Pound is second-worst performing currency in the world

webfact

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

You have to use a bigger timeframe for the thai baht.

The last 10 years it's basically recovering from the financial crisis in asia where it got hit badly.

It's after all not so surprisingly it's doing so good the last year as it started from the bottom.

not so correct... see  https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-THB

2 May 2005: 74,8866 THB per £ and 29 July 2019: 37,59415 per £

1 May 2000: € 1,714875 per £  and today: € 1,09

3 March 1975: US$ 2,4264 per £ and today: US$ 1,2169

A mightmare forex performance.  Happy I am in the "Nazi unelected bureaucracy".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Like what?

Bread flour still 32bht/Kg, same as it was 10 years back.

My home loan repayments will be the same for the next 20 years.

Petrol for my scooter cheaper than it was 10 years back (was 30bht/litre, now 28bht/litre)

When I first arrived my room rental was 5k/month, ten years later, same room is the same price.

Perhaps you missed the word prediction in my brief post.    Reflection is always 20/20.

Yes, I am very aware that it is happening now, thank you. I was actually referring to the sensationalism and error in the article. However, big banks and multi-national corporations favour EU membership and can use their influence to further affect the drop in Sterling and so create more fear, to try to confound Brexit.  

You really know nothing about currency trading do you? Multinational corporations devaluing the GBP , lol tin foil hat?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Currencies go up, currencies go down. Learn to live with what you have. Adjust your life for time being if you need to.

Chances are once Brexit is dealt with - either way - and the baht goes goes down life will get better. The only question is how long and can people struggling make do until then

The pound has been in a slide versus euro currencies like dm and gld and us dollar since wwII. I see no reason at all why that would change.

8 hours ago, nauseus said:

This is more Project Fear and I suspect very selective in terms of time-range. I would take a story from deVere with a pinch of salt, anyway. The story does not even quote the supposed worst currency, which is probably the Venezuelan Bolivar right now. There are a few obscure currencies doing worse in Africa etc. Sterling is not the second worse in terms of depreciation globally but of course it is crap at the moment against all major currencies. 

So good to see that we have your highly professional, impartial and unbiased FX  expertise to keep us informed (said nobody, ever).  

Perhaps you’d be prepared to make good on all our currency exchange loses if brexit doesn’t go as good as you predict?  No?  I thought not.

1 hour ago, losworld said:

okay but let's not forget that maybe just maybe those favoring and forwarding Brexit are being punished and threatened by the financial markets who are in opposition of Brexit.... this is not a natural decline of the currency it is indeed being manipulated...

The tin-foil hat explanation. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Paul52 said:

So good to see that we have your highly professional, impartial and unbiased FX  expertise to keep us informed (said nobody, ever).  

Perhaps you’d be prepared to make good on all our currency exchange loses if brexit doesn’t go as good as you predict?  No?  I thought not.

Always good to be appreciated. What currencies do you expect to lose on?

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Not pleasant news, but not unexpected either. I think I, like most Brits are praying that something happens to make Brexit work and that one day, the bloody Pound will start to gather a bit of strength again. Before the Brexit vote it was 55, look at it now.

It is forecast to go down to 25.6 baht to the GBP by 2023. This will make life here very dificult for all Brits (including me). 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

It's the second worse MAJOR currency: https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/pound-sterling-second-worst-performing-currency-in-the-world-today-pipped-only-by-the-madagascan-ariary/29/07/ , not sure how they define MAJOR tho - madagascar doesn't sound to be major at all.

Not sure what's it got to do with Project Fear tho - it's just reality that the UK is in the shitter currently...

That is why I used the word major. Apparently the Pound is the second worst major currency over the last 12 months, after the Swedish Krona (G10 currency). But it looks like that situation that won't last long, I'm afraid.

7 minutes ago, ResandePohm said:

It is forecast to go down to 25.6 baht to the GBP by 2023. This will make life here very dificult for all Brits (including me). 

Love to see that. Got a link?

4 hours ago, iainiain101 said:

Very true, prior to the Tiger crisis of 1997, one GBP got you just under 40 Baht.

Correct. 

monthly average for june '97 40.35. 

1407492367_ScreenShot2019-07-31at20_43_01.png.950b9842550001736b9abaf33820c344.png

1516098027_ScreenShot2019-07-31at20_24_22.png.48213d6738370adba8eac581d7fc1349.png

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Before you write anything on any Internet blog, first verify :  

1 minute ago, yodsak said:

Correct. 

monthly average for june '97 40.35. 

1407492367_ScreenShot2019-07-31at20_43_01.png.950b9842550001736b9abaf33820c344.png

1516098027_ScreenShot2019-07-31at20_24_22.png.48213d6738370adba8eac581d7fc1349.png

Prior to the 1997 crash, the baht was in a basket, its rate closely linked to the dollar. Movement up and down was limited to within a fairly narrow range.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that many of the Brits baying for hard Brexit and the damage that will do to the value of the pound have already been driven home by the exchange rate, their hope, others will be forced to follow them. 

Doubt it , most have burned their bridges in the UK ,

nought and no welcome, no greetings on their return , to mother homeland . 

Try plan C.  Cambodia see ya there soon...

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sniggie said:

The pound fell on the very day that the referendum result was announced. It fell against the Dollar, the HK dollar, the Euro and possibly the Dong for all I know. And if fell against the Baht. i would imagine that if the pound were to recover to even 1.50 USD there would be a concomitant rise against the baht. Brexit has caused the collapse of the pound against ALL major currencies - and the Baht.

lol dear oh dear. Go back and reread the original post. I stated their is no direct exchange rate between Sterling and the Baht which of course there isnt. Only the USD has the priviledge

Its the sum of Sterling/Dollar mulltiplied by Dollar/Baht.....at no point is there any direct link between uk and Thailands currency.  The current shocking Sterling/Baht rate you see at Thailands exchanges is the appalling state of Sterling/Dollar on one side of the pairing and on the other side the Bahts strength against the Dollar.

Really is time admin mods or whomever pinned these points because it gets repeated ad infinitum on these threads. The amount of people with passports who have no idea how their own exchange rate works is shocking

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I'm sure there are some that making a killing on this... 

People who built a house at 75 and now sell snd take to money to the UK at 37, very nice thankyou