Problems at Savannakhet and Border July 2019 Report

Yeah man look.

First of all, I understand the inconsistency that I brought to your attention in the other thread. You don't want people to know exactly where you are coming from and on what dates, for your own protection. So that's fine. That's in reference to the Bali/Manila confusion.

One thing that I will say is, I don't know how much "travelling" you have really done, Tokyo and all that, but what I do know is, you stretched this last one to the max.

You entered 13 Apr at Nong Khai, until 11 June, and extended 30 days. Now it's 12 July.

So on this last one, you stayed the full 90 days.

Which is likely what you have done on the previous ones.

I'm not judging you, so don't get me wrong, it's your choice of how you arrange your travels,  but I don't want some readers (including myself), to become paranoid. I for example have a less obvious travel pattern than this.

But yeah, I will say it's hard to travel with a pattern like this through airports, which is what created the unhappy experience a few months ago, at Suvarnabhumi.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

I've been in Thailand since January 2018. But my passport is full of Tourist visas from embassies in other countries. When I traveled to Tokyo, I just came back on free 30 day Visa Exemption stamps and traveled on to other countries and came back without a visa.  I've only gotten visas when I plan to stay the full 90 days out of it. 

I don't believe tourists should have a problem if they aren't trying to live in Thailand and return back to their homecountry.  The problems I have is because I haven't returned back to my homecountry and just using Thailand as a hub to travel around.  That's why I feel like they keep pushing the "Not allowed to stay in Thailand more than 6 months of the year" as a warning to prevent being scrutinized heavily by immigration/passport control at the Airport.

Edited by acenase

14 minutes ago, acenase said:

I've been in Thailand since January 2018. But my passport is full of Tourist visas from embassies in other countries. When I traveled to Tokyo, I just came back on free 30 day Visa Exemption stamps and traveled on to other countries and came back without a visa.  I've only gotten visas when I plan to stay the full 90 days out of it. 

Yeah ok. So what's next?

Now you're confined to land borders and you know it. You have one rejection and one blue stamp. So flying through airports is out of the question for you.

I came to the conclusion that what you are doing now has a limited horizon during current climate. Ways to proceed next are either change passport, or go on a more solid visa, ED something. Not necessarily Thai language related.

Or you can push it like this until you decide you want to go back home (and change passport).

But no more leisure travel for you until then through airports.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

The way I plan to do my travels is just flying to Vientiane Airport and entering and using a domestic flight from Udon to DMK, which is still very cheap. I don't plan on using Suvarnabhumi anymore. I'm not taking that risk again. It's much easier to travel where I want and book a flight to Vientiane without any hassle.

Although doing the land borders is not that bad at all.  Just a 12 hour bus ride and arriving to the embassy early in the morning was perfect timing.  

I plan to get a new passport inside of Thailand and start over. I thought about going for an ED visa but I'm just not interested in school, plus it still doesn't guarantee your entry into Thailand since there has been lots of reports of people being denied even with an ED visa too.

I've read that even though you get a warning stamp, they only do a visual scan of your passport, so of course with my current passport having 5 previous TV's in it means the stamp was predictable. If you go back with a brand new passport there won't be any problems.

I will probably take JackThompsons advice and do what he recommended if he had a fresh new passport for Tourist visas which is start with Phnom Penh, Penang, HCMC, Savannakhet, Hanoi, Vientiane x2.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

I can confirm, that a new passport won`t work at all.

Seems to have worked for you, with all your 5 page entry list, so that's wonderful news.

Enjoy your stay.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum.

Edited by lkv

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

You are not a tourist, so get a proper visa.

This debate has been hammered to death.

Forcing me to invest in an education visa to pretend to go to school since I have absolutely no interest in going to school is just as bad. So that wouldn't be the proper visa anyways since I'm always traveling. What do you call someone who's always traveling? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

Seems to have worked for you, with all your 5 page entry list, so that's wonderful news.

Enjoy your stay.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum.

