Break in Retirement Extension

My extension runs until 19th June 2020.

My travel plans mean that I will not be in Thailand to renew.

I plan to return to Thailand in July 2020 with a Non-Imm 'O-A' visa.

With the 'O-A' visa I am covered to, say, 30 September 2021. At that time I will need to apply for an extension based on retirement.

What are the financial requirements (as we understand then now) regarding monthly income of 65,000 Baht. I will have evidenced equivalkent income for the O-A visa application but it is possible that (because of my travels) I will not be able to evidence 65k EVERY month. Will I be treated as a 'new' applicant and what will immigration want to see.

I assume you'll be applying at the Thai Embassy London.

11 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

With the 'O-A' visa I am covered to, say, 30 September 2021. At that time I will need to apply for an extension based on retirement.

The O-A Visa is valid for 1 year from the date of issue.

On entry to Thailand you'll be granted permission of stay for 1 year from the date of entry.

If you entered say 18th July 2020, you'll be granted POS until 17th July 2021.

If the Visa was issued say 6th July 2020, if you make a border run just before the 'enter before' date of the Visa, i.e. 5th July 2021, you'll be grated POS up until July 2022.

There is a proposal to attach medical Insurance as a requirement for the O-A Visa, but not enforced as yet.

Do you qualify or the Non O SE Visa as an alternative option?

Also be aware all applications are now made via the E-Visa online system.

22 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

What are the financial requirements (as we understand then now) regarding monthly income of 65,000 Baht. I will have evidenced equivalkent income for the O-A visa application but it is possible that (because of my travels) I will not be able to evidence 65k EVERY month. Will I be treated as a 'new' applicant and what will immigration want to see.

If you mean to obtain an extension based on retirement at the end of your stay from the Non O-A entry, the current Immigration requirement is 2 x minimum 65K THB transfers from an overseas bank.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I assume you'll be applying at the Thai Embassy London.

The O-A Visa is valid for 1 year from the date of issue.

On entry to Thailand you'll be granted permission of stay for 1 year from the date of entry.

If you entered say 18th July 2020, you'll be granted POS until 17th July 2021.

If the Visa was issued say 6th July 2020, if you make a border run just before the 'enter before' date of the Visa, i.e. 5th July 2021, you'll be grated POS up until July 2022.

There is a proposal to attach medical Insurance as a requirement for the O-A Visa, but not enforced as yet.

Also be aware all applications are now made via the E-Visa online system.

If you mean to obtain an extension based on retirement at the end of your stay from the Non O-A entry, the current Immigration requirement is 2 x minimum 65K THB transfers from an overseas bank.

Thanks... I had forgotten that the O-A gives 12m permission if you enter before the 'enter before' date - I had erroneously worked on worked on 3 months like the old Non-Imm 'O'.

2 months of 65k transfers makes sense and I guess is geared to a single entry visa where you would apply during the last 30 days of your 90 day permission.

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Thanks... I had forgotten that the O-A gives 12m permission if you enter before the 'enter before' date - I had erroneously worked on worked on 3 months like the old Non-Imm 'O'.

You can also make 90 day reports at the local IO on a O-A Visa, unlike the Non O ME which requires 90 day border runs.

The Non O-A is also multi entry until it's enter before date.

For a second year permission of stay, you'll need a re-entry permit if you need to leave/re-enter and keep any POS valid.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you get a OA visa you will good until about July of 2022 if you apply for it in July of 2020. 

A OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. By doing an entry just before it expires you will get another one year entry which means you could get a total stay of almost 2 years from it.

As the rules stand now you would be applying for your first extension when you apply for one. You would only need 65k baht going into a Thai bank for 2 months.

I haven't been keeping up with the news on renewals of retirement visas.  This requirement of only needing 65k baht going into a Thai bank for 2 months, does that apply to renewing my Non-O retirement visa or is that a different case?  I got the Non-O retirement visa in Feb, of this year based on 800k in the bank at that time.  Since I have passed the 3 month window requiring the 800k still be in the bank, I have spent some of it down, but not below 400k.  I would like to get the Feb. 2020 extension based on 65k+ foreign deposits coming in every month, which I started in Feb. and will continue through to renewal time.  Will my monthly 65k+ deposits from Feb., 2019 to Feb., 2020 be sufficient?

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

You can also make 90 day reports at the local IO on a O-A Visa, unlike the Non O ME which requires 90 day border runs.

The Non O-A is also multi entry until it's enter before date.

For a second year permission of stay, you'll need a re-entry permit if you need to leave/re-enter and keep any POS valid.

Thanks again.

My travels mean that I never have to do a 90 report so the Non-Imm visa suits me quite well at the moment.

By 2022 it will be a good time to revert to a retirement extension.

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

I haven't been keeping up with the news on renewals of retirement visas.  This requirement of only needing 65k baht going into a Thai bank for 2 months, does that apply to renewing my Non-O retirement visa or is that a different case?  I got the Non-O retirement visa in Feb, of this year based on 800k in the bank at that time.  Since I have passed the 3 month window requiring the 800k still be in the bank, I have spent some of it down, but not below 400k.  I would like to get the Feb. 2020 extension based on 65k+ foreign deposits coming in every month, which I started in Feb. and will continue through to renewal time.  Will my monthly 65k+ deposits from Feb., 2019 to Feb., 2020 be sufficient?

Yes.

Every month for 12 months is advisable as you are switching horses from money in the bank to income.

In my case I will have had an extension 'break' for 2 years so will treated like a newbie when I apply - hence 2 months of 65k.

6 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

This requirement of only needing 65k baht going into a Thai bank for 2 months, does that apply to renewing my Non-O retirement visa or is that a different case? 

