'Many killed' in shooting at Walmart in El Paso; suspect in custody

rooster59

An alternative scenario is that there could have been more dead.....

No it’s true he lasted way too long in that Walmart in Texas and was able to actually reload at least once probably more than that in reality and he had plenty of time too shoot about 46 people 20 people dead and another 26 people wounded. By the time the cops arrived he was literally out of ammunition which is probably the only reason why he was even taken alive in the first place. According to the news he had about 20 minutes to shoot as many people as he could in a very crowded Walmart and I to am also very surprised that no one did anything heroic to at least try to stop him especially in a state like Texas with all the armed citizens and their open carry gun laws. But I wasn’t there so I don’t know all the circumstances except for what I’ve heard on the news. If you even kind of know what you’re doing with the right kind of gun you could easily shoot a lot of people in a crowded place like Walmart it doesn’t take a genius that’s why they need to have more security in extremely crowded places in this day and age.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you even kind of know what you’re doing with the right kind of gun you could easily shoot a lot of people in a crowded place like Walmart it doesn’t take a genius that’s why they need to have more security in extremely crowded places in this day and age. I honestly doubt that even the shooter was expecting to be taken alive but he was taken alive probably because he had so much damn time to keep firing off so much ammunition that he literally ran out of ammunition when he was caught which was actually confirmed that he actually was out of ammunition when he surrendered, so that’s probably what really happened or at least close to what really happened there. He really did have way too much time to keep killing if I’m there with my family I would have at least tried to stop him even if I had to die trying because this isn’t something that’s ever supposed to happen.

16 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

No it’s true he lasted way too long in that Walmart in Texas and was able to actually reload at least once probably more than that in reality and he had plenty of time too shoot about 46 people 20 people dead and another 26 people wounded. By the time the cops arrived he was literally out of ammunition which is probably the only reason why he was even taken alive in the first place. According to the news he had about 20 minutes to shoot as many people as he could in a very crowded Walmart and I to am also very surprised that no one did anything heroic to at least try to stop him especially in a state like Texas with all the armed citizens and their open carry gun laws. But I wasn’t there so I don’t know all the circumstances except for what I’ve heard on the news. If you even kind of know what you’re doing with the right kind of gun you could easily shoot a lot of people in a crowded place like Walmart it doesn’t take a genius that’s why they need to have more security in extremely crowded places in this day and age.

El Paso Walmart is not the sort of demographic where it would be likely that you would encounter someone with a concealed handgun. Half of Texas is what foreigners think of when they think of Texas. The other half is basically Mexico. And El Paso is definitely the "basically Mexico" part of Texas. Had the shooter tried this in his own home town he almost certainly could have been confronted with a Concealed Carry Permit holder. He went to El Paso for a reason. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Have they released the racial details of the victims.

Seems to me a white supremacist would only kill non-whites, while a random madman would kill anyone in front of him.

Until we know who the victims were, it's a bit soon to pronounce judgement on his reasons.

Most US shooters are just randomly crazy.

El Paso is mostly Hispanic.

https://statisticalatlas.com/place/Texas/El-Paso/Race-and-Ethnicity

They said on the news that there was over 3,000 people in that Walmart that Saturday morning and yet no one even tried to stop him I doubt that no one even tried to stop him. I’m sure at least someone tried there will probably be more stories to come from the inside of that Walmart that day. I remember at first they thought there was multiple shooters maybe because someone did shoot back but I don’t know. I think the only reason why there were reports at first about more than one shooter is simply because he fired off so much ammunition for so long and killed and wounded so many people. The people who were hiding in the back of the Walmart probably didn’t know what the hell was going on up in the front of the store they were probably thinking mass terrorist attack or something. When most people hear gunfire like that close by they panic and run that’s just natural and these ass holes use that to their advantage to kill innocent people just out going shopping or going about their days just doing normal stuff. Today people have to be living life in the red zone just going to the damn store.

Yes and apparently that’s why this ass hole picked a crowded place in El Paso. The shooter actually lived about 600 miles away from El Paso near the city of Dallas Texas. El Paso Texas is a pretty big border town on the Texas/Mexico border and it is mostly Hispanic for that reason. I’ve driven through El Paso Texas many times driving across country and I’ve been to that same Walmart just off of I-10 where the shooting occurred but that was about 20 years ago now since I’ve been through that area.

