'Suffocating' UK factories report biggest fall in output in seven years - PMI

snoop1130

21 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

After Brexit, the demand for Scottish curling stones will skyrocket as they look to N.American markets.

If… then the Germans will produce then on their computer steared systems... 

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Que Sera, Sera

No one said it would be easy.

Well nice Mr Farage certainly did , apparently millions agreed with him.

I wonder as we all plunge lemming like off an economic cliff ,whether they will still be clinging to their notion that " project fear " was an illusion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terryw said:

Schoolboy standard reporting. Germany's PMI has fallen more than the UK yet this is not specifically mentioned as a comparison by Reuters. Manufacturering is less than 10% of the UK economy compared to more than 20% in Germany.

Learn first what a PMI stands for.

https://www.investing.com/economic-calendar/german-manufacturing-pmi-136  

https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/manufacturing-pmi

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

There could be a few remainers on here needing my services if Boris pulls off Brexit !!

Keep that unicorn idea to yourself/ourselves, we could be on a winner.....????

As a , albeit reluctant , remain voter I would be delighted to see Boris pull off a Brexit deal.

However crashing out with no deal would be a nightmare that would harm our economy for years.

The saving grace is that Boris is fully aware of that fact , despite what he may say publicly to the contrary , dont think it will happen.

Make no mistake , Boris had one goal which he has now achieved , if backing remain had helped his cause , he would certainly have done so.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Sorry to hear that you had to do that but it might give some of the people on this forum who only know the hypothetical regarding Brexit and who have little “skin in the game” an example if what’s really happening because of it.

I fear you are one of many. 

I am lucky to be able to move so easily and still remain in Britain where my son is being educated.  Although I haven't, I know that some of the other businesses are being contacted daily by others who are seriously looking at doing the same thing.  The driving factor at the moment for most businesses (that have an element of importing parts etc.) is the weakness of the pound and the probability of that being the case for quite a while with a no-deal Brexit.  The banks are certainly reluctant to finance projects or expansion for these businesses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

There are not many of those from the evidence of my conversations. Surprisingly, more remainers choosing Brexit because of the EU intransigence (their words, not mine).

From a business advancement point of view the crematorium is happy to take leavers or remainers.

That may well be your experience but I think a second referendum would almost certainly result in a fairly comfortable remain victory.

I dont incidently favour a second vote but I do wish that Brexiters had been more realistic in their aspirations.

In years to come I fear that there will be a lot of hand wringing and dismay that Mrs May's deal was rejected.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

yes but it was a rubbish deal that was offered" no deal is better than a bad deal" now what remainer said that?

So perhaps you would explain exactly why it was ' rubbish '.

Had Cameron secured a deal even close to it there would never had been a referendum and Farage would have felt vindicated.

6 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

They have made a deal. It's just that no one wants the deal as so much more was (stupidly) promised by the Brexit brigade.

The Brexit brigade have made no deals with the EU. 

Teresa May with her Remainer cabinet tried for 3 years to do so and her much vaunted deal didn't get parliament not once, not even twice but 3 times it was turned down by parliament.

So where is the completed and signed off deal now?

9 hours ago, Estrada said:

The succesful company I built up in the UK, that was established 50 years ago, has gone bankrupt due to Brexit. I sold my shares in 1994 and I worked closely with Anthony Bamford of JCB for years. Lord Bamford is the main financier of Brexit and Boris Johnson to the tune of at least GBP 1 Million to date. He and other millionaires behind Brexit, stand make billions whilst duping the leavers into believing that they will benefit, whch clearly they are not. Leavers told me 3 years ago that the fall in the value of the Pound would only be for 3 weeks. 3 years later, the pound is still on its knees, businesses are planning to close and relocate with more job losses.

only three weeks you say and you believed them, was it written on the bus?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

After Brexit, the demand for Scottish curling stones will skyrocket as they look to N.American markets.

This will become a key export industry in Supreme Leader Sturgeon's new Independent Scottish nation.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

So when Boris doesn't get a better deal , who is the new scapegoat ?

