18 traditions shortlisted for national cultural heritage list

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Agree. I love Morlam and have been to several concerts. Also have Morlam CDs in the car.

If you're in Pattaya, try Red restaurant on the Darkside. Live Morlam band every night and good Issan food too.

Rarely go to Pattaya but will keep a note of that, there used to be some good cafes there but long gone. Jintara is my favourite, seen her 140 times went from Bkk to Pattaya and back in one night just to see her there with Dernpen.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand needs to push and promote molam to the world. Forget about the boring slow dancing rubbish where they spend what seems like hours moving nothing but their fingers. Molam is something that people can get on board with it's fun and funky as hell. 

11 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Molam is something that people can get on board with it's fun and funky as hell. 

Some of the songs especially the male/female duets remind me of rap battles but much much better. Love it when the woman has a real go at the man for his drinking/womanising. really funny.

Once went to a concert in Nong Khai by a Morlam pop idol guy called Ae. Thousands there and I was up at the front, a bit drunk, and giving it large with my Morlam dancing. The locals loved it and Ae gave me a big shout out. A really memorable night.

When we drive up to Nong Khai, as we reach Issan proper, we always put a Morlam CD on. Really evocative and reminds us that we are in the real Thailand and near home. Brings tears to my eyes.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

11 comment so far. All negative. Nothing positive.

if is a negative story, ok. But this is not. 

About our culture that we are proud of. And none of you know about.

Maybe your culture is to ridicule, mock, criticize and complain.

Everyday. Everything. Our culture, our religion, our people.

Sad people.

Why are you here if you hate us so much?

Very true Yinn- they all have their own sacred cultural habits that they cling to but abhor others for doing the same. One really must ask as you quite rightly did- why are you here.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

The thred is about “Chai Nat’s Khao Sap Ya legend; the legend related to the founding of Lop Buri’s capital; Kalasin province’s “Pong Lang” xylophone; Tak’s “Klong Eud” barrel drum; Pathum Thani’s Mon dance; Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom and Uttaradit’s “Atthami Bucha” ritual; Si Sa Ket and Surin province’s “Ram Trot” dance; Loei’s traditional “Mor Lam Maeng Tab Tao Thai Luey” performances; Surin's Jolmamuad ritual; Nakhon Si Thammarat’s “Hae Nang Dan” festival; Phetchaburi’s stucco work; Nakhon Ratchasima’s “Dan Kwian” ceramics; Petchabun’s “Sin Mee Kan Noy” sarong; Nakhon Pathom’s “In Kon Fon Kaen” martial arts; and Chanthaburi’s “Dui Dui” kite-fighting.“ 

Yinn, do you have anything to say about these traditions being shortlisted? 

@Yinn The only reason why your off-topic comments aren't being removed by the moderators is that you are novelty on this forum by virtue of being a Thai woman, and as such doing so would be bad optics. There are sound reasons for all the things you're accusing foreign nations of being complicit in, but to go into each one of them would derail the thread. Most of them are obvious (ex: why a man from a developed country should find it easier to apply for a visa to a developing country than a woman from a developing country going to a developed one. Because Australia doesn't have an epidemic of males illegally moving abroad to work in sex services! And this in fact has very much with the topic at hand which is the culture of a nation.)

May I suggest starting a new thread address your grievances? I'm sure you'd get many eager responses there.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

My friend go to school in Sydney. She paid 640,000 baht. The local price paid 35,000.

i tried get the visa to visit her, cost lot of money to APPLY. And waste time to go to Bangkok, and 20 page of document. Want to go for 3 week, but they make me pay for 3 month. 

They took the money, but not give visa. Not give money back. 

How much the visa for 3 weeks for you come thailand? How much document for that?

Australia is a country with one of the highest minimal wages. Thousands of illegal Thais there. That's why they can't hand over visa to everyone.

My Thai gf got Aussie tourist visa in 2 days, so probably the problem was on your side.

There are 140,000 illegal Thais just in South Korea

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/society/article/3016962/thailands-little-ghosts-south-korea-use-facebook-find-jobs-and

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

What about world war x2, 

vietnam war

iraq war

colonise

syria war

afghanistan war

korea war

bomb laos

bomb cambodia

corruption 

How many thai bomb the people in other country?

A. We don’t.

Have any month the farang not doing this to another country?

A. Every month

how many mum and kid dead?

Millions

I think that a bigger problem right? Or not?

You say nothing about.....

Chai Nat’s Khao Sap Ya legend; the legend related to the founding of Lop Buri’s capital; Kalasin province’s “Pong Lang” xylophone; Tak’s “Klong Eud” barrel drum; Pathum Thani’s Mon dance; Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom and Uttaradit’s “Atthami Bucha” ritual; Si Sa Ket and Surin province’s “Ram Trot” dance; Loei’s traditional “Mor Lam Maeng Tab Tao Thai Luey” performances; Surin's Jolmamuad ritual; Nakhon Si Thammarat’s “Hae Nang Dan” festival; Phetchaburi’s stucco work; Nakhon Ratchasima’s “Dan Kwian” ceramics; Petchabun’s “Sin Mee Kan Noy” sarong; Nakhon Pathom’s “In Kon Fon Kaen” martial arts; and Chanthaburi’s “Dui Dui” kite-fighting. 

