Can someone please identify this Snake.

RUOK

Again...one of those..."Can anybody name this" etc.,...My question as always is......What is the reason for wanting to know?  Even after finding out the answer.. and even if you could still remember it one week,... one month ...or one year later.....what use is the information to you.

Over my 19 years in Thailand I have seen this question come up hundreds of times about all sorts of species...and considering there are probably millions that we haven't seen yet ...it would  be impossible to remember even a fraction of their names.... So......why ask.

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

I'll concur with the others, Golden Tree Snake.

Beautiful, very fast, harmless to humans (venomous but rear-fanged), eats bugs and other nasties.

We have loads of these in the garden, they always freak out the Missus when they decide to take up residence under the bed in the spare room, but even the dogs ignore them as no problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Again...one of those..."Can anybody name this" etc.,...My question as always is......What is the reason for wanting to know?  Even after finding out the answer.. and even if you could still remember it one week,... one month ...or one year later.....what use is the information to you.

Over my 19 years in Thailand I have seen this question come up hundreds of times about all sorts of species...and considering there are probably millions that we haven't seen yet ...it would  be impossible to remember even a fraction of their names.... So......why ask.

If you don't know.  What is the harm in asking others who might know?  You don't have to respond if you don't like the question, or don't want to help....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, transam said:

Because a weee snake may have a mum and dad holed up nearby....I have the T-shirt for that....

Good one and true,like seeing a cute little baby rat,you can be sure disease carrying and electrical wiring chewing mum and dad,plus the rest of the brood, are lurking somewhere.

3 hours ago, patsfangr said:

I've caught and relocated several snakes during my 13 years here. I try to avoid killing any creature other than insects (which present various real threats to humans). Since I'm not an expert in identifying snakes, I treat them all as dangerous, and always approach and capture with great caution. But I do think they're beautiful, graceful creatures; and totally agree that nearly all of them will avoid humans when possible. 

That is so,I have seen many long/big Cobras in my time here,and all capable of killing me with just a tiny drop of their venom they always want to just slithery away,I saw a huge lizard strolling across a back road the other day,I thought it was a Croc at first sight,it had to be a good six to seven feet long,I pulled up and watched it slowly make its way to the other side of the road where there was a very large overgrown pond,amazing(no traffic behind me).

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 6:32 AM, watcharacters said:

That holds true for all snakes.

Only Uneducated People kill snakes, leave them alone and they will leave you alone, Most Snake bites are by accident, Very few snakes set out to attack you. Jut treat all snakes as dangerous , walk heavy if in Brush or long grass, the snake will go away from you, Love snakes.

22 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Only Uneducated People kill snakes, leave them alone and they will leave you alone, Most Snake bites are by accident, Very few snakes set out to attack you. Jut treat all snakes as dangerous , walk heavy if in Brush or long grass, the snake will go away from you, Love snakes.

You are probably right but the spitting cobra in my lounge would not bugger off..☹️.... In fact I ended up in the garden, not it.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'll concur with the others, Golden Tree Snake.

Beautiful, very fast, harmless to humans (venomous but rear-fanged), eats bugs and other nasties.

We have loads of these in the garden, they always freak out the Missus when they decide to take up residence under the bed in the spare room, but even the dogs ignore them as no problem.

We get quite a few, but usually dead and hanging from a cat's mouth.

Awwww all these responses about never killing a snake. I’ve hunted and killed deer, ducks, geese, pheasants and thoroughly enjoyed eating them all. And they weren’t trying to hurt me at all. Now if some animal like a harmless snake came by, I would relocate it without harm. However....ANY animal that has the potential to damage me like a poisonous snake and I can safely dispatch it, you can bet your sweet arse, it is going to die. And all you animal lovers and snake lovers can kiss MY sweet arse.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Thongkorn said:

I guess you don't have a dog or small children that play outside.  The snake above is a golden tree snake I have a family of them that co exists with my family with no harm.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thongkorn said:

Amazing how one kill, and all my university years are wiped away.

I would say, only an idiot would leave poisonous snakes around his yard when he has kids playing there. But because we can identify snakes, via education, only the vipers and cobras graduate to the next plane of existence. The rest are left alone. Now my uneducated neighbors kill them all, even the blind snakes, which are actually legless salamanders that eat only termites and have no teeth. They tell me those are the most dangerous, lol.

And this also answers the guy earlier who asks, why do we want to know what snakes is what? I want to know which ones could kill my kids.

11 hours ago, dotpoom said:

So you can brag about it to your friends. Twenty years ago I had a King Cobra under the house, so there!????