revenue office and my comments above are accurate regarding withholding tax procedures in CM at this time.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Having fully re-read your link in your quote above it appears to me that it only applies to section one
"1.   A person liable to personal income tax" 

Whereas under section three
"3. A payer of income liable to withhold tax" states;
"(2) In other provinces, the application shall be filed at the area revenue office with jurisdiction over the area where the payer of income is domiciled or where his office is located." 

No other options for living out side BKK are listed so I am confident that the info provided by CMBOB, CM City Hall, my local revenue office and my comments above are accurate regarding withholding tax procedures in CM at this time.

Copy. Any idea of where someone from Doi Saket would go?

11 hours ago, JimGant said:

Copy. Any idea of where someone from Doi Saket would go?

Nope....but am guessing you might need to go to the Chotana Road office (within that big government complex just south of the 700 Year Road) as that office would be the closest to you.  At worst, they'll tell you where else to go.  Would note that (at the Chotana office) you get your tax ID number on the first floor (half way down the hall to the right as soon as you enter the building) whereas the filing of the income tax return occurs on the second floor (the tax ID number person will direct you there).

Motivated by this topic and sight of years of old passbook. I got Tax ID number yesterday at Charoenprathet Bldg 1. Desk 10 review original and signed copies required of......TM30 ! (Yep),

• face page passport,
  • first page bank books,
  • both sides chanote (owner).

Renters would need rental contract, signed copy of owners ID card and maybe tabien baan. Back with yearly interest document from bank. 200 Baht late filing fee.

Told foreigners can't use prompt pay refund will be the letter to go to Kungsri bank in 1-3months. Looks like slow time of year office dead no waiting helpful staff.

Amused easy to get something official I can actually claw back money with.

Versus tabien baan from amphur Muang.  That yellow ghost of limited utility I have almost given up on.

7 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

review original and signed copies required of......

TM30 ! (Yep),

face page passport, first page bank books, both sides chanote (owner).

Renters would need rental contract, signed copy of owners ID card and maybe tabien baan

Typical Thailand "rules".  Same office & desk number as I used last week but as you will see from my earlier report they only looked at the TM30 and copied the Passport pages. Nothing about house ownership or rent agreements!

On 7/1/2019 at 2:23 PM, CMBob said:

Hang dong didnt need anything other than my passport and possibly my rental agreement. Certainly I didnt go get a res paper for it. 

There's another thread on withholding on normal savings accounts, but I can't find it........ so sorry for a thread creep.

Anyway, question: With the new 15% withholding on normal savings account interest earnings (at least at several banks, including Bangkok Bank) for farangs, has anyone reading this gone to their bank with a tax ID and had future withholdings terminated? Pib, a poster here, has successfully done this. But I haven't heard any other reports........ And the wife yesterday inquired at our local bank about this, and got a blank stare.

43 minutes ago, JimGant said:

has anyone reading this gone to their bank with a tax ID and had future withholdings terminated?

BKK told me they would sort that out when I deposit my withholding tax rebate  cheque with them.  I will revert with how that goes in hopefully a few weeks when I get and deposit my cheque.

PS;  I asked the tax office about other options like ATM etc as discussed earlier and elsewhere but they said cheque in the post only. 

What did the card ask for,  just out of interest as all offices are different.

Everything I posted in #20. Also Tabien Baan. I only have the blue one from the previous owner. I don’t have a yellow Tabien Baan. I did not bring or copy the blue Tabien Baan , and it was still OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Date Masamune said:

Everything I posted in #20. Also Tabien Baan. I only have the blue one from the previous owner. I don’t have a yellow Tabien Baan. I did not bring or copy the blue Tabien Baan , and it was still OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not really that important, this being CM, but I asked what did the card actually ask for (a  copy of the card might help!).  You have only said what you did not produce!

• 1 month later...

As promised here is my update (no2) on claiming back withholding tax in CM.  (See post 13 on page 1. for first report)
Eventually received my letter from the tax people,wrong address etc but that is another saga, and went off to the bank in accordance with the following instruction from the letter; 
"Notification of refund of personal income tax  with identification card and / or evidence documents showing you as the 'person with the income that is entitled to receive' refund the tax to contact to obtain a tax refund at Krung Thai Bank Public Company Limited throughout the Kingdom." (as translated from the letter.)
Went to said Bank branch at KSK at 1030 and out by 1050 with ATM card loaded with the refund.  (note this is an E-wallet card, not a savings account card) Only docs required were the Tax refund letter, passport and the small cardboard tax number card I was given at the tax office. Told by the lovely girl to keep the card for next year!
Off to my local BKK branch (Pantip) to register Tax number to stop them taking the tax in future.  After the usual "no can do, everyone pay tax on fixed account" I gently explained that I had spoken to the local (Farang friendly) man at the BKK branch at KSK and relayed what he had explained  to me. The young lad who was dealing with me got on the phone and after obviously being passed around ending up speaking to someone who guided him through the process on the computer to input my tax number into my account/system.  After the usual Passport and tax number card coppying and signing of the usual (blankish) forms (20 mins) I was informed that it was all done and given  appologies for the initial "confusion".  (Well done that man, no concerns about losing face in front of me etc. He just got on with the job)
All in all a fairly painless process and let us see what happens next year when the interest/withholding tax comes due again.

In summary my experience for CM tax rebate is.
Visit correct office for your area.
Provide bank rebate/tax withheld certificate along with passport, passbook and address info.  Ensure you obtain small cardboard card with Tax number.
Wait a few weeks and receive rebate letter;
Take letter along with tax card and passport to Krung Thai Bank.
Obtain ATM card (note this is an E-wallet card, not a savings account card) and get your money.
If you wish to stop tax being taken from scource go to the branch where the account is held. Explain what you want and as usual present passport, passbook and tax card.
All done!

Archived