Perhaps I also should have added "aversion to accept criticism of any kind" and "a penchant for deflecting" to my list... which by the way was meant as a sarcastic potshot.

In addition, my comment was a direct reaction to a news story about THAILAND. Hence, my reply focused on THAILAND -- and not the issues of other countries, including war crimes that may have been committed. In the end your reply actually only served to reinforce my point "inability to grasp logic", a trait that seems to be quite wide-spread among locals.

3 hours ago, petemoss said:

Agree. I love Morlam and have been to several concerts. Also have Morlam CDs in the car.

If you're in Pattaya, try Red restaurant on the Darkside. Live Morlam band every night and good Issan food too.

Didn't the "Red"   restaurant   used to be  at the junction  of south Pattaya and third road where Tony's open air workout center is now located ?

3 hours ago, Genmai said:

@Yinn The only reason why your off-topic comments aren't being removed by the moderators is that you are novelty on this forum by virtue of being a Thai woman, and as such doing so would be bad optics. There are sound reasons for all the things you're accusing foreign nations of being complicit in, but to go into each one of them would derail the thread. Most of them are obvious (ex: why a man from a developed country should find it easier to apply for a visa to a developing country than a woman from a developing country going to a developed one. Because Australia doesn't have an epidemic of males illegally moving abroad to work in sex services! And this in fact has very much with the topic at hand which is the culture of a nation.)

May I suggest starting a new thread address your grievances? I'm sure you'd get many eager responses there.

Agree. After living here for decsdes, I see that many Thais (just like Chinese), can only apply rules without context. 

Their philosophy is "eye for an eye" 

You hit me, I hit you. They cannot understand actions in context. 

@Yinn also complained about her friend who had to pay more for school.

I would ask Yinn, 

1. Were the different prices published or were they hidden as they often are in Thailand (Thai script for Thais and Arabic numerals for foreigners)? 

2. Did ask the school if there were different prices for "Thais" and "Chinese" and "French", ect.? Or just different prices for locals and foreigners, for example. Often, the price differences are due to tax deductions locals get for paying (lots of) taxes that actually fund proper things. Unlike in Thailand where 1) most Thais illegally evade taxes and 2) the taxes collected mostly goto corrupt Thai and Thai-Chinese officials. 

3. Can she explain why Thais charge different nationalities different prices? It is a fair, ethical reason? 

I could write a thousand pages defeat 99% of weak Thai arguments, but THAIS DONT CARE, so what's the point wasting time. 

3 hours ago, expatfromwyoming said:

Very true Yinn- they all have their own sacred cultural habits that they cling to but abhor others for doing the same. One really must ask as you quite rightly did- why are you here.

I am here because I can be. I complain because I can do that. 

How are those reasons? 

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

How many time that happen to you?

I dont do that. But if someone else do it, up to them, not my business. Are you are policeman?

Happen to you? Or not. Happen to me, I not cry, fun and make you stronger.

What you going to do about that? Please do it!

Muay Thai.

How many times six Thai fight you?

When farang army fight, they check is fair fight first? Or fight to win with nuclear, etc?

Yinn, many of your responses show your philosophy which is typical Thai philosophy. 

Thai philosophy is like 

- Selfishness

"If something not affect me, I not care. I care only me, papa mama and close family." 

- Lack of Civic Duty

"If the bad thing happen, only the Authority like police or politician can fix. The regular people should never involve. If the person in car accident and dying, do not involve. Just let police fix. Or let the person die. It ok either way." 

- Fatalistic 

"Cannot affect outcome. What will happen is already determine." 

These Thai philosophy are why the country is just like that ????

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

and 20 page of document

Deary me, imagine having to do that every year as an ex pat, that and  all the other useless needless  crap 90 day reporting and TM 30's money you can never spend etc etc ad nauseum. Thailands  visas  system doesnt give you the money back either when applying.

@Yinn The only reason why your off-topic comments

That is what I say, nobody talk about the topic, only about complaining everything else. Who talk about the topic. When I read it I want to talk about some of the things, but no one interested in that. 

Only critisize and complain about everything.

This thred is to address farang grievances about Thailand? Or about thai dance, art, music?

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Is this thred topic for negative comments?

its for "any"  comments good  bad or  indifferent. Many Flangs  dont live in the "everything happy  happy grengjai nonsense" world, its the real world and it doesnt run like Thailand for the most part.

4 hours ago, nickstav said:

I really don't want to argue with you Yinn. I said your initial comment was a fair one, right? Regarding education costs, It is true there are different costs, but that goes for everyone. In America, if I live in New York, but I want to go to school in California I will pay more than somebody who lives in California. It applies to everyone. When I applied for my visa at the Thai Consulate in America I had to pay first. If I was denied they would not have given the money back. But, if you go to a National Park in America you will pay the same amount I pay. And no, it is not ok in my opinion that you are not accepted to visit my country (and I am free to say that criticism about my country without fear).

