UK after brexit...GBP v THAI BAHT

You are saying; they will retry selling to the market they're already in but couldn't sell before? They will rearrange and overcome everything, unlike us.
Nice to have faith in them, at the same time, thinking the UK will not be able to rearrange, overcome anything. We will just fall over after leaving the EU and live in abject poverty.
At the moment we pay in to the EU more than getting back, and we buy from them more than selling to them. 
About 2.4 billion people (not a small market compare to the EU) - live in the Commonwealth's 53 countries. And most of them are under the age of 30.
Queen Elizabeth II is the Head of the Commonwealth. UK news sometimes tell about some of the royal family visit and exchange visit between ministers, some precontracts were signed. That wouldn't be printed in the German newspapers, I think.
The zero-sum old empire stuff. 1955 here we come!

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

For the EU it isn't really a sooner or later problem, you overestimate the importance the UK has for the EU, yes there will be short term upheavals in certain industries but with a home grown customer basis of 500 million these will be overcome, more important will be the rearranging of political alliances in the EU. The UK was an important ally with the austerity block above all with Germany, with the UK gone fiscal discipline will be harder to push through. I read German newspapers everyday, there is hardly a mention of Brexit it's all about their own politics or EU policies. Certain British politicians are mentioned Boris, May, Hunt for example but there isn't the hysterical side taking or even a sense of urgency that Brexit has in all the British newspapers, no wonder the UK is sick of it all.

Whatever importance the UK has for the EU will not affect how the Euro fares. And neither will the German newspapers. 

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Before 1880 the exchange rate was fixed at eight baht per pound sterling, falling to 10 to the pound during the 1880s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_baht

who gives a damn what it was in 1880 ( so, you have proven you can use google, well done , 5 stars for you )

its 2019 and the coming years we are concerned about

5 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

You are saying; they will retry selling to the market they're already in but couldn't sell before? They will rearrange and overcome everything, unlike us.

Nice to have faith in them, at the same time, thinking the UK will not be able to rearrange, overcome anything. We will just fall over after leaving the EU and live in abject poverty.

At the moment we pay in to the EU more than getting back, and we buy from them more than selling to them. 

About 2.4 billion people (not a small market compare to the EU) - live in the Commonwealth's 53 countries. And most of them are under the age of 30.

Queen Elizabeth II is the Head of the Commonwealth. UK news sometimes tell about some of the royal family visit and exchange visit between ministers, some precontracts were signed. That wouldn't be printed in the German newspapers, I think.

Hmm.... sounds like a plan. We should re-fit the Royal Yacht Britannia and have Boris and Reece-Mogg set sail to go in search of the 1950's...

11 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

don't underestimate German newspapers where freelance journalists are writing sarcastic articles. i can vividly imagine their comments on Harry and Meghan selling British banking services to some youngsters in Bangla Desh or William and Catherine promoting British products in Nigeria.

12 hours ago, Brunolem said:

You are only telling half of the story, forgetting that without the extraordinary, and unsustainable, policies of the ECB, the euro would have already failed. 

In order to keep it going, the ECB had to move into negative rates territory and to resort to permanent QE. 

As I wrote earlier, this is like keeping a patient alive under respiratory assistance and constant injections of antibiotics. 

So, technically the patient, the euro, is alive, but it is certainly going nowhere. 

Capitalism, at least true capitalism, cannot work without savings, and savings cannot work with negative interests. 

In the end, something has to give, like pension funds for example, who need some serious fixed income in order to pay the increasing numbers of retirees. 

The EU and the euro are simply living on borrowed time... kicking the can down the road... 

