Risk of no-deal Brexit is now significant, says Northern Ireland's DUP

snoop1130

Risk of no-deal Brexit is now significant, says Northern Ireland's DUP

fghfhj.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A flag depicting the British Union Jack design and the EU design is seen outside of the Houses of Parliament in London, Britain, January 14, 2019. REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyne

LONDON (Reuters) - The chances of Britain leaving the European Union without a deal are significant, a lawmaker from Northern Ireland’s Democratic Unionist Party said on Wednesday, signalling its support for Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s tough Brexit approach.

Jeffrey Donaldson, a senior lawmaker in the DUP which props up the Conservative government, said the party agreed with Johnson that the only way to get a Brexit deal through parliament was to drop the so-called Irish backstop.

“I think given the response of the Irish government in particular, who I believe are key to this issue of addressing UK concerns about the backstop, I think the prospect of a no deal is significant,” he told BBC radio.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-31
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Default. Already legislated for.

Think those in parliament may have something to say about that.

Nothing has been decided yet and johnson is getting a lesson in reality from those who will suffer if no deal occurs. 

Boris Johnson on first Welsh visit says no-deal Brexit up to the EU https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-49151870

It’s quite fitting he visited a chicken farm I feel. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Loiner said:

They already said it. Voted on it. Passed it.

Parliament can still stop it. 

Deadlines have been set and passed. 

Nothing to stop it happening again. 

Either way Eire has the backing of the EU in its goal of protecting the Good Friday Agreement. 

Much better than relying on the british govt to follow through on agreements they have negotiated, as the events of last few months have shown. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The EU will insist on any new borders between the UK and Eire , NOT the UK

No new borders are being discussed by anyone.

Least of all me. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I shall speak more slowly next time , for the hard of understanding 

Just check your own posts before posting so they reflect what you are trying to say.  

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Just check your own posts before posting so they reflect what you are trying to say.  

The discussion was about a new hard border between the UK and Eire , but yes, I should have written "new hard border " instead of just "new border" for the people who need everything explained to them 

• Sad 1