18 traditions shortlisted for national cultural heritage list

snoop1130

I think it may have always been there as they have never been colonised,apparently the only country to achieve this miraculous feat.I think that the resentment is a national trait not only reserved for falangs but just about any body no matter their origins. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Chazar said:

I can criticize my Queen if i want publicly can you? 

10 minutes ago, Chazar said:

I can criticize my Queen if i want publicly can you? 

I believe he can although he may suffer consequences as you may also suffer consequences.If he criticised your queen the consequences would be similar.

7 hours ago, petemoss said:

Agree. I love Morlam and have been to several concerts. Also have Morlam CDs in the car.

If you're in Pattaya, try Red restaurant on the Darkside. Live Morlam band every night and good Issan food too.

Do you have the song: "Mai Mee Tang, bo phenn jang chann mee Baksida"?

A well known Morlam song, I just can't find it anymore. 

DSC01660.JPG

Did Job and Joy record that? I saw that best band for years at a bodlian party on Saturday they were amazing if anyone wants to hire one for a party they were called Pratuang band, based in Samut Prakan I think. Girls came off stage to dance with the audience, not often they do that. SInger were all good and the band.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

I want. I know about most of that. I will research the other one.

But people will only mock it and me if I say what I think about it. 

I don't know hardly any of them so it gives me something to look into later. Regarding the mocking, I obviously can't speak for everyone on here but I expect most would be interested in your thoughts as you are more closely related to them. If people do mock. It's their problem not yours.

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think it may have always been there as they have never been colonised,apparently the only country to achieve this miraculous feat.I think that the resentment is a national trait not only reserved for falangs but just about any body no matter their origins. 

While it is true that Thailand was never colonized the history behind that is quite revealing. Thailand made a lot of concessions to foreign powers, including ceding land on the fringes of some borders to remain independent, and signed treaties that allowed them to remain free, but were not favorable to Thailand. And perhaps most important was a formal arrangement between France and England at the start of the 20th century that in effect made Thailand a "neutral" country. This was done so the 2 big powers could avoid conflict over it. Basically, the agreement was that France wouldn't try to make inroads into India and Malay, and Britain would stay out of Indo-China.

This thread (and many others like it) is worrying. I can't help thinking that ridiculing our hosts translates directly into punitive immigration policies and a general dislike of foreigners that isn't going to do any of us any good.

Not to deprive you of constructive criticism, jocularity, free speech, or the therapeutic effects of feeling superior, but I do think it would be more appropriate to take it to a forum that isn't actually based in Thailand.

22 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

This thread (and many others like it) is worrying. I can't help thinking that ridiculing our hosts translates directly into punitive immigration policies and a general dislike of foreigners that isn't going to do any of us any good.

Not to deprive you of constructive criticism, jocularity, free speech, or the therapeutic effects of feeling superior, but I do think it would be more appropriate to take it to a forum that isn't actually based in Thailand.

What worries me is that you are getting close to sounding like you are bashing the bashers!Sorry couldn't help myself!I too worry that there is some correlation in that regard.

54 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I think a lot of the initial negative posts were done sort of tongue in cheek, mine was. I can understand that the Thai member took offense with these negative posts, but as I said in a subsequent post, the societies that most of us ridicule the most are our own. Ridicule can be a good thing. Too many people become "offended" too easily. I think Thais fall into this category. I don't think it's so much our feeling superior as it is Thais harboring an inferiority complex.

29 minutes ago, nickstav said:

I think a lot of the initial negative posts were done sort of tongue in cheek, mine was. I can understand that the Thai member took offense with these negative posts, but as I said in a subsequent post, the societies that most of us ridicule the most are our own. Ridicule can be a good thing. Too many people become "offended" too easily. I think Thais fall into this category. I don't think it's so much our feeling superior as it is Thais harboring an inferiority complex.

But here on Thai Visa it is literally in the comment section of every single news article. It doesn't matter how positive or inspiring the article is, someone will always find a way to bash Thailand and complain about how bad it is (not saying you're doing this). It's getting old, real old.

It doesn't matter what anyone does or doesn't do – it's always wrong or they always have ulterior motives. We've got the same type of immigrants in my own country, who do nothing but complain and talk about how bad of a country it is. Well if it's so bad, <deleted> off (again, not directed at you, mate).

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Come on Yinn .. Looking to you now to keep it on track and as a Thai citizen to let us know abit more about the core subject of the article .. A bit of background to some of it ..

Take a look here..

http://ich.culture.go.th/index.php/en/ich/performing-arts?start=10

or you can go to Bangkok for the day.

10 hours ago, petemoss said:

Agree. I love Morlam and have been to several concerts. Also have Morlam CDs in the car.

If you're in Pattaya, try Red restaurant on the Darkside. Live Morlam band every night and good Issan food too.

