TM30 - is anybody actually clear on this?

Article 37 of the Immigration Act 1979 says that the TM30 is required when an alien visits another province. I've definitely seen it worded like this on the wall at Chaeng Wattana immigration office, too. However, all references I can find only say that you need to submit it, even if you stay away from home WITHIN the same province - even if it's an overnight hospital visit.

Sure, I'm familiar with the general rule here in Thailand - the laws often depend upon which side of the bed the immigration officer has emerged from that morning - but can anyone shed light on this?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Scorpion364 said:

Article 37 of the Immigration Act 1979 says that the TM30 is required when an alien visits another province.

No. Article 38 stated that the housemaster has to report. This has to be done by the rules released by the Director General of the police. An the rules of the Director General contain the templates of the forms to use. As released they had no TM## numbering but this is the actual TM30 form.

I uploaded all this stuff in the thread about the patition to scrap the tm30. You will find it there.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Scorpion364 said:

Article 37 of the Immigration Act 1979 says that the TM30

Article 37 = TM28, the foreigner has to report

Article 38 = TM30, the owner, landlord, possessor has to report

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

Which is why I suggested that if you are potentially affected (i.e. live there or likely to go to Immi for whatever reason) get hooked up online or via the app and lodge on your own behalf at your leisure. That way regardless of what the IO at a given locations decides the rules are that day you're covered.

54 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Which is why I suggested that if you are potentially affected (i.e. live there or likely to go to Immi for whatever reason) get hooked up online or via the app and lodge on your own behalf at your leisure. That way regardless of what the IO at a given locations decides the rules are that day you're covered.

Salerno, thanks for your input, (and others, but I respond to yours here...) Do you mean you can complete and submit the TM30 yourself - you don't have to ask your landlord to do it? I suspect they ask you to get your landlord to do it because then there is less chance it will be done... (Especially if your landlord is one of the 'mai pen rai', head-in-the-sand tribe.)

I've just sent my new landlord an e-mail drawing their attention to this, and advising them if they don't submit the form when I request them to, that any fine I incur will be deducted from the rent I pay them for that month. It totally does seem unreasonable though to give them an extra task whensoever I choose to take a short break away, and I feel that the onus should be on ME, not them. Wouldn't I need a copy of their title deeds/ID though, and would they be so keen to hand these over to me? Is there any danger in them doing so? (Apologies for not being more in-the-know, but I guess that's what these forums are for! Thanks in advance for any further advice...)

Edited by Scorpion364

@Scorpion364 Yes, you can do it yourself as "possessor", possibly need some details from the landlord. 

If you have a long-term lease personally I'd get set up myself (app and online account as both are usual Thai IT quality!).

If short-term and the landlord tends to lease short-term, I'd suggest to the landlord they set up an account and when they get a new tenant, give the account details to the tenant so they can report themselves and just change the password for the next tenant.

Edited by Salerno
Added links

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

@Scorpion364 Yes, you can do it yourself as "possessor". 

If you have a long-term lease personally I'd get set up myself (app and online account as both are usual Thai IT quality!).

If short-term and the landlord tends to lease short-term, I'd suggest to the landlord they set up an account and when they get a new tenant, give the account details to the tenant so they can report themselves and just change the password for the next tenant.

I have a year's contract, and will probably only stay here a year. The landlord in question has multiple (many, many) properties, so I would actually expect they already have an account, and do this as standard for other tennants. However, I presume a large % of those tennants are Thai, and while I myself have only just become aware of this law (because they've recently started clamping down on it more) I have to suspect they may not actually have a clue about it. I await their reply!

11 minutes ago, Scorpion364 said:

The landlord in question has multiple (many, many) properties, so I would actually expect they already have an account, and do this as standard for other tennants.

That is the only real issue I see with this new found desire for enforcement. I'd bet my bottom dollar a hell of a lot of "landlords", especially those in the AirBnB program, aren't paying tax or paying less than they should; filing TM30s could bring that fact to the governments attention.

