Monthly deposit if go back home?

I'm a US citizen here on a exstension of stay based on marriage. I'm doing 40,000 baht monthly deposits to my thai bank. 

If I get a reentry stamp and go back to America for 2 months do I still have to have 40,000 baht deosits for those 2 months? 

Just because you go back to the home country for a short while doesn't mean you still don't have living costs/bills in Thailand which requires the continuous inflow of money.  And unless you are taking the Thai spouse with you the spouse continues to need money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

The 40,000 baht is to prove you have the funds to live here, even when you are not living here.  ????

???? but why would you want 40000 to live here when your not here, i understand how it works but its the WHY that always beats me 

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Almer said:

???? but why would you want 40000 to live here when your not here, i understand how it works but its the WHY that always beats me 

Because you are living here. You just happen to be on vacation. 

If you are not living here then cancel your extension of stay and don’t get a re-entry permit. You can always start over if, 2 months later, you decide you do want to live here. That is the logic at work here.

Edited by Martyp
  • Like 1

I wonder if the forces that be who made up this rule took into consideration,that people do go back to their "Home" country to visit for a month or two.How is one suppose to travel,Thai debit cards? 

2 hours ago, Almer said:

It's 65,000 if not married, here or not! Retired or married, it seems you are expected to be in Thailand mostly. As is your money if you use money in the bank for a retirement extension.

15 hours ago, Pib said:

Just because you go back to the home country for a short while doesn't mean you still don't have living costs/bills in Thailand which requires the continuous inflow of money.  And unless you are taking the Thai spouse with you the spouse continues to need money.

And what it you are a single person with your own property.

3 hours ago, Almer said:

"Why would you want"  Surprisingly, rules and laws aren't always designed strictly to cater for what you want.

But why would you want a twelve month extension of stay if you only plan to stay here when you feel like it? What if you want to go out for 2 weeks in July, one week in August and 3 weeks in December?  You're signing up for a 12 month extension, so you need to comply for those 12 months or for one year.

Put 400,000 in the bank and don't worry about monthly deposits. That's only the same as 10 x 40,000 anyway.

Or you could visit Thailand when you want using tourist visas. No one's forcing you to get an annual extension.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Almer said:

It all adds up to the Thai Government foreign reserve account .

5 minutes ago, Percy P said:

And what it you are a single person with your own property.

You will still have monthly bills. 

Let us assume the monthly requirement is based on an annual estimate of needs, and must be a one size fits all. If you have been away, and have money left over, treat yourself to a new phone or a night out, or send the money back.

Perhaps the logic is it’s easier to make you show 12 months 

so there is little to no thinking needed by IO.

it’s like going to a 20 baht store and asking cashier how much

is this.... cashier scratching his head....and finally after walking

ourside and looking at sign.....he figured it out 20 baht. 

20 hours ago, Pib said:

OP,  

Be sure to include above two reasons when explaining to the immigration office why you are missing two months of Bt40K transfers.  I'm sure it will satisfy the officer.  

We all know the monthly deposits must continue, even when away from Thailand, but what expenses are you talking about, for someone who is not in Thailand, particularly a tenant who vacates?

8 hours ago, Almer said:

Don't ask, "WHY" in Thailand, just be a good farang and comply / pay.  ????