"Suvarnabhumi is hell" screams Thailand's most famous English teacher

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Perhaps stung by the criticism he posted the next day (Thursday): "OK it's not hell. But it's the front door to the country we love. I was frustrated by what I saw yesterday because I am concerned about the image of Thailand."

Actually, I think he was right the first time... The kind of arrival queues we've been seeing reported lately are "hell,"  not the entire country, just the Immigration arrivals process with its unmanned booths.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Hawkman said:

Well said. Heathrow is a nightmare, but not like this.

Surely they could improve things? For example, if they have to do EIGHT things, why not delegate it? Employ more people, two officers, let's say who work themselves up the queue and do the passport and visa check and interview. If anything not right, send them to another queue for further enquiry. That will leave the officers with about a ten second job and relieve the stress for the officers too.

they just DONT plan anything in a reasonable fashion.

Many after a long flight....all they want to do IS GET OUT...

Long time ago 2006/7 the problem existed....and nothing seems to have been done....

I seem to remember it was stated that THEY were going to trian MORE Imm Officers to allow a QUICK  passage through Passport control looks like NOTHING has been done

At least three or four times a year this issue regarding the lines at both airports comes up and yet nothing ever seems to get done to alleviate the problem. Oh sure you get the usual excuses from Officials most of which are pure B.S. but TIT they could care less. They know once you are on the ground what are your choices?

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The job of the TAT is to coordinate and execute responses to this and many other problems making Thailand less and less attractive to tourists. It is out of hand now.

The word is getting out (ok "going viral") that Thailand has run out of luck and other neighbouring countries offer more interest, more of a welcome, at lower prices.

We need better thought out strategies and more execution. People working in tourism - which is 20% of the economy, it's a lot! - are crying out for direction and leadership.

12 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

They wonder why tourism in Thailand is down.  Who wants to come here and wait in long lines.  You also have to wait behind some dumb ass people who can't file out the Arrival/Departure card and they hold everyone up because of them.  Of course most of them was Chinese.  

Tourism is down? How the hell is that possible with lines at Immigration being like the way it is, at least 50% longer than it's been in the past?

3 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Tourism is down? How the hell is that possible with lines at Immigration being like the way it is, at least 50% longer than it's been in the past?

Just like it says.  He was returning he is not a tourist.  That is part of the problem they call anyone that pass through Thailand a tourist.   Read the news about tourism being down and stories in this sit about Pattaya and others tourist sites.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd call that B.S.  I don't think I've ever cleared incoming Immigration in 50 seconds of the time from handing over my passport, and that was BEFORE they started their fingerprinting scheme, which clearly is making things longer.

Sure but IMHO all of the comment from the Im. senior is just total diversion. They should be organized, they know the details of all incoming flights and they could also know whether each flight is full or whatever, and all of this has happened numerous times before.

All proving that they are totally incapable of planning and organizing.

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Desk staff cuts....?

You lot interfering with staff breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, sleep, dinner and supper perhaps..????

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

I arrived last Saturday evening and it was exactly the same. Queues stretching back to the concourse for foreign passports with quite a few booths unmanned. So not just a busy weekday problem. 

This was poor management given they would know well in advance the approximate numbers of flights and passengers to expect. There is zero incentive to change it because it doesnt impact the Thais or Chinese who have their own special queues

At 2 am on a weekday night the line backed all the way up to security screening.  Result, people missed flights because only a few immigration booths were open.

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Obviously this has been a problem since the scanning of fingers was introduced, needs looking at again.

So are these finger scans ( I assume prints) being immediately checked against worldwide databases ??

So read a book or something while you’re waiting in line jeez!!! What do people expect it’s the airport I’ve been through Suvarnabhumi many times in the last 10 years before we retired here 5 years ago and yes it’s extremely crowded it always has been we get it. Find something else to complain about besides the airport and immigration. Some people just don’t know how good they have it in life we complain about every little thing while a lot of people around the world including here in Thailand are suffering.

The problem is too many brass eating noodles and figuring out how to deal with his many Mia Noi, and not enough front line workers. But that’s normal here as there should also be more traffic police at busy intersections too but, alas, not enough basic patrolmen. 
But it’s not the only place for long lines. In the US (Newark Airport) lines were incredibly long with only 4 booths in operation. I was told that they had to cut back because they were sending officers to the Southern boarder to handle the many “thieves and rapists” at the boarder. They were trying to train new officers as quickly as possible.
Clearly, the terrorists have won!

No no they haven’t. The terrorists win after we lose ALL our freedoms and when we are afraid to travel or go out and do anything at all because we’re scared of them. Crowded airports aren’t exactly a victory for terrorists lol [emoji23]. They’ll never win because we will NEVER let them win!!! Although I do hate taking off my shoes at the airport.

3 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

So read a book or something while you’re waiting in line jeez!!! What do people expect it’s the airport I’ve been through Suvarnabhumi many times in the last 10 years before we retired here 5 years ago and yes it’s extremely crowded it always has been we get it. Find something else to complain about besides the airport and immigration. Some people just don’t know how good they have it in life we complain about every little thing while a lot of people around the world including here in Thailand are suffering.

Stuck in unnecessarily long lines after a long flight?

Tired?

Jet lagged and you just wanna get home?

Kids giving you an earful?

Keep-calm-and-read-a-book.jpg

15 minutes ago, essox essox said:

has there been some talk of having an extra runway for planes....if so JUST how will they cope with MORE AND MORE flights....JUST asking like !!

They don't care. They don't "cope." You do.

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

So 44 flights arriving surprised the immigration folk?

Did they all arrive without warning?

It is called management to look at the expected workload and plan accordingly. Just one of the things that impacts on the chances of a tourist returning or recommending to others whether it is worth the effort to go to Thailand, even before the exchange rate is considered.

They do plan things very well if you just look when there are few arriving planes the booths are fully maned!

1 hour ago, kotsak said:

That's where it's heading.. ????

Maybe get a new model for measuring. For example, there are 7 empty desks, means fewer staff, right? But they still process the 4,500 tourist arrivals. This is good, means productivity is up.

45 minutes ago, aqua4 said:

For all those expat cuckolds in Thailand with their Stockholm syndrome. Look he writes Thai, speaks Thai and adds value to Thailand's education and look how quickly they take offence to a legitimate criticism. Then automatically he is the evil farang who Thailand gave something to. You will never be Thai and you are not wanted here

Correct, a foreigner can never be Thai, just look in the mirror !

The problem is too many brass eating noodles and figuring out how to deal with his many Mia Noi, and not enough front line workers. But that’s normal here as there should also be more traffic police at busy intersections too but, alas, not enough basic patrolmen. 
But it’s not the only place for long lines. In the US (Newark Airport) lines were incredibly long with only 4 booths in operation. I was told that they had to cut back because they were sending officers to the Southern boarder to handle the many “thieves and rapists” at the boarder. They were trying to train new officers as quickly as possible.
Clearly, the terrorists have won!

Speaking of terrorism if we could all only stick together united instead of constantly being so divided over all of our petty differences and politics things would be so much better and easier and then they can’t touch us if we stick together and unite instead of being so negative and divided. My home country the United States our biggest problem is that we are currently more divided today than we ever were before even more so than the civil war. That’s why I detest politics. But seriously crowded airports are hardly a victory for terrorism. Their biggest victory against us as free people is now we have to take our shoes off going through security.

But it’s about unity not division we need to learn that fast or eventually they might win for real!

Archived