El Paso Walmart is not the sort of demographic where it would be likely that you would encounter someone with a concealed handgun. Half of Texas is what foreigners think of when they think of Texas. The other half is basically Mexico. And El Paso is definitely the "basically Mexico" part of Texas. Had the shooter tried this in his own home town he almost certainly could have been confronted with a Concealed Carry Permit holder. He went to El Paso for a reason. 

Yeah I know Texas pretty well to and I was kind of thinking the same thing.

In his manifesto he clearly stated that he was.......

"railing against immigration and announcing that "this attack is a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas."

He gave his reasons, and possibly shot a few "others" during his rampage. 

So perhaps we should move ahead with building the wall and improving border security rather than having the left sabotage everything the President is trying to do.

Or you guys can keep stirring up the animosity and dividing the country.

So perhaps we should move ahead with building the wall and improving border security rather than having the left sabotage everything the President is trying to do.

I can’t stand the political discussions after these things happen either but that includes all politics after these things happen. How about we all forget about politics and just do the right thing for once. I don’t know if anyone has all the answers. I also can’t stand everyone gloating about who’s from the most violent country in the world either.

9 minutes ago, mogandave said:

It worked for the Chinese.

image.png.598b2aa53c185a3a7a13b18eef5b29c5.png

And yeah I read about the shooter and I think it’s obvious why he picked El Paso 600 miles from where he lived.

It kept out immigrants? You sure about that?

See it’s these kind of discussions here that I prefer to ignore because this has absolutely nothing to do with the violence that occurred and they have not even finished picking up the bodies yet and people are already politicizing it and all the people running for President next year are already trying to use it to their advantage somehow even if it’s just a Congressman talking about it on the news in front of all the cameras because they always have to be the center of attention.

5 hours ago, rabas said:

Actually it's not safe to assume anything. Internet images can be horribly misleading and are widely used for that express purpose.

A better but still shaky assumption, no one shot back in all that time, thus that Wallmart was not frequented by gun toting types.

"...Wallmart was not frequented by gun toting types."

Riiight....  I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you don't know much about Walmarts in the southern US.

To those who have suggested that this Walmart was not representative because it was, maybe, frequented by Mexican and Mexican Americans who don't carry guns:  Are you suggesting that more Hispanics should carry guns to defend themselves against homicidal white nationalists?

The demographics of Walmart's customers of course reflects their local communities. However, it's fair to generalize that Walmart's core customer base is more lower income than higher, of any all backgrounds.

Oh almost everyone in the states shops at Walmart these days from all walks of life. In the states Walmart is like Lotus it’s the biggest store around it’s a little cheaper and they have just about anything you could possibly want or need. It’s like one big giant mall but not as flashy I guess. All types of people shop there rich and poor. Walmart is more about convenience than class.

1 minute ago, Mel52 said:

Oh almost everyone in the states shops at Walmart these days from all walks of life. In the states Walmart is like Lotus it’s the biggest store around it’s a little cheaper and they have just about anything you could possibly want or need. It’s like one big giant mall but not as flashy I guess. All types of people shop there rich and poor.

Yes I understand especially in smaller towns where they have forced the closure of many local stores. But sorry, I stand by my assertion that their brand identity is lower income. Nothing wrong with that. There are always many more poorer people than rich. 

I can’t stand the political discussions after these things happen either but that includes all politics after these things happen. How about we all forget about politics and just do the right thing for once. I don’t know if anyone has all the answers. I also can’t stand everyone gloating about who’s from the most violent country in the world either.

What’s the “right thing”?

There are Afghanis on here gloating?

Yes I understand especially in smaller towns where they have forced the closure of many local stores. But sorry, I stand by my assertion that their brand identity is lower income. Nothing wrong with that. There are always many more poorer people than rich. 

