Centipedes - way too many!

Na Fan

3 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

Chaindrite is effective  but YE GOTS TO CLEAN UP THE RESIDUE ON THE FLOOR!!! we had a plague of baby centipedes in our kitchen and I dosed them with the Chaindrite which did the trick...swept up the little carcasses but neglected to wipe up the oily residue on the polished tile floor and then here comes tutsi and whammo! after ortho surgery and some titanium screws and a plate and there is a distinct hobble, tutsi is a shadow of his former vigourous self...

and the wimmin folk gather around 'gotcher ass where we want ye now...ye wanna get him now, girls?' 'nah, let him squirm a bit...'

I always clean up the residue, and cover my mouth and nose as breathing in that stuff makes me gag, but it is bloody good stuff and kills a range of nasty varmints, sorry to hear about your accident, hope you are okay now.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP, but much like balcony deaths/suicides and the high roads deaths in Thailand it's just part of living here.  Nothing one can do to stop or change it. Just accept it. 

I have had smaller centipedes come up from the shower drain, I place a small plastic container with water in the drain out and it stops them coming in to the shower.

Having been bitten / stung by a 15cm one whilst in bed, yes it feels like fire.

7 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

I have had smaller centipedes come up from the shower drain, I place a small plastic container with water in the drain out and it stops them coming in to the shower.

Having been bitten / stung by a 15cm one whilst in bed, yes it feels like fire.

I made a u bend when i made my shower, keep putting Bleach in that stops things getting in

Millipedes are harmless. we get a lot (and yes, more when it is wet). Typically about 5 cm log and bright red. Just seal up cracks, make sure they are not coming up through the drains ad keep the floor as dry as possible.

I had a cockroach problem I solved by finding where they were coming in, and stuffing it with alcohol wipes. Also, I would pour bathroom cleaning liquid down the drain on the floor a few times a day.

I had a problem like that with roaches when we first moved in 5 years ago and I worked really hard to solve it and so far I very rarely ever see them anymore. I did the same thing I found out where they were coming in from and I permanently sealed it up with cement. We have a back door which serves us no purpose whatsoever lol, if you open our back door it just goes behind our house to a wall we don’t have a back yard only a front yard. It’s a nice yard though and a decent house. Well the back door had a wide gap at the bottom unsealed and I even found a millipede in the house once years ago. So I sealed up the entire back door with cement all the gaps and cracks because we never use it anyway and that did the trick.

I also sprayed pesticide and killed them all I found in the house until I didn’t see them anymore. Then I went outside and found out where they were nesting in the septic system and I lifted the lid and I poured a big bag of rat poison down it. And then I went through about 10 bottles of pesticide killing hundreds of them as they crawled out. Ever since I did all that I solved our pest problem.

I don’t mind when geckos get in they don’t bother me I just hate roaches. Our cat usually kills anything that gets in the house.

I know centipedes can be deadly but I don’t know anything about millipedes. I’ve heard millipedes are poisonous and I’ve heard otherwise as well so I don’t know. I guess I should look that one up for myself.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:57 AM, Speedo1968 said:

Millipedes can enter the house under the smallest of gaps in the doors, even when there is a plastic strip.

Millipedes are not a problem its the stinging 100 leg ones 

On 7/4/2019 at 4:34 AM, wgdanson said:

This one's only a FORTYPEDE!    LOL

So what you really mean is a quadragintapede ????

And anyway, I only counted 36 (including stumps where the legs have been ripped off!), so that makes it a trīgintāsexpede

Edited by PhilAtUbon
  • Haha 1

A few years ago I got stung by an adolescent Arizona bark scorpion -- the most venomous in North America -- that I stepped on in the bathroom. At first I thought it was just an exposed carpet tack in the hallway but the pain kept escalating and felt like 100 bee stings within a few seconds. After googling around, I decided to wait for any possible foaming at mouth or other symptoms before going to work, but I was okay other than numbness and intense burning and tingling. Half my foot ended up being completely numb for about 18 hours. 

I bring this up because it turns out the small, young scorpions are more deadly than the larger, older ones because (1) the concentration of toxin is much higher in the young specimens; and (2) the young ones don't try to control the volume of their injected toxin to hold a reserve as a defense for a possible subsequent attack -- so they shoot their entire load. This makes a lot of sense, considering that the little beasties need maximum defense because of their vulnerable position. I wonder if this holds true for the centipedes as well....

Edited by Carolina Reaper

4 hours ago, Carolina Reaper said:

A few years ago I got stung by an adolescent Arizona bark scorpion -- the most venomous in North America -- that I stepped on in the bathroom. At first I thought it was just an exposed carpet tack in the hallway but the pain kept escalating and felt like 100 bee stings within a few seconds. After googling around, I decided to wait for any possible foaming at mouth or other symptoms before going to work, but I was okay other than numbness and intense burning and tingling. Half my foot ended up being completely numb for about 18 hours. 

I bring this up because it turns out the small, young scorpions are more deadly than the larger, older ones because (1) the concentration of toxin is much higher in the young specimens; and (2) the young ones don't try to control the volume of their injected toxin to hold a reserve as a defense for a possible subsequent attack -- so they shoot their entire load. This makes a lot of sense, considering that the little beasties need maximum defense because of their vulnerable position. I wonder if this holds true for the centipedes as well....

baby Cobras  have the same poisonous  power in their bite as Adults,