10 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Thailand needs to push and promote molam to the world. Forget about the boring slow dancing rubbish where they spend what seems like hours moving nothing but their fingers. Molam is something that people can get on board with it's fun and funky as hell. 

Morlam is already in the list. This is about what else.

There are different type of morlam. Not just one.

i love “morlam sing” the most. Listen in the car everyday.

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I don’t resentment farang. 

I resentment rude people, thai or foreigner.

i like polite foreigner more than rude thai. I like polite Thai more than rude foreigner. Understand?

yesterday lot of thaivisa people mock, criticize and ridicule Indian people.

today it is Thailand.

tomorrow maybe the Chinese? Russian? Who knows? But it will be someone sure.

Only happy if the complain. Do you know thai person same that?

3 hours ago, alien365 said:

I don't know hardly any of them so it gives me something to look into later. Regarding the mocking, I obviously can't speak for everyone on here but I expect most would be interested in your thoughts as you are more closely related to them. If people do mock. It's their problem not yours.

http://ich.culture.go.th/index.php/en/ich/performing-arts?start=10

10 hours ago, petemoss said:

Interesting. Thailand, with the government's agreement, was used as the main base for committing these atrocities.

That is correct.

The farang lie to us about what they do. Lie so much about Vietnam war. 

They lie to everyone about that. 

https://pulitzercenter.org/reporting/how-us-secret-war-laos-still-happening-today

42 minutes ago, Myran said:

But here on Thai Visa it is literally in the comment section of every single news article. It doesn't matter how positive or inspiring the article is, someone will always find a way to bash Thailand and complain about how bad it is (not saying you're doing this). It's getting old, real old.

It doesn't matter what anyone does or doesn't do – it's always wrong or they always have ulterior motives. We've got the same type of immigrants in my own country, who do nothing but complain and talk about how bad of a country it is. Well if it's so bad, <deleted> off (again, not directed at you, mate).

Not taking your comment personally my friend. Then maybe it's just human nature to do these things. I don't know. Not saying it's right.

35 minutes ago, Yinn said:

There are different type of morlam. Not just one.

i love “morlam sing” the most. Listen in the car everyday.

Morlam is Lao of course not Thai, the only authentic Thai Morlam style's are morlam mu and morlam cing, and that only originated in the 80's. It is lam cing not sing as sometimes written, taken from the English word racing denoting fast pace.

39 minutes ago, Yinn said:

No it isn't. Where does it say that?

I know that Thais look down on Issan people but I find their culture more diverse and interesting than Thai culture.

Nicer people too, much less HiSo.

Likay should be on the list, at least it's Thai, oh it is along with morlam styles nobody really listens to any more, as well as khon who wants to sit through one of those shows, torture. The list is not really live relevant culture of the people.

5 minutes ago, petemoss said:

No it isn't. Where does it say that?

http://ich.culture.go.th/index.php/en/ich/performing-arts/236-performance/190-mo-lam-phuen

Nicer people too, much less HiSo.

Most other people in other region not hiso. You imagination. If you think that you don’t understand.

Just now, Yinn said:

http://ich.culture.go.th/index.php/en/ich/performing-arts/236-performance/190-mo-lam-phuen

Most other people in other region not hiso. You imagination. If you think that you don’t understand.

I was asking "Where does it say that we can't discuss what's on the list?"

In Issan, a lot less HiSo people than in Central Thailand. Probably because there are a lt less Thai Chin.

18 minutes ago, Yinn said:

That is correct.

The farang lie to us about what they do. Lie so much about Vietnam war. 

They lie to everyone about that. 

https://pulitzercenter.org/reporting/how-us-secret-war-laos-still-happening-today

Now you don't know what you're talking about. Thailand welcomed the US with open arms. Why? In the 1950s and early 60s Thais were training with the communist North Vietnamese, were armed by them and carried out insurgent activities within Thailand, including the assassinations of multiple Thai leaders. These same insurgent groups partnered with some of the Muslim groups in southern Thailand to promote discord (which still exists to this day). Yes, The Vietnam War was a terrible, terrible thing, and America had many agendas within that war, but don't try to make out that Thailand was just an innocent dupe in their complicity. Learn some of your own history. 

5 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Now you don't know what you're talking about. Thailand welcomed the US with open arms. Why? In the 1950s and early 60s Thais were training with the communist North Vietnamese, were armed by them and carried out insurgent activities within Thailand, including the assassinations of multiple Thai leaders. These same insurgent groups partnered with some of the Muslim groups in southern Thailand to promote discord (which still exists to this day). Yes, The Vietnam War was a terrible, terrible thing, and America had many agendas within that war, but don't try to make out that Thailand was just an innocent dupe in their complicity. Learn some of your own history. 

Wrong

It's lam cing at the next fm 90 luktung rak Thai concert at Victory monument if anyone is interested, first Sun in August 12-18 hours. Tai Oratai last Sunday, great singer of course just can't dance.

lam cing band is den chai and preawpraw quite good

Archived