Pattaya: Oops! Cops extorted son of top policeman in e-cigarette sting

rooster59

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Pattaya: Oops! Cops extorted son of top policeman

Yes, it’s a good thing when bent police are busted and held accountable. But the so-called 'zero tolerance' for corruption is pretty selective.

Cops only seems to get busted when their victim has better connections, a fancier name, and more crank than they do. Then it's ..."Oops! ...sorry....just an unfortunate misunderstanding."

Ordinary people, without connections, victimized and shaken down by corrupt cops have no where to turn....and have no access to the exciting "Oops! sorry about that" storyline. 

Edited by Hayduke

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Phanuwat was previously charged with selling electronic cigarettes back in September 2016.

And he still sell it 

Nice to be son of a important police man 

You can do whatever you want 

Thailand is not fair.... Poor people get busted for selling food just for surviving.... 

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sack the thieving bar stewards now, no excuses nothing just sack them.

If you sack all the bent cops in Thailand then there would be no more than a handful left in the whole country.  My brother-in-law is a police major, a rank for bought for himself about four years ago.  It meant he went onto a higher pay scale.  Not just the official police one but also the brown envelope one.  And to think he started out as an undercover cop investigating corruption in the force!  In the end you either join the club or you are out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

If you sack all the bent cops in Thailand then there would be no more than a handful left in the whole country.  My brother-in-law is a police major, a rank for bought for himself about four years ago.  It meant he went onto a higher pay scale.  Not just the official police one but also the brown envelope one.  And to think he started out as an undercover cop investigating corruption in the force!  In the end you either join the club or you are out.

What a sad indictment of the RTP

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

What a sad indictment of the RTP

Yes but sadly true.  Initially I thought a lot of it was hot air but after nearly twenty years of being his brother-in-law I can assure you it is true.  His father was also a cop (now retired) and so is his cousin.  It does mean that my wife's family do enjoy the benefits though and never get parking fines ????

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

"The victim turned out to be the son of a senior police colonel in the north east of Thailand."

Could we see a photo of colonel's house he bought on police salary? His (and probably son's) cars etc? 

Think you may find everyone in the world and possibly every living thing is somehow related to a Pol-Col Pol-Maj-Gen there appears to be hordes of them????

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Think you may find everyone in the world and possibly every living thing is somehow related to a Pol-Col Pol-Maj-Gen there appears to be hordes of them????

Is 'horde' the collective noun for senior-ranking police?

Not certain of the spelling though, is it perhaps 'whored'?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Is 'horde' the collective noun for senior-ranking police?

Not certain of the spelling though, is it perhaps 'whored'?

They are large enough to be a horde but a "Pod of Plod" would sound so much better.

Rooster

• Haha 1

ahhh Pattaya! land of contradictions!

This is where the prostitution is supposedly illegal..right?! gimme a break!

This is also where military strangely has managed to overthrow governments  19 times since 1932.

This is where military was in full control a good portion of the last and current century.

and here somehow unemployment is less than 1%. isn't that odd?!

There is no corruption here.

and here we have 4 cops set up and bust a man for selling or buying illegal contraband(!), in this case e-cig smoking material of which its illegality is whole another topic as to why, unless the "smoking material" was narcotics which isn't clear in the story as always due to state-of-art reporting.

Dude gets busted for trading illegal stuff! right? that's criminal! Lock him up!

Corrupt cops demand money from the kid to release him. That's extortion! Lock'em up!

Father of the kid who is also a cop gets involved and from the CCTV footage, he determines that this was a case of extortion. Really! Did he do lipreading? Did he solve this crime by visually interpreting the movements of the lips of a human inside a moving vehicle from the CCTV footage on top of a street pole?

Now that I'm done typing, I can start laughing.

Edited by pattayadude

No big surprise is it.   Even the United Nations has the RTP listed as a 'Criminal Organisation'.    Don't see the Government doing anything about it, especially as it's  'A stain on the reputation of Thailand'   !    Lol.

• Like 1

This 'e' cigarette thing puzzles me. why do it? I used to smoke 50 years ago. now I don't.

I paid no attention really to this 'e' cigarette trend until about one month ago, here in Chiangmai.

I was with my Thai wife and daughter, having an evening meal in a popular bar/restaurant in the centre of CM, close to Thapae.

I noticed a seemingly Thai woman, dyed blonde hair - maybe 40ish taking a break from her foreigner male partner, to have a smoke.