Wrong. I just asked my friend. All the aussies paid the same price, live in Sydney or Melbourne. Only the foreigner must pay more. 

I believe her, not you. She know. She pay it.

4 hours ago, alien365 said:

Yinn, do you have anything to say about these traditions being shortlisted? 

I want. I know about most of that. I will research the other one.

But people will only mock it and me if I say what I think about it. 

26 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Why did I not see the horizontal business, or "Boom boom paeng reo reo" listed right on top?  

Thais will say prostitution was invented by Farang. Maybe those nasty Adam and Eve Farangs, not sure na

2 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Australia is a country with one of the highest minimal wages. Thousands of illegal Thais there. That's why they can't hand over visa to everyone.

My Thai gf got Aussie tourist visa in 2 days, so probably the problem was on your side.

There are 140,000 illegal Thais just in South Korea

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/society/article/3016962/thailands-little-ghosts-south-korea-use-facebook-find-jobs-and

I want a holiday visa for three week. Not a job.

The reason they say refuse is because I finish uni, not get the job yet. 

But if I have a job, how can I go? No time.

But bargirl in Patong ok to go if have the Aussie customer. 

Stupid embassy.

(I not say your girl is that, but I see other one go, no problem)

20 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Deary me, imagine having to do that every year as an ex pat, that and  all the other useless needless  crap 90 day reporting and TM 30's money you can never spend etc etc ad nauseum. Thailands  visas  system doesnt give you the money back either when applying.

How much apply for a 3 week visa? =0baht

You here already right? I want to go but can not.

37 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I want. I know about most of that. I will research the other one.

But people will only mock it and me if I say what I think about it. 

Come on Yinn .. Looking to you now to keep it on track and as a Thai citizen to let us know abit more about the core subject of the article .. A bit of background to some of it ..

And not at all unsurprising, there can't be a single article on Thai Visa without a bunch of people bashing Thailand about completely unrelated topics.

Seriously, what are you even doing here if you hate the country and everything about it so much?

There's plenty of things to criticize about Thailand, perhaps more than the average country, but does every single news article have to turn into Thai-bashing 101? Do you have to bitch and moan in every single one of them?

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Yinn, many of your responses show your philosophy which is typical Thai philosophy. 

Thai philosophy is like 

- Selfishness

"If something not affect me, I not care. I care only me, papa mama and close family." 

- Lack of Civic Duty

"If the bad thing happen, only the Authority like police or politician can fix. The regular people should never involve. If the person in car accident and dying, do not involve. Just let police fix. Or let the person die. It ok either way." 

- Fatalistic 

"Cannot affect outcome. What will happen is already determine." 

These Thai philosophy are why the country is just like that ????

This is still after all Thailand- like it not its been that way for eons. Some embrace it others don't???

13 minutes ago, Myran said:

And not at all unsurprising, there can't be a single article on Thai Visa without a bunch of people bashing Thailand about completely unrelated topics.

Seriously, what are you even doing here if you hate the country and everything about it so much?

There's plenty of things to criticize about Thailand, perhaps more than the average country, but does every single news article have to turn into Thai-bashing 101? Do you have to bitch and moan in every single one of them?

Oohrah to that- leave it at the bar

7 minutes ago, expatfromwyoming said:

This is still after all Thailand- like it not its been that way for eons. Some embrace it others don't???

Yes, it is Thailand.

Yes, some like Thai culture and some don't. 

Yes, it is legal to dislike Thai culture (for now, at least) 

No, being in Thailand does not require the person like Thai culture.

Yes, the person can be happy and still complain incessantly. 

No, not everyone is seeking to be happy in life. 

47 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Come on Yinn .. Looking to you now to keep it on track and as a Thai citizen to let us know abit more about the core subject of the article .. A bit of background to some of it ..

To be fair I agree with what Yinn is saying,many before him took the thread off topic and were not asked to keep it on track and I think he is doing a fine job defending his position and has put forth reasonable and valid points to support his arguments without being aggressive or inflammatory remarks even though one can quite plainly see that he feels very strongly about it.If I had to choose side in this debate I would choose his side because it is one against many and he is putting up a good fight!Go Yinn and stick it up em!No respect intended.  

35 minutes ago, Myran said:

Problem with many expats is they believe they are fighting an enemy that is just like them. 

They think average nationals are perfectly accepting and regard them highly and are generally reasonable and share their worldview. 

The reality likely that an extremely high percentage of nationals deeply dislike you just for the color of your skin or the country you come from. 

Look how long it took the West to figure out the Chinese. Decades. And, look how quickly, after wearing cute smiles for decades and being regarded as non-threatening, the Chinese can foment deep, pervasive hatred of the West (in this represented by the Americans). Days. Secret - the hate was always there.

Thailand is no different in this regard. Don't you see any of the signs? There is a constant national resentment brewing for Farang. Many are very skillful with smiles and deception. 

Archived