The 2 months is only for the first extension of stay (it is not a non-o visa) for a new non immigrant visa entry.

6 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Will my monthly 65k+ deposits from Feb., 2019 to Feb., 2020 be sufficient?

Yes it will.

22 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Just realised that you referred to single entry Non O....   yes, no problem qualifying but it would suit me to have the "O-A" for a year or two.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The 2 months is only for the first extension of stay (is not a non-o visa) for a new non immigrant visa entry.

Yes it will.

In that case, do I still have to maintain a 400k balance until Feb. as part of the requirements for the Feb., 2019 visa or can I spend it down?

Just now, cmarshall said:

In that case, do I still have to maintain a 400k balance until Feb. as part of the requirements for the Feb., 2019 visa or can I spend it down?

There is obviously no case history but there should be no reason why you can't.

There is a recent thread running on that very subject

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

There is obviously no case history but there should be no reason why you can't.

There is a recent thread running on that very subject

The reason that I would not be able to is that a condition of the original visa in Feb., 2019 includes maintaining 400k for the year.  Do we have evidence as to how CW is interpreting it?

7 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

I assume you mean you obtained a retirement extension in Feb from your local IO.

If using the income method it is only 2 months prior to the very first extension application.

For extensions in 2020 12 x monthly 65K monthly transfers are required.

As you used the funds in the bank method for your first application, but switching to the income method for your 2020 application, provided you will have 12 x monthly transfer on the date of the 2020 application, you can withdraw and spend the 400K.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I assume you mean you obtained a retirement extension in Feb from your local IO.

If using the income method it is only 2 months prior to the very first extension application.

For extensions in 2020 12 x monthly 65K monthly transfers are required.

As you used the funds in the bank method for your first application, but switching to the income method for your 2020 application, provided you will have 12 x monthly transfer on the date of the 2020 application, you can withdraw and spend the 400K.

And we know this because some expats have renewed under these circumstances?  This is not just your reasonable interpretation, is it?

3 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

And we know this because some expats have renewed under these circumstances?  This is not just your reasonable interpretation, is it?

It because the Police orders state as much and a number of local expats changing methods such as yourself have already run through and cleared it with our local IO.

From 2020 it's either funds in the bank for the previous 12 months, OR, monthly transfers for the previous 12 months. (other options not mentioned).

Either based on the date of application.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

The reason that I would not be able to is that a condition of the original visa in Feb., 2019 includes maintaining 400k for the year.  Do we have evidence as to how CW is interpreting it?

Same answer ..... have a root around for the thread. I think I recall UbonJoe saying exactly what I posted.

I would think that this year is this year (which you have satisfied the conditions of) and next year is next year (which you WILL satisfy the conditions of).

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Don't forget the prospect of the coming (no clear date set yet AFAIK) mandatory health insurance requirement for future O-A visas...

I don't think it will happen, but I don't fear it.

I may be able to cover it with UK travel insurance depending how my travels work out. An obligation to take Thai health insurance may just push me into a single entry Non O and getting an extension earlier than planned.

17 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I too would be wary wrt using the 400k, I would get the subsequent extension first. Or at least we wait until post March 2020, when people start to renew based on the new requirements. Just maybe, they will check if people complied the previous year. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I too would be wary wrt using the 400k, I would get the subsequent extension first. Or at least we wait until post March 2020, when people start to renew based on the new requirements. Just maybe, they will check if people complied the previous year. 

I did my extension at the end of January 2019 with 800K in the bank.  At that time there were no requirements to keep a minimum of 400K in the account.  My balance is well below that now since we invested in some property.  As of Feb 1 of this year and around the first of every month since, I have transferred over 65K into my Thai account from my US account as I plan to use the income method for extension next January.  I have talked to the local IO in Chiang Rai and have been told that I should have no problems.

I may be mistaken, but didn't the new rules take effect in March?  It shouldn't affect extensions done in February.  Of, course some offices may have a different interpretation. 

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you get a OA visa you will good until about July of 2022 if you apply for it in July of 2020. 

A OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. By doing an entry just before it expires you will get another one year entry which means you could get a total stay of almost 2 years from it.

As the rules stand now you would be applying for your first extension when you apply for one. You would only need 65k baht going into a Thai bank for 2 months.

Joe does London still issue the OA multi entry visa or only the non imm o single entry 90 day visa. 

18 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Joe does London still issue the OA multi entry visa or only the non imm o single entry 90 day visa. 

Yes they still issue the OA long stay visa. It is only issued as a multiple entry visa.

20 hours ago, statman78 said:

I did my extension at the end of January 2019

I was early December and since the new requirements didn't come in until March 2019, I have not even concerned myself with it, believing it NOT to be retroactive. 

I just have a slight worry, some may face issues pre-March 2020 when immigration can potentially get this wrong. I wouldn't expect main offices like Chang Wattana or Chonburi to mess up. But some smaller ones are fiefdoms in their own minds, and it appears Phuket like to make up their own rules too. 

On 7/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

Thanks to your advice Joe have already done one O-A  visa with the 12 mth extension and now 8 months into my second, However, the last time i got a re-entry visa and flew back. My question is "can i do it using a land border post"  i.e. road from Cambodia.

5 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

My question is "can i do it using a land border post"  i.e. road from Cambodia.

No problem to enter using the re-entry permit at a land border crossing.

Best to avoid the Poi Pet crossing to or from Cambodia.

On 7/22/2019 at 4:49 PM, ubonjoe said:

No problem to enter using the re-entry permit at a land border crossing.

Best to avoid the Poi Pet crossing to or from Cambodia.

Why avoid Poi Pet, what's the reason? Thanks!!