Scotland's leader tells Johnson: we want an independence referendum

snoop1130

Thanks, but that doesn't answer the question I asked does it?

...............and you want to be free, independent and ruled from Brussels? 

Given a yes vote to be free and  independent so you can do absolutely anything you want  you effectively cancel what you voted for (your desire to be independent ) by handing over powers to Brussels. Can you not see how much of a dichotomy this is.

As I think Brexit is one of the greatest acts of unnecessary self harm of our times, I don't agree with your assessment so I will be unable to answer your question to your satisfaction.

The fact is that the powers retained in Westminster will not be transferred to Brussels.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Er, and what would an independent Scotland use to buy their Pounds Sterling?

Scottish bank notes currently in circulation aren't accepted as widely as Bank of England notes.

If Scotland is part of the EU it could use the Euro....simple.

19 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Er, and what would an independent Scotland use to buy their Pounds Sterling?

Scottish bank notes currently in circulation aren't accepted as widely as Bank of England notes.

15 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The attachment shows a summary of the devolved and reserved powers under devolution. Those which are indicated as reserved are not held by the EU but by Westminster.

Don't forget - the UK did not need to ask the EU for permission to hold the Brexit referendum. DRsummary.jpeg.cad4711283a50d3a80b9e303d495d896.jpeg

It's quite interesting to note that Brexiteers's argument often concern matters in the 'reserved' category. ????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mansell said:

During applying and maybe being allowed in to the EU what would happen during the 2 to 10 years between the two?

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

As I think Brexit is one of the greatest acts of unnecessary self harm of our times, I don't agree with your assessment so I will be unable to answer your question to your satisfaction.

The fact is that the powers retained in Westminster will not be transferred to Brussels.

This issue has nothing to do with Brexit or what powers will be transferred to Brussels or my assessment which I wasn’t aware I had given; we are talking about a nation which post Brexit is free and independent but wants to hand part of their independence back to the EU. My concerns are questions not criticisms. Is it because Scotland as an independent nation lacks the confidence to fulfil its independence mandate without an EU comfort blanket ? What other reason could there be?

• Like 1

Neither petty nor childish and I genuinely believe Scotland needs the UK for military, economic reasons +++
Your posts suggest that you think Scotland is incapable of managing either of those aspects of nationhood, aspects that many other small nations deal with to a far greater effect than the UK. Why do you think Scotland would be unable to emulate many other small, successful countries?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mansell said:

UNITED under and by the sword.....those days are long gone, and like many of the countries that became colonies they have long gone also. Show me the evidence that Scotland couldn't survive alone. Many of Britain's scientists and inventors originated from Scotland.

When did we have our chance? 

And what is the issue with all the English on here getting their panties in a knot every time Scottish independence is mentioned?

i will be quite happy to hand in my Brit passport and get a Scottish/Euro passport. Then while you are getting your visas to visit Europe I will be happily moving around in relative freedom spending my Euros. (And relative is relative for all of us)

I think where your argument falls flat on its face is that the majority of the Scots do not want indy.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 1:34 PM, Baerboxer said:

What arrogant nonsense!

The country is the United Kingdom - our nationality British.

It's supremely arrogant and selfish that one small minority in one region seek to vote on something, restrict who can vote and then impose a result they like on the majority.

And then in your next statement, you want to claim everything belongs to everyone. Aye, as long as your're lot are dictating.

It's actually nationalist Scots who are arrogant, hypercritical bigots who want to boss everyone else around with their do as we say not as we do crap.

No, it's a Union. Scotland is a Country within that Union.

• Like 2

This issue has nothing to do with Brexit or what powers will be transferred to Brussels or my assessment which I wasn’t aware I had given; we are talking about a nation which post Brexit is free and independent but wants to hand part of their independence back to the EU. My concerns are questions not criticisms. Is it because Scotland as an independent nation lacks the confidence to fulfil its independence mandate without an EU comfort blanket ? What other reason could there be?

Your question is posited from a Brexiter perspective of it being 'fact' that the EU is a negative influence on the UK. As I don't agree with that view, I suspect that I will be unable to formulate an answer that will satisfy you.

Wanting to remain in the EU is not about a lack of confidence, but the recognition of the benefits of being an independent county within it.

