Sudden sickness, explosive vommiting

BurgerGung

7 hours ago, BurgerGung said:

It was all over after a few hours. But man ,was I sick!

Any idea, what  might have caused this?  Bacterial...? 

at any time in the last 90 days have you appeared jaundice? slightly yellow? 

differential 

There are several possible causes for projectile vomiting in adults, as well.

Infection

Infections of the gastrointestinal tract, such as from norovirus, are responsible for most cases of vomiting in adults. This is sometimes referred to as the stomach flu. While projectile vomiting is not common with these types of infections, it’s possible.

In addition to vomiting, symptoms of a gastrointestinal infection may include:

• abdominal pain
  • diarrhea
  • body aches
  • fatigue

Food poisoning

Food poisoning can also cause projectile vomiting. This is because your body is trying to get rid of the toxin, such as a bacterium, that was contaminating the food. Learn how to tell if it’s a stomach bug or food poisoning.

Obstructions

Stomach or bowel obstructions have many causes in adults, and such obstructions can cause projectile vomiting. Obstructions can be caused by:

• twisting of the intestine (intestinal volvulus)
  • adhesions
  • hernias
  • noncancerous and cancerous tumors
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the same both involving street food in latin america many years ago...usually caused by a bacterium in the food that yer body is trying it's best to expel with the explosive vomiting...so long as it's a short, violent episode with none of the following

• abdominal pain
  • diarrhea
  • body aches
  • fatigue

then things should be OK shortly afterwards...if any of the above symptoms appear and persist then go see a doc...

It's probably too late for this now, but you should get oral hydration salts (available in sachets in any pharmacy for about 5 baht each) and drink them with water. You will be very dehydrated and will need to replace electrolytes.

• Like 2

My guess is that you ate some rice in the few hours prior to being sick and this will be the cause, especially if it was a one off incident / very short lived illness.

Rice is a major cause of food poisoning and it sounds like bacillus cereus to me, so yes, a bacterial toxin.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, rwill said:

And keep some carbon pills on hand.

I don't believe this is recommended any more and even harmful.

Old rice - salmonella. Contamination from uncooked meats. Food poisoning in general.

I've only had food poisoning twice in thirty years in SEA. Lao eating balut and grabbing some junk food in the street in bkk. I was starving and knew it was sketchy.

I'd blame it on the rice at home sitting out unrefrigerated if that sounds possible.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

.... just to calm things a little, I have twice suffered these symptoms, once seen them on another person, and it was caused by drinking a cold beer on an empty stomach after a long, hot, thirsty day (trekking). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

My guess is that you ate some rice in the few hours prior to being sick and this will be the cause, especially if it was a one off incident / very short lived illness.

Rice is a major cause of food poisoning and it sounds like bacillus cereus to me, so yes, a bacterial toxin.

board question lol