I see your point but everybody is doing QE in one way or another. The situation isn't ideal but these are the times we live in, basically the markets are saturated, in the West all the basics are satisfied, in East Europe there is still some catching up to do but that will happen with joint ventures. Asia is a big market and they have the money (at least some do) hence the mass of joint ventures in Asia. Everybody is waiting for the next big thing to get going again, electric powered cars perhaps. The UK, like the EU will rearrange but I don't think salvation lies in the commonwealth, more likely when the dust has settled new trade agreements will come about between the UK and EU as it's in their best interests, markets beat politics everytime. It is the short term upheavals that are dangerous, industry needs long term assurance before they invest which is why investment in the UK has fallen dramatically. The home counties are the ones carrying the UK, especially the London financial market, once they start to falter then the North will be hit far harder financially than they are now and the independent movement in Scotland and reunification desires in N. Ireland will start to blossom, Chaos could start to carry itself, runaway entropy. EU with its greater diversification won't be so affected but they will still have their own problems with the southern countries. People don't want to be poor and they are, as a mass, easily led, this is the ideal time for demagogues, this can be seen throughout the whole world ( Trump is just a sign of the times ) If there is danger ahead it will come from politics, stable leaders like Angela Merkel are in short supply, people will want fireworks not a stable hand.  

18 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

2.4 billion in the commonwealth but after watching the BBC series 'Boarder control" it seems most of the young there are trying to live in the UK with false college papers, Lagos alone has thousands of visa applications a week to live in the UK followed by the Indians and Pakistanis, can't see much prospect for trade there, swopping Europe for the third world doesn't sound brilliant to me.

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

2.4 billion in the commonwealth but after watching the BBC series 'Boarder control" it seems most of the young there are trying to live in the UK with false college papers, Lagos alone has thousands of visa applications a week to live in the UK followed by the Indians and Pakistanis, can't see much prospect for trade there, swopping Europe for the third world doesn't sound brilliant to me.

We are talking about trade and possibility, Not immigration.

You are so negative about UK.

I am sure Germany, France, Italy, Spain, USA are having plenty of problem with immigration but that does not mean they can not sell anything to those countries where the immigrants are from.

The US sell a lot of products to Mexico despite the immigration problem. Obviously they are not selling to the immigrants.

Out of 2.4 billion, most of them like UK products, it is some kind of a status, there are more than enough people to buy from us.

They are not all poor as you seem to think. How many countries in the EU are rich? Most of them think nothing of UK products anyway.

United Kingdom/Gross domestic product
2.622 trillion USD (2017)

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is a regional grouping that promotes economic, political, and security cooperation among its ten members: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.

ASEAN countries have a population of nearly 640 million people and a combined GDP of $2.57 trillion. 

I would not restrict my future within the EU because it is not wise at all if you look at what is going on in the world.

We are talking about trade and possibility, Not immigration.
You are so negative about UK.
I am sure Germany, France, Italy, Spain, USA are having plenty of problem with immigration but that does not mean they can not sell anything to those countries where the immigrants are from.
The US sell a lot of products to Mexico despite the immigration problem. Obviously they are not selling to the immigrants.

Out of 2.4 billion, most of them like UK products, it is some kind of a status, there are more than enough people to buy from us.
They are not all poor as you seem to think. How many countries in the EU are rich? Most of them think nothing of UK products anyway.

United Kingdom/Gross domestic product
2.622 trillion USD (2017)

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is a regional grouping that promotes economic, political, and security cooperation among its ten members: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
ASEAN countries have a population of nearly 640 million people and a combined GDP of $2.57 trillion. 

I would not restrict my future within the EU because it is not wise at all if you look at what is going on in the world.

The suggestion that being in the EU is a net minus for trade overall a complete nonsense. Usual make it up as you go along Brexiteer Land. Notwithstanding that attempted deflection, will do nothing to convince markets to reverse Sterling downside. Failing yet again to change the subject.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The suggestion that being in the EU is a net minus for trade overall a complete nonsense. Usual make it up as you go along Brexiteer Land. Notwithstanding that attempted deflection, will do nothing to convince markets to reverse Sterling downside. Failing yet again to change the subject.

Statistics on UK-EU trade
Published Thursday, July 18, 2019

UK imports from the EU were £345 billion (54% of all UK imports). ... The UK had an overall trade deficit of -£64 billion with the EU in 2018.

A surplus of £29 billion on trade in services was outweighed by a deficit of -£93 billion on trade in goods.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851 )

Despite the Immigation problem the US is having with Mexico;

These are the biggest U.S. trade partners
China – $636 billion.
Canada – $582.4 billion.
Mexico – $557 billion.
Japan – $204.2 billion.
Germany – $171.2 billion.
South Korea – $119.4 billion.
United Kingdom – $109.4 billion.
France – $82.5 billion.

