Pound is second-worst performing currency in the world

webfact

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes, I did. 

I was member of a union and any attempts to cut work place benefits were opposed and repelled. 

Members of Unions are better paid. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10860017/Union-members-4000-a-year-better-off-government-report-suggests.html

Neoliberalism, boardroom greed and theft under the guise of 'business necessity'  have far more to answer for than immigrants working, paying taxes, buying goods and services and increasing the size of the economy. 

Really?  So how come occupational pensions have been decimated?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

In my opinion (as a former employee elected trustee of a work place pension), the nail in the coffin of pensions was two things:

1. A misunderstanding of risk amongst policy makers, very specifically the 'pension debt calculations' attached to the UK Government's pension protection scheme. Essentially a calculation  that minimised risk of the Government ever paying out to protect a pension at cost of loading immediate debts on to employers to cover liabilities that run out over decades. 

2. Employers taking 'contribution holidays' over years prior to the economic crash.

Absolutely nothing to do with immigrants and immigration.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Low interest rates dramatically increases actuarial funding requirements.  It cost my former employer $100'sM more than anticipated over the last couple decades. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The British Pound Is Starting to Resemble Emerging-Market Currencies

The turbulence in the British pound is increasingly resembling gyrations typically seen in emerging markets.

While the U.K. currency is heading for its biggest monthly slump since October 2016 amid growing chances of a no-deal Brexit, its 90-day correlation with a gauge of developing-nation currencies has risen to the most in almost three years.

Given the U.S. dollar’s continued strength and the shared vulnerability to political risks of the U.K. and developing nations, this relationship may get more attention in the weeks to come.

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=GBP&To=USD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes, I did. 

I was member of a union and any attempts to cut work place benefits were opposed and repelled. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10860017/Union-members-4000-a-year-better-off-government-report-suggests.html

Neoliberalism, boardroom greed and theft under the guise of 'business necessity'  have far more to answer for than immigrants working, paying taxes, buying goods and services and increasing the size of the economy. 

Ok, so that explains your firm grip on reality. I was 37 years a union member. A decade working for my union. Worked my way up to the top elected position nationally. Most satisfying work imaginable. Especially the huge gains we made to our defined benefit pension plan formula. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Did you not work in the UK when a living wage was the 'norm' for most people??  It was not "mandated".

I caught the 'tail end' of this era - and saw how salaries/pensions etc. fell....

I agree that this was largely due to the 'gordan gekko/Thatcher' mentality at the time - but a never ending influx of immigrants from poor EU countries didn't help....

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes, I did. 

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

52 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

In my opinion (as a former employee elected trustee of a work place pension), the nail in the coffin of pensions was two things:

1. A misunderstanding of risk amongst policy makers, very specifically the 'pension debt calculations' attached to the UK Government's pension protection scheme. Essentially a calculation  that minimised risk of the Government ever paying out to protect a pension at cost of loading immediate debts on to employers to cover liabilities that run out over decades. 

2. Employers taking 'contribution holidays' over years prior to the economic crash.

Absolutely nothing to do with immigrants and immigration.

I agree to a certain extent that the decimation of occupational pensions and salaries started before the influx of cheap labour from the eu - but the influx of cheap labour certainly didn't help the situation!

Incidentally, your last post is pretty much an exact replication of the annual twaddle I receive from my pension providers ???? - so I can well believe that your are a previous 'trustee' of a work place pension! ????

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Before you write anything on any Internet blog, first verify :  

I dont really understand your reply. Are you saying take the rate from after the crash? 

what did you verify???? here is web site with some rates

https://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates-graph-zoom.php?C1=GBP&C2=THB&A=1&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=1979&DD2=31&MM2=07&YYYY2=2019&LARGE=1&LANG=en&CJ=0&MM1Y=0&TR=ON

Edited by iainiain101
spell

1 hour ago, pegman said:

Low interest rates dramatically increases actuarial funding requirements.  It cost my former employer $100'sM more than anticipated over the last couple decades. 

I think this is a large part of the key to this pension problem. 

We got an endowment mortgage in the 1980s, and were told that it would pay back the mortgage and give us huge additional revenue when it matured. We ended up having to pay them 1000s just to pay off the mortgage.

SO

1) Expectation of continued high interest rates.

2) Absurdly low contributions and foolishly guaranteed generous pension payouts. (For the State sector in particular.)

3) Failure of all governments to address the looming baby boomer demographic problem, -  it was just too scary, it would cost too much, they might lose power.

4) Stupidly low taxation levels for everyone, albeit the starting point certainly should have gone up.

5) No recognition that if you want to get something you have to pay for it. In countries like the Netherlands you pay lots of tax, and get great pensions.

If you took your additional pension contributions you paid on your State job income to an actuary and ask him (Imagining investment over a lifetime of work) to pay you the same occupational pension you get from the State now, he would pi#s himself laughing. That unfunded debt now stands at around 1 Trillion.

Edited by Nigel Garvie
copy

Having an indexed linked pension on the margins is not going to do anybody living abroad much good if the currency is taking a sufficiently heavy beating. In some respects the horse has already bolted and any Brexiteer selling you the moonshine of a Sterling bounce on the disorderly shambles of no-Deal Brexit should be loudly laughed at.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 5:57 AM, darksidedog said:

Not pleasant news, but not unexpected either. I think I, like most Brits are praying that something happens to make Brexit work and that one day, the bloody Pound will start to gather a bit of strength again. Before the Brexit vote it was 55, look at it now.

Your dream will end with an unpleasant wakeup.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I am not saying that Brexit voters are fascists, in my eyes I see them as the sad victims of conmen, the basic point that the writer of the piece was trying to make.

I will say though that populist voters, including the Brexit voters, have (Unwittingly in large part) helped put neo fascists, or a least leaders from the far right, into power. 

....and I will have to say so what?   The voting box is there ,cast your vote,do not like the outcome?  so what?   long gone are the days (if they ever existed at all) of pinning racist,bigot and all the other utter tosh insults.  Id say a badge of pride actually,but that is my own take of events

On 7/31/2019 at 7:49 PM, nauseus said:

Always good to be appreciated. What currencies do you expect to lose on?

OK , expert , what can we expect gbp /thb , @ month ending . 

Edited by elliss

21 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Cool, so the pound is doing better than Venezuela and a couple of obscure

African nations.

I feel so much better now, thanks.

Venezuela and uk , can twin together , entente cordial etc,  and starve together..

39 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Keep the faith people. After we have left the the sinking Federal Euro bureaucracy, the pound will recover*. I predict 50+ baht to the pound come end of March 2020. 

Obviously, for those of us here in LOS, the more baht to the pound the better, but the vast majority of UK subjects are not really affected concerned with this blatant scaremongering. 

Weak pound good for exporting to the coming US market (as long as we do as requested with iran).

* If the US petrodollar doesn't go belly up first, (which it could do at any time), and send most of the world's currencies crashing,

You also predicted a crash for fiat currency, did you not? According to your predictions, that should have happened a while ago.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You also predicted a crash for fiat currency, did you not? According to your predictions, that should have happened a while ago.

I did predict a Petro-dollar crash for last December. I was wrong. I didn't think the massive dollar printing would fool as many as it did for so long (and doing so still).

But it will come and The Don's trade wars will simple accelerate its demise.

• Like 1