Irish PM says hard Brexit would raise issue of Irish unification

rooster59

On 7/30/2019 at 8:26 AM, evadgib said:

Apply safety catch, dress back to my last post and have another attempt at working out what it actually says.

Ah, your old trick of posting an idiotic comment and when challenged pretending it's far too erudite for us mere plebs to understand!

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 3:50 PM, RuamRudy said:

What an utterly reprehensible post. Shame on you.

TV posters threatening violence , using the IRA terrorists name and bombing campaigns , to threaten Brexiters is IMO "reprehensible" and they should take into consideration , that the IRA dont approve of people using their name to threaten others 

• Confused 1

On 7/30/2019 at 7:49 AM, 7by7 said:

You said 

Let others decide.

But, as said, you have obviously not noticed that the attacks by the 'New' IRA has increased, with some, so far minor, attacks in England.

Force Northern Ireland into the Republic against their will and how do you think Unionist terrorists will react?

Doesn't that concern you?

It concerns most people, Brexiteer or Remainer.

They don't care inside their toxic mind lies an arrogant English exceptionalism and they would destroy everything to see their vote honoured. They are deranged and now beyond hope - they were a dog it would time for a visit to the vet.  And a hard border / camera tech or the like will be number one target for blowing up / burning / breaking down by any number of organisations. Peaceful or otherwise. 

Image result for destroyed speed camera

• Like 1

They don't care inside their toxic mind lies an arrogant English exceptionalism and they would destroy everything to see their vote honoured. They are deranged and now beyond hope - they were a dog it would time for a visit to the vet.  And a hard border / camera tech or the like will be number one target for blowing up / burning / breaking down by any number of organisations. Peaceful or otherwise. 

radar-detruit-03.jpg&key=0da06a89efa0e723494e51db418526d523a75008bc01de8e70f335fa4be10176

So the border cannot even stand a camera. Whose camera is it and who cares? Can’t be the UK because Boris says No Border. It must be an Irish camera, funded by the EU. We care even less now.

I’ll bet there’s a UK company somewhere who can corner the market in exporting cameras to Ireland. Boom, there’s another UK export on its way to the border.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Late here - sorry if someone's already said this, no time to read all posts:

N.I. - Voted to remain.

N.I. -  is the stumbling block making EU withdrawal difficult

N.I. - was 'stolen' from Ireland

Electronic Border - proposed by Johnson will not work - it will be abused.

Border - there has to be a border of some form between the EU and the UK.

Answer - simples.........

UK gives N.I. back to the country it stole it from in 1921 (and yes, I'm English) - its going to happen in any case at some point. Stuff the DUP - any agreement that returns N.I. to its rightfull place can include guarantees and rights for N.I. citizens. Result: No need for any back stop, border can be the Irish Sea. Far easier to do a deal with the EU. Surely everyone would be better off - I might move to Ireland ????.

Of course, the Scots will be yelling blue murder - stuff them too. They had a referendum about independence just a few years ago and it was rejected - sorry boys, you can have your independence when the oil runs out ????. Seriously though, the N.I. situation is entirely different to Scotland's - they may also have voted to stay in the EU but as I said, its not long since their referendum and they haven't had 30 - 40 years of armed struggles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Ah, your old trick of posting an idiotic comment and when challenged pretending it's far too erudite for us mere plebs to understand!

Well I thought it was quite funny. I'm not sure that it is "erudite" which is defined as displaying great learning or knowledge, but it refers to an experience, using a colloquial phrase, which is shared by a significant number of us on this board.

Now you may not share that experience, or know the colloquialisms, but Im sure that you get the gist.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Loiner said:

What’s up, a bit too true for you? These threads are full of Remainer threats about a return to violence.
Remainer reprehensibility in support of Project Fear.

20 hours ago, sanemax said:

TV posters threatening violence , using the IRA terrorists name and bombing campaigns , to threaten Brexiters is IMO "reprehensible" and they should take into consideration , that the IRA dont approve of people using their name to threaten others 

The two of you are yet again completely misrepresenting what has been posted.

No poster has threatened violence; and you both know it. What has been said is that if there is the return of a hard border between Northern Ireland and the RoI this breaks the GFA, which is a peace agreement. Breaking the GFA could lead to a return of violence.

This is no idle so-called threat from Remainers here; it is a reality.

A hard Border would bring destructive clarity to the North

Those who understand the dangers – former heads of the Police Service of Northern Ireland and MI5 – have issued dire warnings over a hard border this week.

Constructive ambiguity underpins the Belfast Agreement. A hard border would bring about a destructive clarity, spelling out to nationalists that they are no longer as Irish as they would like to be. The clarion call this issues to those sympathetic to dissident republicans should be obvious

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JAG said:
23 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Well I thought it was quite funny. I'm not sure that it is "erudite" which is defined as displaying great learning or knowledge, but it refers to an experience, using a colloquial phrase, which is shared by a significant number of us on this board.

Now you may not share that experience, or know the colloquialisms, but Im sure that you get the gist.

I didn't say he was being erudite, I said that having had his remark challenged he resorted to his old trick of PRETENDING that his remark was too erudite us for mere plebs to understand.

Apols for shouting, but you seemed to have missed that important word first time around!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

The two of you are yet again completely misrepresenting what has been posted.

No poster has threatened violence; and you both know it. 

This is no idle so-called threat from Remainers here; it is a reality.

Kinda contradictory.

The case for the Leavers rests m'lud.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:48 AM, MRToMRT said:

I am a remoaner (and I enjoy being one) but even I see this as just Varadkar stirring the pot because his BIG CONCERN is Irish trade with Europe and movement of goods through GB and NI while conforming with EU rules (not GB/NI rules as we do not know these yet).

This is one of the fundamental problems, the UK and its government only recognise one "BIG CONCERN", they fail to see the concept of national identity being a problem so just try and ignore it.  Anyone who thinks nationalism is not an issue here is making a big mistake, one wrong move and the hard core unionists will be up in arms, again.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:09 AM, JAG said:

That funding can only come from the EU. If the UK has left the EU then the money pot will be significantly reduced! I wonder if Mr Varadkar has really thought it through, I wonder if the EU has actually made any guarantees?

The International Fund for Ireland was established as an independent organisation by the British and Irish Governments in 1986 with financial contributions from the United States of America, the European Union, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. 

https://www.internationalfundforireland.com/

The US House of Representatives has passed a bill that doubles funding for the International Fund for Ireland to $1.5m from $750,000.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0619/1056390-us-votes-to-increase-irish-funding/

Brussels is drawing up a multi-billion pound aid package for Ireland to shield it from the effects of a no-deal Brexit, it has been reported.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ireland-brexit-no-deal-aid-plan-protect-back-stop-border-ni-uk-a9015146.html