Expat group launches online petition calling for TM.30 to be scrapped

Jonathan Fairfield

14 minutes ago, lkv said:

So to clarify on my previous post.

Any inconvenience that may be experienced by foreigners in regards to TM30, is outweighed by the Bureau's success in combatting transnational crime.

To give you a glimpse of the dialogue.

That was Big Joke's line, expect Big Oud's line to be the same.

No doubt they will justify it and come up with millions of reasons and excuses but they may also start to reconsider or at least put a stop on some other ideas which they have not come up with yet.

foreigners have never spoken out before so we really have no idea what reaction to expect .

one very important thing to note is thai reaction when anything makes them look bad on international arena. They always leap into action to “fix “ it

So it may work out well one way or another but once again without trying will never know 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BestB said:

they may also start to reconsider or at least put a stop on some other ideas which they have not come up with yet.

Nah. No chance.

They will push it as much as they feel like pushing it, regardless of what you and I feel.

Should AirBnb become legal, it will just adapt to local realities, like in India for example, where it has a help page instructing hosts how to report foreigners.

Or Spain, where by law all guests have to be registered with the guardia civil within 24 hours.

Just to give you an example, AirBnb has already complied with China's demands of 24 hour foreigner registration.

https://www.scmp.com/tech/article/2139526/airbnb-complies-china-law-hand-over-guest-details-listings-double

As for people staying long term, in China people with visas need to re-register after travelling abroad, for holders of residence permits, it depends from one province to another, generally no.

https://lawandborder.com/temporary-residence-registration-for-foreign-nationals/

We might just as well do some reading of these, they might accurately predict the future. That's what they are replicating. Read the last one, it will sound familiar.

Edited by lkv

7 minutes ago, lkv said:

Nah. No chance.

They will push it as much as they feel like pushing it, regardless of what you and I feel.

Should AirBnb become legal, it will just adapt to local realities, like in India for example, where it has a help page instructing hosts how to report foreigners.

Or Spain, where by law all guests have to be registered with the guardia civil within 24 hours.

Just to give you an example, AirBnb has already complied with China's demands of 24 hour foreigner registration.

https://www.scmp.com/tech/article/2139526/airbnb-complies-china-law-hand-over-guest-details-listings-double

As for people staying long term, in China people with visas need to re-register after travelling abroad, for holders of residence permits, it depends from one province to another, generally no.

https://lawandborder.com/temporary-residence-registration-for-foreign-nationals/

We might just as well do some reading of these, they might accurately predict the future. That's what they are replicating. Read the last one, it will sound familiar.

You comparing apples to oranges . China does not need and never needed or relied on tourists or expats.

let me give you another one example , Kaosan road.

They pushed and pushed and ignored all petitions until they killed it. Then they spent 25 000 000 DOLLARS note not baht but dollars on brainstorming how to revive it and what they they come up with ? Reverse it back to how it was but to save face put some time restrictions , like morning trading which no one was trading in the morning anyways .

So we really do not know and as much as we like to think or believe we do know , we do not .

For all you know , they do not even realise it’s giving us problems and kind of problems. 

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

You comparing apples to oranges . China does not need and never needed or relied on tourists or expats.

So again.

Tourists are automatically reported by hotels. Tourists will not even know they are being reported, it's all done by the hotels in the background.

People working in China comply with these regulations.

China does not have a "retirement" visa.

Edited by lkv

16 minutes ago, BestB said:

You only assuming tourists are reported by the hotels but I can tell you being a hotel owner of 15 years in Thailand that it is not the case .

hotels do not report ALL but only random amount as reporting every single guest would take all day. Can not say how many , but a large number of hotels are not even registered with immigration to make reports 

I understand what you're saying, but we are discussing scenarios of moving forward.

When I checked into a hotel in Sukhumvit in May (after giving up my apartment in March), they wanted my arrival card. They looked quite paranoid. I think they may have had an unpleasant visit from the Police. That's how they were behaving. Very weird.

So I did ask them, why do you need the arrival card for?

Silence.

They just ignored my question and kept typing their keyboard.

Now, I was playing dumb, I knew what they were doing. And they had no b#lls to admit they were reporting a tourist to Immigration. Because they would lose face.

It was obvious to me because I know what's going on. For people that have no clue what's going on, they will not even realise it and proceed to drink their beers at the closest restaurant.

Edited by lkv

@BestB

So I agree with what you are saying, that many hotels ignore the law, many offices ignore the law, but I don't think that, if there was a dialogue with Immigration, it would sound like:

"Oh, well, TM30 is useless. Many hotels are not doing it anyway".

If I was them, I would ask "who doesn't", and then send the Police over.

So I'm not too sure if that's a solid argument against it. If you know what I mean ????

Ok so...Now.

"We, as a group, believe that strict enforcement of the form TM30 will only serve to create more problems and ultimately show a massive downturn in tourism, foreign investment and the existence Thai families living with foreigners. We request this in the interests of Thailand."

Can we perhaps delete "massive downturn in tourism" and "foreign investment" from the petition, they do sound a bit idiotic.

Tourism i have explained already how it works, nothing to do with TM30 whatsoever. It has to do with whatever else such as high baht, boats sinking, taxi scams, ripoffs, overpriced restaurants, you name it. But not with TM30.