Statistics on UK-EU trade
Published Thursday, July 18, 2019

UK imports from the EU were £345 billion (54% of all UK imports). ... The UK had an overall trade deficit of -£64 billion with the EU in 2018.
A surplus of £29 billion on trade in services was outweighed by a deficit of -£93 billion on trade in goods.
https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851 )

Despite the Immigation problem the US is having with Mexico;
These are the biggest U.S. trade partners
China – $636 billion.
Canada – $582.4 billion.
Mexico – $557 billion.
Japan – $204.2 billion.
Germany – $171.2 billion.
South Korea – $119.4 billion.
United Kingdom – $109.4 billion.
France – $82.5 billion.

Another economics know-nothing who thinks that a specific trade deficit is part of a zero-sum game. Rubbish re-iteration of populist junk which assumes that stop everything is a positive plus. Have these people studied anything? Ever?

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Another economics know-nothing who thinks that a specific trade deficit is part of a zero-sum game. Rubbish re-iteration of populist junk which assumes that stop everything is a positive plus. Have these people studied anything? Ever?

Only you can argue with facts, out of fear.  Don't piss in your pants. The future is not in Europe.

This week Sterling waiting to see if Boris appoints a Brexiteer nutter as Chancellor.

Markets not impressed with weekend developments in anticipation of Clown Boris election. Sterling does not like no-deal at all.

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Markets not impressed with weekend developments in anticipation of Clown Boris election. Sterling does not like no-deal at all.

Are you writing a new book "Economics in one lesson"?

Lesson one: currency depreciation is all you need to know. ... The End. (of you)

If/ when  brexit  actually  happens , deal / no deal ,  one thing is certain . 

Euro and gbp,  will fall fast.   No win ..

Who will pick up the pieces ..

The  money marketeers  , who seldom loose.. 

7 minutes ago, elliss said:

If/ when  brexit  actually  happens , deal / no deal ,  one thing is certain . 

Euro and gbp,  will fall.   No win ..

Who will pick up the pieces ..

The  money marketeers  , who seldom loose..

Ever seen Terminator 2?

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Ever seen Terminator 2?

Negative , i live in thailand ,    much nicer things to watch in the soi ..

Why travel 6000 miles , to watch movies , so sad . Are you a Kindler ...

Negative , i live in thailand ,    much nicer things to watch in the soi ..
       Why travel 6000 miles , to watch movies , so sad . Are you a Kindler ...

Always like to watch movies on TRUE movie channels. What with Sterling going to the dogs, pockets emptying faster now in Soi Whatever.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:02 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Your biggest worry shouldn't be Brexit but if Scotland will be still in the UK. They have been sponsoring the UK for decades and when they will be independent, the pound will nose dive. 

once scotland leaves,whos going to pay for their "free prescriptions and higher education" the eu? get shot of them,let them go into the euro and rebuild hadrians wall with a few extra courses on top.

10 hours ago, kingdong said:

once scotland leaves,whos going to pay for their "free prescriptions and higher education" the eu? get shot of them,let them go into the euro and rebuild hadrians wall with a few extra courses on top. 

Yes getting rid of the moaning Scots will be icing on the Brexit cake. Be fun to watch them join the Euro and manage without our handouts.

Net Fiscal Balance: Scotland 2013-14 to 2017-18
£ million
                                                    2013-14 2014-15  2015-16 2016-17  2017-18
Scotland - Excluding North Sea      -16,677 -15,682 -15,549 -14,746      -14,768
Scotland - Including North Sea 
(geographical share)                      -13,232 -14,304 -15,499 -14,480      -13,441

https://www.gov.scot/publications/government-expenditure-revenue-scotland-2017-18/ )

15 hours ago, kingdong said:

They will pay for it themselves. they are currently supporting the UK.

12 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I suggest you read a bit more about the Scottish economy (not the BBC version)

What's there to read? I quoted from the government's website. The account (everything included) is Minus 14 billion pounds.

How can Scotland support itself or anyone with minus 14 billion pounds?

What the SNP spends to keep people happy is one of the main reasons that stops Scotland from gaining independent.

The North sea oil is one of UK investments which Scotland gets part of its income.

Archived