You sound like my mother she hates Walmart because of that exact reason but yet she still shops there. It’s business it’s just the way the free world is. If you prefer the smaller mom and pop shops then shop there but don’t blame Walmart because we all choose to shop there which is why they put everyone else out of business. Regardless again this has absolutely nothing to do with the violence that occurred Saturday. Yes news flash Walmart is in business to make money but guess what so is everyone else this has nothing to do with someone shooting a hell of a lot of people regardless of where it happens.

What’s the “right thing”?

There are Afghanis on here gloating?

People really you see what I mean it’s BS replies like this it’s like oh God here we go again. Read the post I’m replying to and DO NOT be like this guy.

Just pray for all the victims for now and once they get all the facts AND FINISH PICKING UP BODIES BY THE WAY then we can debate all day long about how fcked up America is and what a terrible country America is because I know people like this person are just dying to say that and even laugh about it.

13 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

You sound like my mother she hates Walmart because of that exact reason but yet she still shops there. It’s business it’s just the way the free world is. If you prefer the smaller mom and pop shops then shop there but don’t blame Walmart because we all choose to shop there which is why they put everyone else out of business. Regardless again this has absolutely nothing to do with the violence that occurred Saturday. Yes news flash Walmart is in business to make money but guess what so is everyone else this has nothing to do with someone shooting a hell of a lot of people regardless of where it happens.

Well, that's your mother's problem. It's clearly not Jingthing's. 

All he is saying is that the poorer people are, the less disposable income they have. The less disposable income they have, the more likely they are, on average, to look for lower cost venues to do shopping. Hispanic Americans tend to have a lower income than white Americans. So they will be more likely to shop where their dollar goes furthest. One of those places is Walmart.

Well, that's your mother's problem. It's clearly not Jingthing's. 
All he is saying is that the poorer people are, the less disposable income they have. The less disposable income they have, the more likely they are, on average, to look for lower cost venues to do shopping. Hispanic Americans tend to have a lower income than white Americans. So they will be more likely to shop where their dollar goes furthest. One of those places is Walmart.

Well that’s not been my experience shopping at Walmart but regardless what’s the point it has absolutely nothing to do with the mass shooting it was just a very crowded place he picked with the most targets of opportunity at that time on the weekend especially. This shooter seemed to be looking for the biggest Hispanic area around which in Texas is definitely El Paso because it’s a huge border town. Just like the Ohio shooter picked nightclubs that were crowded on a Saturday night duh. But I still haven’t heard about the Ohio shooters potential motivation.

It didn't work for the Chinese. 

Read some history and find out why it didn't work. 

(I don't often cringe in embarrassment on behalf of Illiberals, but I did when I read this offering).

I think that was the point yeah, but again not relevant.

33 minutes ago, heybruce said:

"...Wallmart was not frequented by gun toting types."

Riiight....  I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you don't know much about Walmarts in the southern US.

To those who have suggested that this Walmart was not representative because it was, maybe, frequented by Mexican and Mexican Americans who don't carry guns:  Are you suggesting that more Hispanics should carry guns to defend themselves against homicidal white nationalists?

"I'm going to go out on a limb here..."

I see you brought your own saw.....

With no reference to race, peoples, countries, or nationalists I used pure logic to suggest if no one fired back in all that time it may have been because the people didn't have guns.  The rest is your own making.

"I'm going to go out on a limb here..."

I see you brought your own saw.....

With no reference to race, peoples, countries, or nationalists I used pure logic to suggest if no one fired back in all that time it may have been because the people didn't have guns.  The rest is your own making.

Yes or because in reality in that situation most average people would not know what to do even if they did have a gun. I still wish someone would have stopped him sooner though.

It didn't work for the Chinese. 

Read some history and find out why it didn't work. 

(I don't often cringe in embarrassment on behalf of Illiberals, but I did when I read this offering).

Yes, we all know walls don’t work, people just go around them.

Locking your doors and windows doesn’t work either, people just break in.

I totally understand wanting to understand why someone would want to do this though. The why is very important to do what we can to stop it from happening again if possible but I don’t care about the politics and I definitely do not give a damn about the shooters political motives as far as I’m concerned he was just a terrible person who did a terrible thing. But I understand that he wasn’t born that way either so understanding the why is very important and I’m sure the criminologists and psychiatrists will be dissecting this for many years to come as they should be doing because the why is important.

Archived