Foreign investment, again, nothing to do with TM30 whatsoever. That's to do with things like tax advantages, minimum salary for staff, other more profitable places in the region for companies such as Myanmar, Vietnam, etc.

And BOI investors are exempt anyway if I am not mistaken.

To keep it real and less cheesy.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, law ling said:

Seems to me that the authorities may find a blanket request that "foreigners need not report their changes of address",  as more suspicious then it sounds (rather than just being supremely impractical under the current system; which is what I assume motivates the petition). Better to press for an easier reporting system. (Tip: Change won't happen - it's revenue driven - the fines are too attractive - a "river of gold" - why would they turn that off?)

Very true its all  

I remember after the 2006 coup the junta imposed a restriction that no tourist could have more than a 90 day stay in any 6 month period. I was working in Malaysia and coming "home" on weekends to stay with my family in my condo. I had so many in/outs that at the airport immigration has to use a calculator to see if had used up my quota. I was too young for retirement visa and wife not Thai. Yes,  I did move the family out temporarily. The stupid ruling was dropped shortly afterwards.  So things can and do change. Sign the petition or don't say anything other than wish us luck.  But hey, this is a free forum so you free to say what you want within the rules.    

Edited by RBOP
spelling

just signed the petition and website ok, whether this petition has much success or not i think it is a good start and hopefully is just a starting point for a serious body to have long term dialogue with the right people about issues to assist the imm. dept. as well as ferangs.

i understand that the TM30 does not have much bearing on most of us but we have to start somewhere.

47 minutes ago, Isaanlawyers said:

We are much more than 10,000 expats, foreigners or tourists here. No, it does not affect tourists. No, it does not affect everything. But it does affect some people.

Dude, my apologies, but you don't sound like a lawyer. Not saying you are not one, but you should perhaps be a campaigner, not a lawyer.

So there's nothing wrong with bad English in a petition that you want to submit to the Prime Minister of a country? No?

Then, you expect these people to be emotionally moved by fake lines like: "TM30 is going to massively affect tourism", when it doesn't?

Then, you want people to sign an inaccurate petition with misleading statements in it?

Dude, are you for real?

Edited by lkv
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Isaanlawyers said:

but TM28 which is link to travelers in another province for 24 hours.

I told you already that this is wrong.

Maybe you should start reading the law, you claim to be a lawyer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jaffas21 said:

The amount of people signing this isn't a lot. I guess people including me don't want to appear on the authorities radar for signing something like this.  Good idea though it is.

They will not include names with the petition. See my earlier post. Don't live in fear. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I told you already that this is wrong.

Maybe you should start reading the law, you claim to be a lawyer

But it's not - if u stay somewhere longer than 24hours outside of ur current address u have to do it, even if they don't enforce it.

16 minutes ago, lkv said:

Dude, my apologies, but you don't sound like a lawyer. Not saying you are not one, but you should perhaps be a campaigner, not a lawyer.

So there's nothing wrong with bad English in a petition that you want to submit to the Prime Minister of a country? No?

Then, you expect these people to be emotionally moved by fake lines like: "TM30 is going to massively affect tourism", when it doesn't?

Then, you want people to sign an inaccurate petition with misleading statements in it?

Dude, are you for real?

There's nothing misleading.

This stuff does have a noticeable bad influence on tourism and investment. I know dozens of investors here pissed off by their recent bs me included.

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

But it's not - if u stay somewhere longer than 24hours outside of ur current address u have to do it, even if they don't enforce it.

This stuff does have a noticeable bad influence on tourism and investment. I know dozens of investors here pissed off by their recent bs me included.

Me too

4 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

How exactly does TM30 deter foreign investment or tourism.

Could you please enlighten me?

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

No, you don't.

Section 37 (4) says foreigners have to report. But below it says subsection 3 and 4 do not apply to foreigners who entered under section 34. If you entered Thailand legally, you entered under 34.

So only foreigners who entered Thailand illegally have to report if they stay somewhere else for 24 hours.

Edited by jackdd

8 minutes ago, lkv said:

How exactly does TM30 deter foreign investment or tourism.

Could you please enlighten me?

I've already once before packed up the family and left for 8 months when in 2006 they had crazy restrictions. So Thailand missed 8 months of my wife spending in Thailand. That's how.   

Edited by RBOP
Wife spends it all
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RBOP said:

I've already once before packed up the family and left for 8 months when in 2006 they had crazy restrictions. So Thailand missed 8 months of my family spending in Thailand. That's how.   

What do you mean you left?

You did not meet Immigration requirements for a proper visa at the time.

/Edit

Oh sorry, of your wife's spending? So she spent your money on your behalf in another country? So that's how it deters foreign investment. Ok.

Edited by lkv
Edit after previous poster editing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lkv said:

What do you mean you left?

You did not meet Immigration requirements for a proper visa at the time.

In 2006 after the coup the junta imposed a limit of 90 days total in any 6 months period. I was working in Malaysia and coming gome on weekends and holidays.  Airport IO used a calculator to see if I used up my quota every entry. That's when I moved the family to Malaysia temporarily.  I was too young for a retirement visa and family is not Thai. 

• Thanks 1