Expats feeling the pinch as GBP sinks to an all time low against the THB

webfact

1 minute ago, TalingChanMan said:

Agree, in the same boat, getting paid in Thai Baht and trasferring back to the UK to cover mortgage etc, looking good at the moment. Although not sure how much my properties will be worth in the short term with all this Brexit choas.

Property here or UK ?. In UK then I suggest Brexit won't make much difference to the UK domestic values although in London there may be a short term drop as the financial sector goes through a rapid reduction.

2 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Seems to me that the so-called 'United' Kingdom is about to come totally unhinged/disunited. Scotland, gone at the first chance for a referendum. Ireland...interesting to see if they'll finally unify because of this stupidity. Boris, Nigel, et al, phukking scum. As bad as the EU is/might be, it's better than what those clowns have in store, which they're making up as they go. They have no plan whatsoever beyond kicking their heels and screaming out, out, out.

sorry but little confused here, thought it was called the (DIS) United Kingdom

Local Thai banks& X-booths give you a better rate than the greedy banks back home. AUD k-bank 21.27

Back home the rate is 20.5.Big difference.

The pound has been dying a slow death for decades. Its halved in the past several years. Used to be 70- 72 baht.

What are UK banks offering? Maybe 35/6. They're worse off than Aussies in real terms.

Typically the yanks are faring better due to their gangster currency controlling the world....for now.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

You are all lucky! My UK pension has gone down from over 34000 baht before brexit to now today 26000 baht and from April 6th next year if the exchange rate continues to fall I will be lucky to get 17000 baht a month.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Unless, of course you are earning Thai baht. ????

Or ...if changed that "burning ship of home country money"  in "Thai Bulletproof Kevlar" Baht …. like I did ,so 3 years no transferring my E.U. euros anymore (stay nicely waiting there for my homecoming..) , because that suicide U.K. Brexit ….it can last another 5 years ????….. but by then I plan 50/50 home country again and maybe Thailand or Cambodia or any other destination 

So I am not crying ,but not feel happy anyway as GBP or Euro  both suffer by it

Just now, thirdleg said:

Financial sector will hardly change. All that will happen is a few offices pop up in Europe for statutory reasons.

Britain is still by far the easiest to do business in the top EU countries and will probably get easier after Brexit

evidence for this? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

Or ...if changed that "burning ship of home country money"  in "Thai Bulletproof Kevlar" Baht …. like I did ,so 3 years no transferring my E.U. euros anymore (stay nicely waiting there for my homecoming..) , because that suicide U.K. Brexit ….it can last another 5 years ????….. but by then I plan 50/50 home country again and maybe Thailand or Cambodia or any other destination 

So I am not crying ,but not feel happy anyway as GBP or Euro  both suffer by it

I and probably most Brits will take comfort in solving the water crisis as the flood of tears submerges Bangkok by November 1st????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

I and probably most Brits will take comfort in solving the water crisis as the flood of tears submerges Bangkok by November 1st????

I am lucky ….living floor 11 high Jomtien road ...????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, thirdleg said:

Financial sector will hardly change. All that will happen is a few offices pop up in Europe for statutory reasons.

Britain is still by far the easiest to do business in the top EU countries and will probably get easier after Brexit

Don't know why you are confused! Where are the markets going to go!!

https://www.doingbusiness.org/en/rankings

Germany 114 in the world for opening a business & France 96/99 in the world for buying property and getting credit. Plus all the other costs of moving + the timezone etc etc 

Good luck with that!!

• Confused 1