Thanks. Well ,I made it, but it opened my eyes. An ED Visa for lets say 2 consecutive years isn`t a problem as alternative right? I intend to go to a language school, to finally learn proper Thai, as I just know like 300 words.

If I had known that forum earlier I just would have sticked to the Elite Visa 2 yrs ago, but now it`s not worth anymore. And with 34 I am quite far away from the retirement visa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

He doesn't work in Thailand, so looks like a tourist to me.

Why do you think he is not a tourist?

Because he did not go home in 1 and a half years, and Immigration is not buying: "I live off my passive investments".

• Confused 2

Just now, jackdd said:

Thailand Elite is also a tourist visa, and allows the person to stay in the country for however long he wants.

So staying in Thailand for an extended period of time doesn't make somebody not-a-tourist.

But that doesn`t interest the IO. I told the IO the exactly same thing 2 days ago and she obviously had no real argument. She kept telling me *but this is the immigration, this is Thailand*. It`s perfectly possible to live on a METV by earning passive money at home and they know it. But they won`t get 500k-2Mio like with the Elite visa. They are just narrow-minded. In my case after she called my gf and I proved I had flown several times Thai First Class= money for the country, she didn`t even bother to ask for the 20k Baht. 

No one knows who will win.

Right now it's like a battle between Border Entry vs. Airport Entry.

Right now whoever is in charge of Airport immigration are cracking down on a law that doesn't exist.

Border immigration sees it as if you get issued a Visa from an Embassy then you're good to go. Because the embassy has requirements to be approved for the Visa. If you didn't have money and couldn't show a bank statement you won't get the Visa to begin with. As long as someone has the money, truly not illegally working and not overstaying their Visa, I don't see a crime with that. 

I just believe that it's part of corruption at the airport because if what they are doing is legit, then they shouldn't be denying people if they can show 20k cash and onward flight, that means the person should be good and spend the money in Thailand. And another shady thing is they also don't "Void" the Visas along with the denial. Because why would they keep the Visa valid only for them to use it at another entry point. It's like their way of saying if you really have money then you can try to enter again at another entry point.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, acenase said:

Right now whoever is in charge of Airport immigration are cracking down on a law that doesn't exist.

You are close to violating the Computer Crime Act right now. You are damaging the image of the fine people of Immigration, by making unsubstantiated statements.

You had no money in April at Suvarnabhumi.

They gave you the opportunity to appeal, right? Said there on the paper it can be appealed. 

You acknowledged you had no money, when you were rejected under 12.2.

Makes sense? ????

(I'm being sarcastic about the whole thing, just showing you what this Thailand is all about).

Edited by lkv
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, acenase said:

No one knows who will win.

Right now it's like a battle between Border Entry vs. Airport Entry.

Border immigration sees it as if you get issued a Visa from an Embassy then you're good to go. Because the embassy has requirements to be approved for the Visa. If you didn't have money and couldn't show a bank statement you won't get the Visa to begin with. As long as someone has the money, truly not illegally working and not overstaying their Visa, I don't see a crime with that. 

I just believe that it's part of corruption at the airport because if what they are doing is legit, then they shouldn't be denying people if they can show 20k cash and onward flight, that means the person should be good and spend the money in Thailand. And another shady thing is they also don't "Void" the Visas along with the denial. Because why would they keep the Visa valid only for them to use it at another entry point. It's like their way of saying if you really have money then you can try to enter again at another entry point.

Can you explain what “corruption” is taking place when people get denied?

All sounds like more baseless uninformed conspiracy rhetoric. The simple fact is that since 2006 the authorities have been clamping down on long stay tourism and the most recent focus has been at the airport. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Thailand Elite is also a tourist visa, and allows the person to stay in the country for however long he wants.

So staying in Thailand for an extended period of time doesn't make somebody not-a-tourist.

No it’s not, Tourism is limited to a maximum stay of 90 days. It is a Privilege Entry visa issued under investment rules.

We are visitors visiting for various reasons, tourism is just one ‘specific’ reason.

• Like 1