Being in any club requires compromise and the relinquishment of some control. An independent Scotland in the EU will have vastly more powers than it has currently within the UK.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's quite interesting to note that Brexiteers's argument often concern matters in the 'reserved' category. [emoji16]
I have seen the question asked many times on TV - how does the EU interfere in our laws - but never seen a reasonable answer. Even our new PM had to resort to bendy banana style lies last week because he has nothing of substance with which to whip his cultish followers into a frenzy.

• Like 1

Ah yes.

Just didn’t see the relevance of unfinished business.
Can you seriously not see the parallels? The man who was responsible for fomenting the mainstream anti EU sentiment across England said that if Leave narrowly lost the referendum, the campaign would go on. Yet, whenever anyone mentions the prospect of another independence referendum, you can be sure that someone will pop up with a rant about how we had our chance in 2014, blah blah blah.

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Seems they want another chance......... and another maybe....... until they get a result that only a current minority want.

Sound familiar ?

Oh change the record for gods sake. You Brexiters use this inane argument all the time and frankly it's getting boring.

Scotland voted to remain in the UK in 2014 by a pretty small margin, 2 Million to 1.6 million (55% to 45%) before the matter of leaving the EU was even a thing. In the EU referendum, 62% voted to remain in the EU, a significant increase. The logical argument therefore goes that if those that voted to stay in the UK thought that meant also leaving the EU, what would the numbers have been then?

Unlike you Brexiters with your 'it was voted on, so it must happen', most Scots are sensible enough to know that the goalposts have moved so significantly since the original vote and another vote MAY be the appropriate and right thing to do.

I also think that now a no deal Brexit is looking highly likely, another referendum should occur because NO ONE (be honest when you answer this) had even heard about a no-deal situation never mind voted for it.

Both situations need to be looked at again as things have changed so dramatically. First another EU referendum and if Leave wins (absolutely no question about it then) then a Scottish independence vote. 

Not sure why this is sooooo difficult for Brexit fans to get their head around.

Edited by johnnybangkok
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Oh change the record for gods sake. You Brexiters use this inane argument all the time and frankly it's getting boring.

Scotland voted to remain in the UK in 2014 by a pretty small margin, 2 Million to 1.6 million (55% to 45%) before the matter of leaving the EU was even a thing. In the EU referendum, 62% voted to remain in the EU, a significant increase. The logical argument therefore goes that if those that voted to stay in the UK thought that meant also leaving the EU, what would the numbers have been then?

Unlike you Brexiters with your 'it was voted on, so it must happen', most Scots are sensible enough to know that the goalposts have moved so significantly since the original vote and another vote MAY be the appropriate and right thing to do.

I also think that now a no deal Brexit is looking highly likely, another referendum should occur because NO ONE (be honest when you answer this) had even heard about a no-deal situation never mind voted for it.

Both situations need to be looked at again as things have changed so dramatically. First another EU referendum and if Leave wins (absolutely no question about it then) then a Scottish independence vote. 

Not sure why this is sooooo difficult for Brexit fans to get their head around.

change the record for gods sake ...you LOST whether by a small margin a big one.

Suck it up, you had your chance - get over it. It is called democracy.

Stop crying like babies and attacking others. Personally, I am all for Scottish independence - once a majority have voted for it - in the absence of weekly re-runs, wait another generation.

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

5 polls this year and only 1, by the highly partisan Scotland in Union, with No above 50%. If I was a unionist I would be feeling decidedly nervous.

Why would a unionist be nervous, I thought every political party has said there will not be another Scottish referendum.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:18 PM, vogie said:

I thought Scotland had had their once in a life time referendum?

Circumstances changed since than. If no deal Brexit happens Scotland will be independent. Simple as that.

• Haha 1

Why would a unionist be nervous, I thought every political party has said there will not be another Scottish referendum.
Every party? You are forgetting about the SNP and the Greens, plus also the mandates afforded by the 2015 and 2017 GEs, the 2016 Holyrood election and the passing of the motion in 2017 giving the Scottish Government the backing of the Scottish Parliament to negotiate to hold a second referendum.

If the unionists want to deny us that, all they need to do is win a majority of the seats in Westminster and Holyrood. It has been quite a few years since they accomplished either.