Thailand’s tourism – stormy weather ahead

webfact

12 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I would say the pussy bars are finished certainly around here, I know from a friend one bar owner sat there all night his first punter was at 11pm one beer and left

some of the bars are sacking girls now...but at least the attitude towards farlangs in pattaya bars, is not as bad as nana plaza. pattaya drinks cheaper,also..

ive tried to explain to several mammassan that i know well--treat your customers with more respect..

many of the bars rip their girls off--deductions from salary .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Tourists stay for a few days up to 2 weeks on visa exempt and then leave and have nothing to do with immigration ..Who cares about desperado ex pats that can't meet the bare minimums? Nobody wants them ! sorry but that's life

Did you miss the bit where all incoming foreigners go through immigration, have their passports and possibly visas, visa on arrival or visa exempt status checked?

The first experience of a visitor, tourist or otherwise, is often the immigration officers, the immigration process, service and queue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apart from all the nay sayers, Thailand is a great place but not in the rainy season! How stupid do you think the modern educated traveller is? They know half the restaurants are closed, Ko Samui is like its shut shop, the girls in Pattaya and Patong have taken holidays back home in Isan.

They will be back in the high season maybe a little wiser and maybe a fewer number but TAT needs to clean up its act now. Customs clearance times, rip offs with Taxis etc etc.

The food, the culture, the magnificent natural attractions and the lifestyle are what tourists want not the bars and girls as much as they were in the past!

Time for Thailand to be active in the tourism race or loose the race to Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar or the pacific Islands!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Dr Rodrigues Pereira said:

First, the THB is unconceavable up. There is no economic reason that it's gotten so artificially up, regardin the Euro or the USD. 

Then, year after year, the rubbiish keeps pilling up in the islands, even next door to 5 star hotels.

Pattaya, for once, is a place that no one with his mind in function, would visit a second time. Lomg ago were those days...

And then there is this multitude or ridiculous behaviours by the police. I recently was fined (tried to) 2.000 THB to through the rest of my cigar in the sewage gridle. After a 5 m inute negotiation, the fine came down to 1000 THB. Of course, no receipt. For heavens sake, where are the ashtrays for us, smokers, to get rid of our cigarettes ? Like in Singapore, for example ... 

When you arrive at Swampy, even travelling First with Emirates, which I do, connecting from Europe,, it takes a hell of a time to get my passport stamped, either because there is no one there, or the officers are playing with their smartphones ...

Then I always rent a car (yes, you van cal me crazy, but I don't want to depend on the honnest taxi or tuk-tuk drivers. It´s probably the only country in the world where companies like Hertz or Avis try to cheat you, either by giving you a car with 3/4 of gas or reclaiming scratches at the end , that where already there, when you rented it ( I always take nice photos, with the dayly edition of the Bangkok Post, so tehre are no doubts... 

Going south, with some very few exceptions in Samui, Phuket and Koh Lanta, you are treated like a camel in the desert !

I don't need this anymore. Vietnam , Laos, Malaysia (even Cammbodia (Sihanoukville with the Chinese) are much nicer and better value ... 

I really do not know what the Government needs more in order to access and fix all these problems ...

For your standards, Monaco is a decent place to live with less to travel. Its third world here except Singapore, S Korea and Malaysia. So maybe any of these three will do good.

At the end of the day, there are probably many other good tourist spots to chose from avoiding those countries which have become indifferent to providing services and hospitality. If you want tourists and are unwiling to bend to their needs, you are not going to have a tourism industry. There are a lot of hard-headed placement cases sitting in positions they have no business being in. 

• Like 1

I am just glad to be a tourist and not an expat. I have a friend who owns a place in Hua Hin.

He would sell and never return to Thailand if his wife leaves him or dies. I have family in BKK

and so I can leave my stuff there until I no longer go back. I do feel very lucky.

Geezer

• Like 1

this will be made in heaven  for the Thai bashers 

looking at the photos of the huge queues at Thai immigration Suvamabhumi airport and in Vientiane Laos

people the same queuing up for visas for Thailand  no shortage of people wanting to come to Thailand 

not everyone comes to drink in bars in Pattaya or Phuket who are no doubt are the ones  feeling the pinch  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The decision to turn away from Western tourism, and focus almost exclusively on Chinese and Indian tourism was a mistake of historically monumental proportions. 

TAT was never effective doing anything.  Nor has the government done anything.  Tourism just plodded along all by itself and mainly reacting to currency swings.  Chinese money comes in to build hotels but that is a Chinese thing and nothing to do with Thailand.  There is nothing short of putting Brits on Thai welfare that would get them to vacation in Thailand with the current pound to baht price.