It was hilarious. She had this apparatus attached to herself and she was puffing/inhaling this 'thing'.

She exhaled clouds, upon clouds of white vaporous stuff, (fumes)? sodding great clouds of it.

My first thought was - 'Doesn't she feel conspicuous'?

If this was 'vaping', then I have to say, I'm so pleased I gave up smoking all those years ago.

I saw her again a few weeks ago. same restaurant. Same procedure. I felt so sorry for her.

• Sad 1

Nicking a bathrobe in Phuket books an alien for one year in prison - lets see what happens here .....

In this context I would like to know, which minister exactly is in charge of the "Ministry of Inactive Posts" as it must be one of the biggest ones in the Land ???? 

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Cynical me. Shouldn't that be 'if we hear of it'?

Won't they just wait until the dust settles and then do no more?

Your right in that happens quite a lot but the violators have to be able to fund some major envelope transfers or have some heavyweight godfathers in order for this to go that route. Sounds like these guys will be made examples of so a corrupt force can say, "look, we are clean and doing the right thing!" Meanwhile the fifth criminal appears to be walking off with no penalty at all....?

I don’t know about Thailand but US most police are a tight brotherhood. Ex in law retired robbery / homicide and a few 

friends still active all feel it’s a brotherhood. 

The son getting the 4 put in the clink could cause father retaliation/ treated like an outsider,

This 'e' cigarette thing puzzles me. why do it? I used to smoke 50 years ago. now I don't.

I paid no attention really to this 'e' cigarette trend until about one month ago, here in Chiangmai.
I was with my Thai wife and daughter, having an evening meal in a popular bar/restaurant in the centre of CM, close to Thapae.
I noticed a seemingly Thai woman, dyed blonde hair - maybe 40ish taking a break from her foreigner male partner, to have a smoke.
It was hilarious. She had this apparatus attached to herself and she was puffing/inhaling this 'thing'.
She exhaled clouds, upon clouds of white vaporous stuff, (fumes)? sodding great clouds of it.
My first thought was - 'Doesn't she feel conspicuous'?

If this was 'vaping', then I have to say, I'm so pleased I gave up smoking all those years ago.
I saw her again a few weeks ago. same restaurant. Same procedure. I felt so sorry for her.

Foreigners and Thais vape in public, in Chiang Mai
As far as I know until recently they sold rigs in Anusarn Market.

The penalty for puffing on a eCig 10 years “Thai Jail”, so the policeman got off easy.

4 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I don’t know about Thailand but US most police are a tight brotherhood. Ex in law retired robbery / homicide and a few 

friends still active all feel it’s a brotherhood. 

The son getting the 4 put in the clink could cause father retaliation/ treated like an outsider,

I am from Western Australia and our cops are a tight brotherhood and if you break the law and bring shame on them they will nail your arse, same same but different. 

I respect and admire my police force, do you? 

Just now, rosst said:

I am from Western Australia and our cops are a tight brotherhood and if you break the law and bring shame on them they will nail your arse, same same but different. 

I respect and admire my police force, do you? 

As long as they are not corrupted. Been many examples in Australian states of various forms of corruption at all levels. Think of the catholic mafia which was rife across the police services

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Yesterday Phanuwat Suban Na Ayuthaya, 24, reported the extortion to Pol Capt Thanin Kanphai

That is a familiar family name, the unlicensed young girl that took out a van on a BKK springs to mind, the families of the victims are still waiting for compensation some years later.

Phanuwat's claim that they were police was investigated as CCTV was examined at the sites of the alleged extortion.

It turned out to be completely true. A police captain was in charge of the four men. 

WOW! working CCTV camera systems. The victim is lucky to find a spot with everything operational.

Pol Maj-Gen Nanthachart Suphamonkhon, the provincial police commander, has ordered that the four men face the full force of police disciplinary procedures. 

Daily News reported that Phanuwat is the son of a police colonel who is a deputy commander in Isaan. 

I am sure there are some vacant inactive posts in an Issan area for these folk. That could be interesting.

3 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

That is a familiar family name, the unlicensed young girl that took out a van on a BKK springs to mind, the families of the victims are still waiting for compensation some years later.

WOW! working CCTV camera systems. The victim is lucky to find a spot with everything operational.

I am sure there are some vacant inactive posts in an Issan area for these folk. That could be interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_royal_and_noble_titles#Na_Ayudhya