He'll blame the EU. Say they wouldn't play nicely with him. 

Then amidst the UK constitutional crisis and complete fcku up he'll probably do a runner.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

So when Boris doesn't get a better deal , who is the new scapegoat ?

Boris will get the same deal, just made to look a bit better.

Everybody happy ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yo! Indeed.

Fellow lathe operator!

High 5!

I have a Bison Dickson clone on my Boxford VSL over here, with 19 tool holders, 16 of which i made myself.

One of my biggest regrets was not bringing my Roundhead Student with me.

Regards.

20160830_134315.thumb.jpg.1b016ea31bd815a7c20ee1be4f21fa10.jpg

Nice bit of kit for it's age. I am currently enjoying my Chipmaster, 35mm through the spindle which I need for working on the end of long bars. No spares for the TOS so sadly it was scrapped, some machine at 1.3 tons which I bought for £1000 cash, those were the days. I mainly work on hardwoods, but do toolmaking from time to time. No longer full time, back is acting up, but can still say I love my work, which is unusual apparently. Now back on topic, interesting sidetrack though. I was planning to do some work out here, but I'm still sourcing materials. ATB.

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

That may well be your experience but I think a second referendum would almost certainly result in a fairly comfortable remain victory.

I dont incidently favour a second vote but I do wish that Brexiters had been more realistic in their aspirations.

In years to come I fear that there will be a lot of hand wringing and dismay that Mrs May's deal was rejected.

The only aspiration I had was to leave. That was one of the 2 options that I could vote for.

3 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Well nice Mr Farage certainly did , apparently millions agreed with him.

I wonder as we all plunge lemming like off an economic cliff ,whether they will still be clinging to their notion that " project fear " was an illusion.

Opportunity should not be confused with easy.. especially when dealing with those b4stards in the EU.

Project Fear was, and is, very real and an inflation of reality.

I note that we are still not at parity with the Euro, or the Dollar.......

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Opportunity should not be confused with easy.. especially when dealing with those b4stards in the EU.

Project Fear was, and is, very real and an inflation of reality.

I note that we are still not at parity with the Euro, or the Dollar.......

Wonderful, I love this line "Project Fear was, and is, very real and an inflation of reality"

Can you say very real, or a little real, or rather unique for that matter; it's called qualifying an absolute, it's either real or it ain't. I'm struggling with "An inflation of reality", I though it sounded impressive, and maybe I could use it in a song, but I'm not sure people would understand. Possibly it's a cross between the inflation stage at the beginning of the universe, and LSD!!

Edited by Nigel Garvie
extra
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Nice bit of kit for it's age. I am currently enjoying my Chipmaster, 35mm through the spindle which I need for working on the end of long bars. No spares for the TOS so sadly it was scrapped, some machine at 1.3 tons which I bought for £1000 cash, those were the days. I mainly work on hardwoods, but do toolmaking from time to time. No longer full time, back is acting up, but can still say I love my work, which is unusual apparently. Now back on topic, interesting sidetrack though. I was planning to do some work out here, but I'm still sourcing materials. ATB.

Chipmaster is a wonderful lathe with that art deco headstock. A sort of variable speed Bantam with a Student spindle hole.

Holes - er yeah, Boxford pitiful 20mm... Lathe is a 69. Have a Tom Senior mill here, and a Boxford shaper and a Stent T&CG amongst other things.

I presume all your stuff described is in the UK?

Sorry guys - carry on back on topic re politics....

27 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Chipmaster is a wonderful lathe with that art deco headstock. A sort of variable speed Bantam with a Student spindle hole.

Holes - er yeah, Boxford pitiful 20mm... Lathe is a 69. Have a Tom Senior mill here, and a Boxford shaper and a Stent T&CG amongst other things.

I presume all your stuff described is in the UK?

Sorry guys - carry on back on topic re politics....

Conversations in which the participants actually know what they're talking are unsuitable for airing on thaivisa

• Haha 2