If yours has so many properties, likely to be 100% legit. Even with looking at just being there a year, personally I'd feel better it being my responsibility than the landlords.

Edited by Salerno

4 minutes ago, Scorpion364 said:

The AirBnBs are better for us though. If they ain't paying tax, they're not gonna report we're staying there, so we're not gonna have to submit a TM30...

Why is that better ? Later when you go to immigration for an extension, you dont get an extension and there are fines to pay before you can. As a tourist or expat staying at a property you want TM30s to be put in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scorpion364 said:

If they ain't paying tax, they're not gonna report we're staying there, so we're not gonna have to submit a TM30

Which is where people can be tripped up. Say you stay in a place in Bkk that doesn't file, you then do a tour up north staying in a hotel or wherever that actually files. You head back to Bkk and for whatever reason (extension, 90 day report etc.) you have to deal with Immi. Last TM30 on the system would be from up north ... cue sounds of cash till.

IMO play there stupid game, but take third parties out of the equation ... enjoy stress free life and let others pay fines.

Edited by Salerno
  • Haha 1

I have yet to hear different from CM as they told me years ago only needed after outside the travel. Now until I hear differently, I will not bother for domestic travel. Has anyone heard anyone from CM saying anything new?  

Edited by holy cow cm

3 hours ago, Salerno said:

Which is where people can be tripped up. Say you stay in a place in Bkk that doesn't file, you then do a tour up north staying in a hotel or wherever that actually files. You head back to Bkk and for whatever reason (extension, 90 day report etc.) you have to deal with Immi. Last TM30 on the system would be from up north ... cue sounds of cash till.

For 90 day report would the TM30 be an issue? 

@MRToMRT  At the current time not as far as I'm aware, most reports of fines seem to be about people going for extensions, although a few people have been caught in spot checks of condos. If Immi decide it's a nice little earner who knows though. That's why if I was in the position I'd just bite the bullet, get an account set up if I could, and play their stupid game with as little inconvenience as possible.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

@MRToMRT  At the current time not as far as I'm aware, most reports of fines seem to be about people going for extensions, although a few people have been caught in spot checks of condos. If Immi decide it's a nice little earner who knows though. That's why if I was in the position I'd just bite the bullet, get an account set up if I could, and play their stupid game with as little inconvenience as possible.

Not sure if I understand this correctly, but I think the following example contradicts...

A friend of mine works at a school in Nonthaburi where 12 teachers' passports went to Immi for 90 day reporting. 8 of them got rejected and the teachers fined, because they'd had weekends away and not filed TM30. This is new, yes, because they're clamping down on it, but the law is old, so there can be no comeback. The teachers in question were of various nationalities.

• Like 1

My own experience, only if leave and re-enter the country OR moving place of residence to another Province.

However, as many of us know, inconsistency and interpretations vary dramatically from province to province and sometimes within the same office !! ????

How can you set up an account to see if a tenant can really do that for himself ?

Anybody got a link ?

EDIT : I found the link and only owners of the property are supposed to register  giving details of property ID etc. What is this "possessor" status some people are advocating ? Is it legal ?

Edited by Barry864

13 hours ago, Scorpion364 said:

A friend of mine works at a school in Nonthaburi where 12 teachers' passports went to Immi for 90 day reporting. 8 of them got rejected and the teachers fined, because they'd had weekends away and not filed TM30.

Please explain on detail. I like to know the following:

a) Did they go in person or used they someone to send the passports together with the tm47 90 days teport?

b) Are they their own housemasters and in duty to do the tm30 report or is another person the housemaster?

c) Do i understad right, they not get the receipt slip of the tm47 90 days report form?

d) How are they get fined and how much?  The person who transfered the passport paid or they get a ticket to pay?

e) Do they have any evidence about this case. Do they have whitness. Do they know the name of the IO?

Edited by schlemmi