Englishman requiring marriage advice

Steve1177

On 7/25/2019 at 12:32 AM, Steve1177 said:

I have been married to a Thai lady happily for a couple years now

a little confused here, why worry if you are happily married ??? or are you not telling everything, maybe some rumbling (figurative) is in the works

On 7/25/2019 at 12:35 PM, ThaidDown said:

Under Thai Law not all monies gained during marriage are considered joint property (Sin Somros).

Items and money gained through a will or inheritance remain remain your personal property (Sin Suan Tua)

Section 1471 (3) of the Thai CCC applies

Section 1471. Sin Suan Tua consists of:

1. property belonging to either spouse before marriage;
  2. property for personal use, dress or ornament suitable for station in life, or tools necessary for carrying on the profession of either spouse;
  3. property acquired by either spouse during marriage through a will or gift;
  4. Khongman.

That was helpful.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:32 AM, Steve1177 said:

I have been married to a Thai lady happily for a couple years now (no children and none planned), we married in Thailand and this was formally registered with the Ampur and British embassy (fully legit), and no prenup.  I am expecting a large inheritance soon, and wonder what entitlement my Thai wife would have in case she suddenly decided she wanted to divorce - not expected, but I worry due to the sum involved.  I wonder what the Thai law (or likely outcome) would be, and if not satisfactory, could I insist on this being dealt with by a UK court as a worse case scenario?  How would a UK court likely side?  Can I protect this from becoming an issue, or any general information would be much appreciated.  We live in Thailand and intend for that to remain the case - my wife does not have right to reside in UK.  

As I say, I am not expecting anything bad to happen, but I am obviously curious on the topic. 

Thanks for any help

For such an apparently serious matter, why not ask someone, such as a lawyer, who would actually be able to give you the real answer?  You sure won't get one that you could rely on here.

"I am expecting a large inheritance soon, and wonder what entitlement my Thai wife would have in case she suddenly decided she wanted to divorce"

She and especially her family will *feel* entitled to ALL of it immediately and then some and all will be very angry and quite provoked if they don't all suddenly have new houses, cars, motorbikes, etc.  so play it safe and just shut up about it.  Do NOT tell her or anyone that you have it or downplay it a LOT.  If they do know you have it and can easily access it, you'll likely end up in a dark room with a nail gun pointed at your bollux, one hand tied down and the other only able to type on an old laptop so as to transfer all monies to some Thais account.

I hope you haven’t told her ? If you have, say that it was finally just a small sum. She can’t check. Keep no documents at home’, you can leave them with your solliciter in GB. Invest your inheritance, and keep it for future need, illness .Better safe than sorry. The money was kindly left to you, look after it. 

On 7/25/2019 at 9:35 AM, ThaidDown said:

Under Thai Law not all monies gained during marriage are considered joint property (Sin Somros).

Items and money gained through a will or inheritance remain remain your personal property (Sin Suan Tua)

Section 1471 (3) of the Thai CCC applies

Section 1471. Sin Suan Tua consists of:

1. property belonging to either spouse before marriage;
  2. property for personal use, dress or ornament suitable for station in life, or tools necessary for carrying on the profession of either spouse;
  3. property acquired by either spouse during marriage through a will or gift;
  4. Khongman.

Would the actual location of the funds also affect who can get their hands on it?

What about if you have an accident or have sickness and die, what amount would you want to go to your Thai wife? 

My wife knows nothing about any money or property  back in my home land.  Last thing you want to do is shoot off your mouth to anyone including your mates. Look at me I'm a big shot.  Nooo your a dumb@ss.  As they will tell their girlfriends or wives.  And they will tell your wife. You are worth more dead than alive now.  If you should die, up to you how much you leave her.  As for divorce,  money???  What money?? 

17 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Get the Inheritance put in an anonymous bank account, then keep stum.

What is the point of having money hidden away in a bank account?   Money is for spending on things that make you happy, not for just accumulating for the sake of it.

Simple. Leave the inheritance in the UK. Make sure that you have a will specifically stating to whom your money will be distributed. Although your marriage is recognised in the UK, she will have no legal right to any money as I assume she has not got the legal right to live in the UK and does not have a British passport. She therefore does not legally have a right to any money from you in the UK. Now if you move money to Thailand it is totally different and Thai laws will apply.

First - change the title of the thread to Englishman Requesting Legal Advice

Second - you are soliciting legal advice on an anonymous internet forum - you get what you pay for

Third - each country has it's own individual laws

You need to consult with both a British Licensed Attorney and a Thai Licensed Attorney concerning Thai and British law and the ramifications concerning your specific situation. Only licensed attorneys can provide you with a formal legal opinion concerning your options. 

Or, you can just let the chips fall... 

Why anyone wouldn't demand a prenup before marriage is beyond me. If the woman won't sign one, it's just clear what they are after. Chances are you already told her you will be coming into some coin and possibly the amount. Don't bring it all in the country and keep it in a hidden account. When it comes to money and any woman.........MUMS the word. I've seen a couple blocks lose half a year after they come into money but I think Thailand is exempt of this.

Archived