Nai Harn Lake ‘dark water’ to be flushed into sea

snoop1130

Nai Harn Lake ‘dark water’ to be flushed into sea

By The Phuket News

1561981849_1-org.jpg

The sand will be excavated on Nai Harn Beach tonight (July 1) to allow the dark water to flow into the sea. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET:-- Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos confirmed today that workers will start excavating the channel linking Nai Harn Lake with the sea in order to flush the increasingly stagnant water from the lake.

The alarm was raised as the water in the lake became increasingly darker last Friday (June 28), with some local residents concerned that the water was changing colour due to the wastewater-treatment plant recently built at the eastern end of the lagoon.

However, Mayor Arron assured today (July 1) that the wastewater-treatment plant played no part in the water changing colour.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/nai-harn-lake-dark-water-to-be-flushed-into-sea-71966.php#demo

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-07-01

However, Mayor Arron assured today (July 1) that the wastewater-treatment plant played no part in the water changing colour.

Ah thank you Mayor Arron for spreading those reassuring words.  As you are the mayor, anything that you say must of course be believed by us ignorant peasants. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But yes, everything in the sea, who cares!
Let's color the sea of new and poisonous colors!
Have you ever heard of purifiers?
Let's get up before it's too late (if it isn't already)!

56 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I know virtually every contributor on this forum automatically equates "black" water with effluent, but is that always the case?

I've seen plenty of dark water in stagnant ponds, river pools, puddles, even flowing rivers, that were not stained by human waste, but from natural processes.

Is the Rio Negro the world's biggest sewer pipe?

rio.jpg

Isn't it possible that the simplest answer, that the outflow is blocked because of heavy weather causing stagnation, is the most likely? 

Rio Negro actually means black river, not from sewage, is caused by the decomposition of organic matter in marginal swamps and its low silt content, I don't think black water in this lagoon is caused by the same natural occurrence, it happened far to quickly.

"The dark color comes from humic acid due to an incomplete breakdown of phenol-containing vegetation from sandy clearings. The river was named because it looks black from a distance."

Edited by Aussie999

54 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I know virtually every contributor on this forum automatically equates "black" water with effluent, but is that always the case?

I've seen plenty of dark water in stagnant ponds, river pools, puddles, even flowing rivers, that were not stained by human waste, but from natural processes.

Is the Rio Negro the world's biggest sewer pipe?

rio.jpg

Isn't it possible that the simplest answer, that the outflow is blocked because of heavy weather causing stagnation, is the most likely? 

Agree with you, this is not waste water in there, simply no way for that to get in.

2 days ago I noticed the lagoon has really high water, must be connected to this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

All the floaters will float out to sea 

And not just the floaters I suspect.  However I not doubt many of the Thais involved in this work will be gob smacked by the size of the farangs used condoms which no doubt will also float out. ????????

33 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Rio Negro actually means black river, not from sewage, is caused by the decomposition of organic matter in marginal swamps and its low silt content, I don't think black water in this lagoon is caused by the same natural occurrence, it happened far to quickly.

"The dark color comes from humic acid due to an incomplete breakdown of phenol-containing vegetation from sandy clearings. The river was named because it looks black from a distance."

Thanks for clearing up that up (!), although my question was rhetorical and ironic.

I did know my subject matter, and that one of the world's biggest tributary rivers in the middle of the Amazonian jungle was not black because of sewage (Although the City of Manaus near the mouth, has a population of 2 million).  I also knew the meaning of the name.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Agree with you, this is not waste water in there, simply no way for that to get in.

2 days ago I noticed the lagoon has really high water, must be connected to this.

Yeah was very high, springs tides and almost new moon time probably added some extra.

As i mentioned before, the tainted water at Nai Harn's nothing new, has happened plenty of times.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

So dump it in the sea before any real investigations into the source of the discolouration takes place !!