UK after brexit...GBP v THAI BAHT

On 7/10/2019 at 4:58 AM, nomad2019 said:

cant see anything mentioning that

He Must've been Dreaming when He Posted that......Over the 43 Years I've been Coming Here the Very LOWEST I've seen was when they DEVALUED The THB Overnight by 50% & It went from 38 One Day DOWN To 19 The Next Day.....

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

He Must've been Dreaming when He Posted that......Over the 43 Years I've been Coming Here the Very LOWEST I've seen was when they DEVALUED The THB Overnight by 50% & It went from 38 One Day DOWN To 19 The Next Day.....

And what happened to the pound in 1985?

On 7/10/2019 at 4:58 AM, nomad2019 said:

cant see anything mentioning that

It's there but long ago:

Before 1880 the exchange rate was fixed at eight baht per pound sterling, falling to 10 to the pound during the 1880s.

10 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Hardly. Its been the Uber Brexiteer team every time that has been muttering about the threat of physical riots if they don't get their way. Which would be a shame as Hard Brexit failure will produce a bounce in Sterling and more spare cash for travel

Brexit failure will damage Democracy and that's more costly than you can imagine. 

2 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

When was that 19 baht period?  Below GBP-THB chart goes back to 1 Jan 1960...almost 60 years back.  Lowest point was 27.3 in 1985.

image.png.acc3a2f7b3eb95742cb57fc862709f01.png

3 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

:cheesy:

On 7/10/2019 at 12:17 AM, Kinnock said:

Both currencies are likely to fall in my view.

UK because business will suffer because of obstacles to exports and increased cost of imports (I know the Brexit supporters will not agree, but it is inevitable) and the Baht is over-valued and will fall due to rising domestic debt and falling economic importance.

Not always practical - but buying a third currency or perhaps gold may be wise?  And try to use GBP from pensions or local wages in UK and locally earned THB in Thailand if possible - as its the currency transaction that hit us. 

Best situation for people loving in Thailand with savings or earnings in UK is Brexit is overturned in a second referendum and THB falls to a more realistic level - but think this is unlikely.

we got a " re moaner "   the british people voted, there will not be a second vote, just accept it. 

On 7/10/2019 at 12:04 AM, geoffbezoz said:

If you took the the trouble to read it you would have done,!!

"Before 1880 the exchange rate was fixed at eight baht per pound sterling, falling to 10 to the pound during the 1880s. "

1880,s   who gives a toss about what happened hundred odd years ago , talking about the future here

1 hour ago, Pib said:

When was that 19 baht period?  Below GBP-THB chart goes back to 1 Jan 1960...almost 60 years back.  Lowest point was 27.3 in 1985.

image.png.acc3a2f7b3eb95742cb57fc862709f01.png

Well done Pib. And that spike there is 91 for a memorable 12th January 1998. Fine vintage but short growing season as the baht wilted in heavy weather!   

There is no crystal ball, no certainty, but I think we can assume that those really in charge, those who are never in the headlines, don't want a hard brexit, it is in nobodies interest. Once the tempers have cooled there will either be a compromise, the can will be kicked further down the road or there will be no brexit. The most unlikely scenario is a hard brexit.

we got a " re moaner "   the british people voted, there will not be a second vote, just accept it. 
What will or will not happen is subject to Parliamentary democracy. On a personal level those expats considering financial options is a prudent way to go. Discussing those options with Brexiteers probably not worth the bother.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There is no crystal ball, no certainty, but I think we can assume that those really in charge, those who are never in the headlines, don't want a hard brexit, it is in nobodies interest. Once the tempers have cooled there will either be a compromise, the can will be kicked further down the road or there will be no brexit. The most unlikely scenario is a hard brexit.
That may be, but the markets are considering an increase in the risk of a Hard Brexit and that is why Sterling is getting clobbered.

Just now, SheungWan said:

That may be, but the markets are considering an increase in the risk of a Hard Brexit and that is why Sterling is getting clobbered.

The risk has to be considered and I dare say a few fortunes will be made in the process. Hard brexit signs will be instead of dulling the British minds with "Love Island" and "Big brother" there will be patriotic films about Nelson, Scot, WW1 and WW2 and we stood alone rubbish, Falklands etc so that the patriotic mind is prepared for hardship (which will only be temporary of course) and money printing.

3 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

Blackpool is not cheap comparing to London. Never mind Bangkok.

eh I come from near Blackpool have family in Blackpool intend moving back to Blackpool - tis cheap as chips in many respects. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71589391.html

One bedroom flat for 1.9m baht needs a bit of work but perfectly liveable - a similar property in Jomtiem would be around the same price. 

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The risk has to be considered and I dare say a few fortunes will be made in the process. Hard brexit signs will be instead of dulling the British minds with "Love Island" and "Big brother" there will be patriotic films about Nelson, Scot, WW1 and WW2 and we stood alone rubbish, Falklands etc so that the patriotic mind is prepared for hardship (which will only be temporary of course) and money printing.

Expats abroad Eu or otherwise won't be on anyone's list for special treatment. I can see in a broke Britain means tested state pension looming into view. 

15 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

GBP getting whacked. Thanks Boris.

Cue Brexiteers usual miserable mantra of the pound was overvalued blah blah blah.....it's not the pound but the Baht everything but Elephant in the room their precious Brexit - the toxic democratic doo-doo whose will must be obeyed. 

On 7/11/2019 at 7:21 AM, JamJar said:

Has anyone ever met a Brexiteer with the power of reason?

I'm not joking.

Not one of them can explain how we will prosper, without bluff and bluster. Ask Boris a question and he responds like a buffoon. No actual answer forthcoming. Just channelling Churchill...we shall fight them on the beaches....

Sorry, but that's not enough. Tell us the plan in so that we can get behind it.

Why for instance, would being without the EU improve our lot? What are the economic policies that we will be able to introduce that we could not before?

Is it that we want to be able to raise Interest rates wherein within EU rules we cannot? 

Please, some Brexiteer explain to me why Brexit is a good thing. What's the plan for if we leave?

Why not tell us? Is it that no Brexiteer actually knows?

The people in the know will get rich either way.  We, the people are the ones who suffer. We are the ones who have to pick up the pieces no matter what happens.

Do you imagine the US can give us a better deal than the EU? The USA too would want their pound of flesh.

Or is this all about not having freedom of movement from the EU?

Or that you want the break up of the EU, so that we can trade individually with European countries.

What's the goal?

perhaps you could do the same . 

tell us how good we will be in the EU, how much it will cost us each year ? How the Lisbon treaty will effect us all ? How the EU will improve the lives of all British people ? How much better off we will be in monetary terms if we remain ?

Would be nice to get the actual figures from a  highly intelligent remainer too 

2 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

1880,s   who gives a toss about what happened hundred odd years ago , talking about the future here

I think your attitude stating "who gives a toss" sums up exactly what is wrong with the younger generation as well as many old dinosaurs.  If people do not learn from history, then simply they never learn. Much like the ostrich with their head in the sand.

perhaps you could do the same . 
tell us how good we will be in the EU, how much it will cost us each year ? How the Lisbon treaty will effect us all ? How the EU will improve the lives of all British people ? How much better off we will be in monetary terms if we remain ?
Would be nice to get the actual figures from a  highly intelligent remainer too 

Its not rocket science for the currency which is the topic for this thread. Currently the risk of no-deal Brexit is trashing Sterling. Not that Hard Brexiteers care about any figures including a Brexit induced down of 25% in Sterling. They are on a nationalist roll and financial downside is acceptable collateral damage.

Archived