Australian pension threat for expats

There's a meme on Facebook by a Labor politician, Andrew Giles, claiming Morrison is planning to stop pensions to anyone living overseas after 6 weeks absence from Australia. May be true, may be false, may be kite-flying. Personally, I've never underestimated the capacity of Liberal politicians for acts of sheer bastardry.

Anyone have more concrete information? It doesn't seem to be a very sensible financial strategy to me if pensioners are forced back to Australia, start claiming rent assistance and pension supplements, and add to already stretched hospital waiting lists. Perhaps the Australian aged care industry wants us back in the fold.

67008396_2524687117571129_971966084225695744_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Suggest he (Giles) may be alluding to the pension supplements dropping to the basic rate after 6 weeks away. 

As from 1 Jan 2018, the pension supplements were already dropped after 6 weeks away. 

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Will27 said:

Suggest he (Giles) may be alluding to the pension supplements dropping to the basic rate after 6 weeks away.

You may be right. I don't have a problem with that, although it is a bit stingy to deny pensioners living overseas rent assistance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

IMO the aussie aged pension is generous considering no one has paid into it (like the UK and NS stamps) sure i hear you say "i've paid my taxes"....but a person living in OZ all their life can still get the pension and never have worked a day in their life.

As to cancelling the pension for people living overseas after 6 months,yes i could believe they would do that just as NZ have.Hopefully it would only apply to new retirees.

• Sad 1
18 minutes ago, thasoss said:

As to cancelling the pension for people living overseas after 6 months,yes i could believe they would do that just as NZ have.Hopefully it would only apply to new retirees.

Totally incorrect.

Living overseas: NZ Work and Income

You can live (reside) almost anywhere in the world and still get part or all of your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension payments. What you’ll get depends on where you go to and how long you’ve resided in New Zealand.

If you are going to reside in any other country not covered by a Social Security Agreement or a special portability arrangement, you can get up to 100 per cent of your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension.