Scotland's leader tells Johnson: we want an independence referendum

snoop1130

Just now, DougSunee said:

The Scottish Government is in the early days of setting up an investment bank which if I remember correctly will be the basis for a central bank come independence. 

hope they don't appoint a Canadian or other foreigner to run its own bank !!

On 7/25/2019 at 5:14 PM, RuamRudy said:

Is democracy rationed now?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So if Scotland is granted a 2nd referendum do you think the Scottish Parliament would choose to be a republic or go back to having a Scottish Monarchy ? If that were the case who would actually be in line to inherit the throne now as an independent nation ?

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

There would be no dispute (other than the 6000 sqm of Scottish water inexplicably transferred to England the week before the opening of the Scottish parliament in 1999) as territorial waters are already clearly defined. Any economic benefits derived from those waters will be for the benefit of the country which owns the area. 

IMG_20180306_211419.jpeg.b95f1a636d381418529719c71741ad9f.jpeg

Yeah right. It will just be the Scottish nationalists dictating how it will be. Good luck with that!

• Confused 1

On 7/26/2019 at 4:23 PM, Mansell said:

As a Scot, thank you for the well thought out answers to what I believe is typical English ignorance. As for the comment about the Army, Navy, and Air Force.....I think the poster hasn't been in any of the services because if he had he would have known that the service men and women are from all four of the countries that make up the UK. Scotland voted to stay in the EU, so eventually that is what we will be a part of.

What a jolly nice post. One highly educated unbiased non bigot congratulating another highly educated non bigot.

It's all English ignorance and poor Scots being so down trodden that's led to all those chips on the shoulders, and current self entitlement arrogance is it?

FREEDOM! 

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2019 at 3:40 PM, geoffbezoz said:

hope they don't appoint a Canadian or other foreigner to run its own bank !!

Hope they pay back all the British taxpayer has had to cough up to keep their inefficient, ineffective crap banks going.

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2019 at 1:59 PM, johnnybangkok said:

There's nothing arrogant with what I have said. It's just fact; England doesn't own the pound nor the armed forces. Only a nation state should be given the chance to vote regarding the state of it's nation and Scotland is well aware of the financials if it leaves the UK.

And we know all about arrogant, hypocritical (correct spelling please note) bigots who want to boss everyone else around. Scotland is attached to England after all.  

England isn't Britain! Just like Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland aren't.

Any vote affecting Britain must be given to all Britain. Not just the few with inferiority complex issues who seem to think they should be dictating how it is to the majority. 

Scotland isn't a nation state. Another fake fostered by the deluded nationalists who want to pretend otherwise.

Spelling and grammar - the refuge of the small minded; and hence why forum rules specifically prohibit it.

Irony also eludes you it seems.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 2:29 PM, johnnybangkok said:

One could argue that with just England and Wales (Northern Ireland not being part of Great Britain), there wouldn't be much of a Great Britain left to constitute the name but I'm being obtuse. 

There have been proposals put forward about what happens to the pound which would have to be seen if it can work but my point is it's not just up to the English what happens to a currency that is used by 4 countries.

And just to make things clear, I'm not for Scottish independence but my reply was to combat the inane arrogance of a previous poster who was taking everything away from Scotland because he felt that Scotland wouldn't deserve it. My point was it wasn't his to take away.

It's up to the UK government, based in Westminster, what would happen to the pound and all other things British.

Not some jumped up regional council with delusions of grandeur.

The UK government isn't English. It's British with MP's from all over the UK as well you know.

If Scotland left the UK, they would be out, as Mr. Juncker put it out means out. All Scottish MP's would cease to sit in Westminster, and effectively Scotland would have no representation. Therefore by leaving, they take themselves out of the decision making process.

Sturgeon was arrogant enough to claim she'd decide on issues such as currency. But most Scots are intelligent enough to see through her.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, DougSunee said:

The Pound Sterling is freely traded on International markets and as such a Westminster Government couldn’t stop an Independent Scotland using it. However as the Treasury would still control interest rates I’d rather that Scotland had its own currency as soon as possible after independence.

Prior to joining the Euro Zone countries must be part of the European Rate Mechanism (ERM) membership of the ERM is optional. 

Military assets belong to the 4 countries that make up Greater Britain and as such an agreement about their dispersal will have to be reached. 

The exception to this is The Trident Ballistic Missile Fleet that is not up for debate and it will have to be removed, I’m sure the people of the English south coast will welcome their new neighbours with open arms. 

Er, and what would an independent Scotland use to buy their Pounds Sterling?

Scottish bank notes currently in circulation aren't accepted as widely as Bank of England notes.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:50 PM, RuamRudy said:

Scotland is a country, not a region. But you do highlight the main problem - what England wants, England gets and the rest of the home nations have to put up with it.

That's a problem or blessing of being in a democracy. 

But anything different would be undemocratic.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Er, and what would an independent Scotland use to buy their Pounds Sterling?

Scottish bank notes currently in circulation aren't accepted as widely as Bank of England notes.

Don't go down that route please because the way the GBP is going it could itself become an unwanted currency one day.

• Haha 1

It's up to the UK government, based in Westminster, what would happen to the pound and all other things British.

Not some jumped up regional council with delusions of grandeur.

The UK government isn't English. It's British with MP's from all over the UK as well you know.

If Scotland left the UK, they would be out, as Mr. Juncker put it out means out. All Scottish MP's would cease to sit in Westminster, and effectively Scotland would have no representation. Therefore by leaving, they take themselves out of the decision making process.

Sturgeon was arrogant enough to claim she'd decide on issues such as currency. But most Scots are intelligent enough to see through her.
Of course we would have no representation, but that's what we want. Westminster is a toxic pit of self interest and greed. It fails every single person in the UK, but the only people who can effect change are the English electorate and they have failed repeatedly to address the status quo. We don't want representation because we don't the continuation of decades of exploitation by a corrupt government over which we have very limited influence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Of course we would have no representation, but that's what we want. Westminster is a toxic pit of self interest and greed. It fails every single person in the UK, but the only people who can effect change are the English electorate and they have failed repeatedly to address the status quo. We don't want representation because we don't the continuation of decades of exploitation by a corrupt government over which we have very limited influence.

The English either don't care about or celebrate the situation.  Apologies for that.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Westminster is a toxic pit of self interest and greed. It fails every single person in the UK, 

Sez you anyway. Of course Edinburgh is a haven of selfless democracy.

You would follow the Australian model of fenian democracy, as many referendums as it takes until we get the result we want. And then no more.

• Like 1

...............and you want to be free, independent and ruled from Brussels? 

The attachment shows a summary of the devolved and reserved powers under devolution. Those which are indicated as reserved are not held by the EU but by Westminster.

Don't forget - the UK did not need to ask the EU for permission to hold the Brexit referendum. DRsummary.jpeg.cad4711283a50d3a80b9e303d495d896.jpeg

• Like 1

An interesting pick from Johnson - I wonder how he thinks this will be received, both by Scottish Tory MPs and the wider electorate.

I think it's worth pointing out that, with EVEL, Scottish MPs cannot vote on English only matters, but here we have an English MP from an English constituency being given a key role in running the Scottish office.

MP for Worcester Robin Walker appointed to Scottish OfficeScreenshot_20190727-174044_Chrome.jpeg.c787a5494c80585d3c1be5c8c9429eb6.jpeg

• Like 1