"Suvarnabhumi is hell" screams Thailand's most famous English teacher

webfact

5 hours ago, lipflipper said:

At least three or four times a year this issue regarding the lines at both airports comes up and yet nothing ever seems to get done to alleviate the problem. Oh sure you get the usual excuses from Officials most of which are pure B.S. but TIT they could care less. They know once you are on the ground what are your choices?

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

they want us to buy the elite visa

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I have to give a shoutout to the elite program here. Although you feel like a right <deleted> riding in the golf cart with the freaking siren on and the gold clad lady behind the wheel, they got me through from the gate to the backseat of the AOT Camry in 35mins flat without me doing anything at all. It's insanely expensive of course when you pay 100k/y and only fly 10 or so times per year, but does take away the pain of dealing with the hoi polloi. 

i prefer flying in on my jet and just having it all taken care of onboard.

6 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

So 44 flights arriving surprised the immigration folk?

Did they all arrive without warning?

It is called management to look at the expected workload and plan accordingly. Just one of the things that impacts on the chances of a tourist returning or recommending to others whether it is worth the effort to go to Thailand, even before the exchange rate is considered.

Would mean the Manager would need being able to think. Not an easy task here.

4 hours ago, Mel52 said:

So read a book or something while you’re waiting in line jeez!!! What do people expect it’s the airport I’ve been through Suvarnabhumi many times in the last 10 years before we retired here 5 years ago and yes it’s extremely crowded it always has been we get it. Find something else to complain about besides the airport and immigration. Some people just don’t know how good they have it in life we complain about every little thing while a lot of people around the world including here in Thailand are suffering.

True, many are suffering.  One solution:  we could start a GoFund...I'll pitch in if anyone wants to pull the trigger.  Then at least we can feel better about complaining about the airport while we are saving Thailand from its suffering.

1 hour ago, Mel52 said:

I respect your opinion if you were actually there but if you were actually there then you should know better that it’s not as bad as East Germany. I mean come on you were actually there you know there’s no comparison but I respect your opinion.

Remember, I said it is getting more like the old DDR, not that it is the old DDR. And it certainly is going in that direction, instead of the other, which would be welcoming, friendly, and carefree. The biggest difference is that the DDR didn't want tourists; it didn't want Westerners in the country at all.  Oh, wait. Maybe not so different there, either.

The increase in number of alternative cheap flights and limited staff capacity is key reason. I remember 20 years back DMK was similar at Intl. Arrival hall. Used to que 30 plus minutes. SVB was better some 5-6 years back but now need more staff and prompt clearence. 

I noticed they are spending more time even for on arrival visa countries, like going through all pages.

6 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

So 44 flights arriving surprised the immigration folk?

Did they all arrive without warning?

It is called management to look at the expected workload and plan accordingly. Just one of the things that impacts on the chances of a tourist returning or recommending to others whether it is worth the effort to go to Thailand, even before the exchange rate is considered.

When the first thing that happens to you on arrival in Thailand is unacceptable queues at Immigration, (as you say, they knew 44 flights were arriving so why have 9 unmanned desks?) and the very next thing you encounter is the taxi mafia waiting to rip you off, it is not really a very good incentive for attracting tourists.

Even when getting a Thai ID card they only scan your thumbs and take a picture. Why scan all 10 fingers on arrival? That's unheard of at least in countries I've visited.  Tons of room for the airport immigration to improve. 

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yes, but it's not as if those flights suddenly turned up as a surprise is it? They know what flights are coming in and when, and ought to be capable of providing sufficient immigration staff to deal with these rushes. I spent many years flying all over the place and while I have seen some bad queues in lots of places, Thailand has REALLY bad ones way more regularly than anywhere else I have ever seen.

Its not that simple is it. Planes get delayed. Few come early. People need to pee and get a coffee. Flow is not even so its bad management to have all your booths manned 24/7. Also the difficult people delay officers and reduce the flow rate. 

I loathe queues with a passion but they did a really good job in May when I got into a queue by a 60 minute board. It was packed but I was through in 25.

See you at Swampy sometime ????????????

Ah, so Mr. Andrew Biggs has been invited to "consult" with Thai Immigration about airport check-in. What you want to bet that he comes out of it with a big smile on his face, clicking his heels, and praising TI like they're Jesus feeding the multitude.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I travel internationally on a monthly basis, been living and working in Thailand 31 years... etc, etc. 

It was you that refuted the other poster's point about Thailand being like East Germany, I made some appropriate comparisons. 

It has everything to do with crowded airports as the fingerprint and biometrics (part of the current clampdown on personal freedoms) are what i causing the long delays, and the fact that there are convicted criminals and sons of convicted murderers in this military government who are intent on collecting this information.

But you just carry on, nothing to see here. 

You forgot to mention fathers of sons who should have been convicted, but due to the family influence it never went to trial. Officials of this government, and their families are completely above the law. And and all laws. That is one of the reasons they are in power. To protect the super wealthy, those that are well connected, those that are in power, the families of those in power, or the franchisees in the police force.  

15 minutes ago, strawpanda said:

It took my Thai wife nearly 14 months to get into the UK.

That was a long line then no? So once she is in does she get buggered around with loads of paper every year and do you get a fine for not reporting her in your home? Apples and Oranges.

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Must admit it was horrible when I came back a couple of months ago but in defence its not the worst that prize would go to Istanbul with Oman and Cairo transit hell????   

Arrived in Manchester UK last year in July two hours to clear Immigration one IO processing non EU passports then taxis on strike 

In May this year Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumpur return 1 1/2 hours to clear Immigration in KL both ways in Chiang Mai about 6 mins happens everywhere at times.

Is this the english teacher from the text: Can i hell you?

I feel so good when i hear that in a department store...it means i must be in Thailand because in the rest of the world they have learned real english.

I visit 8-9 countries per year and take about 80 flights per annum. I have had this type of incident happen in many other countries including the UK (for my Thai wife). This celebrity was probably tired, hot, angry and so he mouths off. Why the big fuss and reaction. He is a very small fish in a very big pond. If you do not like what you have to put up with at times in the country you live in then simple-MOVE!! 

Suggestion for process improvement. 

(It's what I used to do, waste elimination and improvement)

Scan your passport on arrival, like many countries do.

Answer the basic questions. 

Incorporating the finger print scans at the same point.

Terminal does the facials at the same time.

If the immigration system wants to give you an entry stamp, fine.

The officer just checks your passport on arrival and all the biometric data is already in front of him.

Forget the TM6 copy.

And attaching to the passport. 

You have a valid entry stamp with the date and the system has your details. 

Actually, 

Come to think about it..

Isn't this what Thai people do when using the E Gates ???

Replace inneficient officers and paper, with E Gates...

I will sent you my bill... lol.

Border Express is being rolled out throughout Europe and many places.

Screenshot_20190719-104937_Chrome.jpg

Archived