McAfee detained in Dominican Republic, released after 4 days

webfact

McAfee detained in Dominican Republic, released after 4 days

2019-07-26T010833Z_1_LYNXNPEF6P01L_RTROPTP_4_CUBA-USA-MCAFEE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: John McAfee, co-founder of McAfee Crypto Team and CEO of Luxcore and founder of McAfee Antivirus, speaks during an interview in Havana, Cuba, July 4, 2019. Picture taken July 4, 2019. REUTERS/Alexandre Meneghini

SANTO DOMINGO (Reuters) - John McAfee, the eccentric creator of eponymous antivirus computer software, and an entourage were detained by Dominican immigration authorities for entering the country with a cache of firearms and ammunition, the Public Ministry said on Thursday.

McAfee, who is on the run from U.S. tax authorities, was detained after docking his yacht, named Great Mystery, in Puerto Plata on the Dominican Republic's northern coast.

The Public Ministry said it seized the weapons and ammunition found on the yacht.

McAfee posted on Twitter that he was leaving detention after "four days of confinement" and said that despite being treated well, he and his entourage, which included his wife, Janice McAfee, who was also detained, had "decided to move on."

McAfee recently told Reuters in an interview that he could help Cuba evade the U.S. government too - by launching a cryptocurrency that defeats a U.S. trade embargo.

His past includes fleeing Belize where he lived for several years after police sought him for questioning in the 2012 murder of a neighbour, meeting his wife when she solicited him as a prostitute while he was on the run and saying on Twitter last year that he had fathered 47 children.

(Reporting by Ezequiel Abiu Lopez; Writing by Anthony Esposito; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-26

49 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

John and I have a lot in common. But I have far better taste in women.

You might want to see the documentary that came out about him a few years ago, you may find some of the things he does with them, err, distasteful..

Literally.

I think this is it:

imdb

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

John and I have a lot in common. But I have far better taste in women.

His antivirus software isn't up to much if it can't even prevent his own video from going viral.

Edited by ballpoint

3 hours ago, bendejo said:

You might want to see the documentary that came out about him a few years ago, you may find some of the things he does with them, err, distasteful..

Literally.

I think this is it:

imdb

He's a scumbag megalomaniac.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This is what happens when a shady character makes more money than he can ever spend...self-indulgences, women, drugs, booze and barely staying out of trouble with law enforcement most everywhere he goes...may not end well for the aging John...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

BTW, there's a saying that Nature abhors a vacuum. Multiply this by at least a factor of 3 and you might understand why the name of John McAfee keeps, ineluctably, reappearing. He's absolutely gaming the system. He has on multiple occasions admitted it. And yet the international media keeps falling for it. Every time McAfee starts feeling old and irrelevant some incident happens and he ends up back in the eye of the media.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, OtinPattaya said:

And what? Can you articulate a question? Or are we just supposed to guess at it? This is why the Neandertals lost the evolutionary war. The inability to communicate effectively. A grunt is really not an adequate response. 

Oi!

After I made my post, you added two paragraphs, hence my comment.

Don't be snitty with me.

Edited by faraday
op added 2 paras, changing the sense of my comment
  • Haha 1

If the documentary is to be believed (its on Netflix) those who just think he was a rich bloke who was a bit mad and had a penchant for lots of ladies might get a shock to find out some of the stuff he did. 

He was a criminal, ran his own armed thugs, was corrupt and a conman. And his particular sexual depravity that the girls talk about in the documentary was so sick I wanted to gag (that's a clue) when they coyly told you what it was. I had wondered why he had no lookers in his harem, a girl would have to be down on her luck BIGTIME to act his particular penchant out. I don't think you would find anyone in Pattaya willing to do it.

Edited by MRToMRT
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

He's a millionaire, he can do whatever he wants with them.

Back to the Op,

Having guns on your yacht seems entirely sensible and reasonable to me, lots of pirates around there.

Sounds like a shake down from corrupt Dominican officials.

Followed by a smear campaign from Reuters,

what he hasn't been convicted of, shouldn't appear in the story.

Spot on. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, webfact said:

His past includes fleeing Belize where he lived for several years after police sought him for questioning in the 2012 murder of a neighbour, meeting his wife when she solicited him as a prostitute while he was on the run and saying on Twitter last year that he had fathered 47 children.

so why doesn't he just settle down in pattaya ??

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

And his particular sexual depravity that the girls talk about in the documentary was so sick I wanted to gag (that's a clue) when they coyly told you what it was. I had wondered why he had no lookers in his harem, a girl would have to be down on her luck BIGTIME to act his particular penchant out. I don't think you would find anyone in Pattaya willing to do it.

I can't hear his name without thinking about it.  Yeah, Belize is both a tropical paradise and a 3rd world s___hole, the local people very poor.  OK, it's been decades since I was there.  In the Caribbean world the term used for his fetish is a popular insult (I even heard Fidel use it when cussing out a foreign radio dj who tricked him), so the image is already there (though Belize is technically on the mainland it is considered a Caribbean country culturally -- if you've been there you'll know what I mean).  Gotta wonder how clean he keeps his moustache.

Bear in mind that he started making his fortune in the 1980s, had nothing to do with internet at that time.  It was DOS days.  I knew people back then who were convinced that he was manufacturing viruses for the sake of selling anti-virus software.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, balo said:

I uninstalled McAfee antivirus back in 2008 when I realized what kind of guy he was.  

I uninstalled McAfee antivirus after a few days when it came pre-installed on one of my first laptops, after realizing what crap it was (almost as bad as Norton). Beats me how this guy made his money, probably some deal with Microsoft.

• Like 1

One thing for sure, with all the hookers around him, and his Jack Coke not far from hand, he must be having the time of a life....hope he enjoys it even more and has good fun. ..Enjoy John !!...and ignore the comments from the bitter, jealous and the broke ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1