Pig & Whistle

Bangkok Barry

I used to like the P&W on Soi 7, usually for the fish and homemade chips. When they switched to frozen potatoes it wasn’t the same. My girl, now wife, liked the place too. The owner died about 10 years back and we stopped going, partially because it was so well run and the skills to pull that off are rare. The branch on Tapraiya (sp) looks busy - must try it. Hope their chips are homemade.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 12:25 AM, TaaSaparot said:

So, you have no idea even how long the Pig & Whistle was in that location?

Between 20 and 22 years. I remember going there when it first opened. 

The rooms were very popular early on, but I am told that they had the fairly common affliction of smelling of damp. 

An Indian guy seems to have taken it on and turned the back half into a curry place. Brave man, as has been mentioned those Sois between the beach and 2nd Rd have lost a lot of custom to Soi Buakhao. 

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2019 at 6:51 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even remember his name. But he was indeed a nice guy. I was going to write a book about expats running businesses there, but soon realised it was going to cost me more than a book could possibly have made. Most books don't make money and mostly just serve as an ego-boost for the writer.

Bob Adams ......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend of ours used to own a bar in soi 7 15/20 yrs ago ,when it was a busy soi ,and was nice to park at the back of the open bars ,then into the Pig for some real chips ,not the frozen rubbish ,but its so different down there these days ,now just use soi 7 as a cut through when driving .

times change.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 1:23 PM, rott said:

as has been mentioned those Sois between the beach and 2nd Rd have lost a lot of custom to Soi Buakhao. 

Everywhere has lost a lot of custom to 65 baht beers on or near Soi Baukhao.  

I'm all for a bit of nostalgia but let's face it Soi 7 is totally dead outside of high season, has been for the last few years. Soi Buakow/LK Metro area is where it's at all year round. 

I think some guys come on their annual holiday at peak season and think it's like that all year round lol. Far from reality. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 7:13 PM, CGW said:

I knew the original owner fairly well, went to a few parties at his house, nice guy - didn't he pass on some years back, thinking it must be at least 15 years ago?

Maybe your thinking of the guy that owned Rosie O'Grady's

On 7/8/2020 at 7:32 AM, kinyara said:

I'm all for a bit of nostalgia but let's face it Soi 7 is totally dead outside of high season, has been for the last few years. Soi Buakow/LK Metro area is where it's at all year round. 

I think some guys come on their annual holiday at peak season and think it's like that all year round lol. Far from reality. 

Still plenty of Soi 7 bars with steady trade over the year (pre-covid)

On 7/7/2020 at 9:14 PM, TaaSaparot said:

65? .. LOL

Plenty of places in Soi 7 serving beer at under 65 baht.

The demise of Soi 7 is much exaggerated IMO.

So if beer prices under 65 baht can't attract customers, what can?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Leaver said:

So if beer prices under 65 baht can't attract customers, what can?  

Personally I find many bars there just have too many katoeys and I would rather not use them.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Personally I find many bars there just have too many katoeys and I would rather not use them.

There's a couple of bars down the beach end of the soi with katoeys.  They really need their own soi, a bit like the Boyz Town area.

I suppose a new katoey bar opening up next to your own bar would not be good for your business, especially in the bar complexes where it can be difficult to know which girl works in what bar because they are a close together and not separated by a wall.   

Edited by Leaver

On 7/10/2020 at 1:03 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Like the Sailor bar---was that 7 or 8.....been a while since I been Pattaya, that place was good value.......for everything      (except girls)

On 7/10/2020 at 1:03 AM, TaaSaparot said:

PJ-DJ bar "temporarily" closed down. The owner has posted a video which will give you a good idea what Soi 7 is currently like. A slightly more extreme version of what it's looked like over the last few low seasons, slowly but surely dying in its present format, the customers have moved across 2nd road to Buakow./LK Metro as even the owner admits. 

• Like 1