Forum upgrade in progress! ×

serious mental problems of westerners

Its prevelent, The surroundings are the key cause of mental illness.

Was just in Phnom phen for example, some westerners were so far gone  it was not a joke anymore , There was three foreign deaths in 24 hours in the week i was there, Must be the enamal laced 14THB cans of beer.

Thailand i see alot less of these types, And thailand is of similar costs too.

careful out there guy, mental illness from overuse of booze, poor life decisions, and over speanding is bad out here, If it comes to it just go home for 5-6 weeks , work, amd come back with 100K THB and live within your means for two months.

dont just hang around in Asia, Take your money , spend it, Then go home unless your a qualified teacher or a millionaire.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Valid point. Alcohol is a depressant.

If I recall correctly, the OP was trying to stay in Thailand while asking his family for money to support him. I would find that depressing.

These people you speak of were likely mentally-struggling prior to their Phnom Phen recce. It certainly isn't a Western affliction and would go as far as to say you'd find more problems, sadly, in the Eastern hemisphere... every human struggles with their ego-centric beast of a mind. Anyway, that's neither here nor there, 14THB a beer you say?! :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe the prospects of going back to the uk to live in a cardboard box on the street in the snow and rain is enough to make some have a 'mental problem' ! 

That's enough to make me want to jump in a river!

1 hour ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

careful out there guy, mental illness from overuse of booze, poor life decisions, and over speanding is bad out here,

yeah yeah, did you see anything important like women of questionable moral character?

51 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Take your money , spend it, Then go home unless your a qualified teacher or a millionaire.

What country does not want this?

No country wants a retard that ends up homeless and mentally ill...????

You cannot just come here with ***$ and say of im gonna live **weeks/months , The environment is so  full of temptation many will blow through 50% of there budget very quickly only to realise there dream of living on ***$ turned into a living on a quarter of what they expected.

Then they have two choices, Rough it out on a low budget because the though to return to the western world  feels unbearable then  proceed to start drinking copious amounts of booze to numb the boredom or fly back home and work / save for the next trip.

I've seen it time and time again many many farangs lose the plot trying to live out here long term on a budget with no job, no family, no real resources or marketable skills and ebd up homeless, or go completely mad with boredom/addiction.

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe the prospects of going back to the uk to live in a cardboard box on the street in the snow and rain is enough to make some have a 'mental problem' ! 

Luxury! Some have to live in a hole in the road, eat gravel for breakfast and then get hacked to death by their parents.

Seriously, life is too crazy now. Living long makes us crazy as when we get life experience we realise how barking the young people are and having to put up with it makes us crazy. 

eg. they are now telling us there are 33 genders or some such stupidity, all men are evil rapists and all white people are racist- need I go on?

For most of humanities existence, most people never went further from where they were born than they could walk, they had extended families, stable unchanging lives and news came months after things happened. Now, we travel all over then world for work and leisure, have no extended family ( many have no one that cares about them ), change jobs regularly, and have news/ information forced into us all day long. It's no wonder we are going barking under it all.

2 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Then they have two choices, Rough it out on a low budget because the though to return to the western world  feels unbearable then  proceed to start drinking copious amounts of booze to numb the boredom or fly back home and work / save for the next trip.

I did the last option.

If anyone gets bored in Thailand, they are not trying very hard. It was the most interesting place I ever lived except for Antarctica.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I did the last option.

If anyone gets bored in Thailand, they are not trying very hard. It was the most interesting place I ever lived except for Antarctica.

What are the women like?

19 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

What are the women like?

In Antarctica? They are happy anyway, nudge nudge, as become queen of all they survey. There were 2 women on my base during summer with a population of men that varied but over 30 and up to 100. In the winter there were none, so Playboy was our friend.

That was long ago, and now there are more, but I'll bet they are still queen of all they survey.

What were they like? One was beautiful and didn't; the other was cute and did. Both were popular, to state the bleedin' obvious.

I've seen it time and time again many many farangs lose the plot trying to live out here long term on a budget with no job, no family, no real resources or marketable skills and ebd up homeless, or go completely mad with boredom/addiction.

Would it be different in a Manchester bedsit?

This is the way retired men live all over the world.

Just now, BritManToo said:

Would it be different in a Manchester bedsit?

depends on the budget / Mental state of the individual.

i have seen many seperate cases over here in thailand over the years, Some died here , some went home, some returned and died here.

on individual case is A 40 Y/O londoner living in BKK with Catatonic skitzophrenia, He is was never right in the head but is gradually getting worse as he self medicates on the  dismal 100 quid weekly allowance sent by relatives  is not stretching as far as it used to.

Last time i saw him he was eating cigarette butts and talking to himself and feeding the local stray cat population,  He would be sectioned the minute he returned to the UK I'm sure. 

When I lived my last year in Thailand, I had no job, no family, no resources other than cash in the bank, wasn't allowed to work, so no need of marketable skills, lived in an hotel, and had a wonderful life. Didn't drink alcohol or use illegal drugs.

No worries except renewing the retirement extension once, and remembering to go to the restaurant on hamburger special day. I left because I didn't have enough money to stay and pay for health insurance. I could have stayed without, but I'm not the sort to not pay my bills, and health care without can be astronomically expensive in LOS.

Worst day of my life when I left LOS for the last time.

12 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

dont just hang around in Asia, Take your money , spend it, Then go home unless your a qualified teacher or a millionaire.

whats wrong with being an unqualified teacher ??

i failed , i know what its like to fail in Asia, i am the definition of failure.

I only want future versions of my self to understand the risk of South east asia, Its no longer the 1990s You can't walk in the door and start a life just because you have a western passport , We are treated equally with third world immigrants thanks to globalisation.

I think you are talking to yourself mate. Been here 30 years and have none of the problems you describe. In fact I have turned into a fitness nut here. Sure as hell in better shape mentally, financially, and physically than when I arrived. You on the other hand have had nothing but problems. Pity that. 

Just now, marin said:

I think you are talking to yourself mate. Been here 30 years and have none of the problems you describe. In fact I have turned into a fitness nut here. Sure as hell in better shape mentally, financially, and physically than when I arrived. You on the other hand have had nothing but problems. Pity that. 

Power to you brother, I wish many follow your path.

Lol... I have serious mental health problems and if I was alcohol or drug dependent, coming to Asia and drinking 14 baht beers would be the last thing you want to do. Your just begging for problems. I just see at our local waterholes in Chiang Mai the damage drinking 60 baht beers and sitting on bar-stools does for the population. Just imagine them being only 14 baht here in Thailand! It would be a race to the bottom for everyone's IQ levels. 

11 hours ago, brokenbone said:

i think coffin dodging is a stronger indication of mental illness then suicide

Then you are wrong. A death wish is not more healthy than the will to survive and aspire to happiness.  The comment is just ageism, a form of hate, age hate.

13 minutes ago, marin said:

Me too. Though I still drink at the age of 63 I now swim, jog, diet and work out in Pattaya. Its very difficult to maintain the discipline when travelling to Issan or when travelling to Europe.

Archived