'Many killed' in shooting at Walmart in El Paso; suspect in custody

rooster59

4 hours ago, Uptooyoo said:

He could have done the same without a "military style" rifle. Any semi-automatic handgun or pump shotgun could have done the same. Or would a truck plowing down a densely-packed promenade make you feel better? Or a pressure cooker bomb? The dream of banning guns in America will be met with the same success as the attempts to ban drugs and illegal aliens.  The only way to actually rid all three, and not simply pass more unenforced laws, would be to give up our freedoms and embrace fascism. Do we really want to go there?  Without due process, doors will have to be kicked-in and people dragged away. How many more prisons can we build? The task would be so large the marines would have to be called in to apply their Fallujah-style tactics of house to house combat on otherwise law abiding citizens. And in the end, criminals will have their guns and the cartels will just have another product to sell on the black market. The real issue is understanding what has changed in our society that is creating more and more sick minds.

Simply regurgitating NRA talking points that help your side rationalise what is  obvious to everyone else. The only person you are fooling is yourself.

The governor of Texas , when asked as to what should be done ,fell back in to NRA talking point and talked about mental health issues. In an other words do nothing so you all can have your toys and overcompensate for your shortcomings.

The truth of the matter is that all countries have a similar percentage of people with mental issues, what they don't have is all the guns, and all these massacres  

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Of course. There are maniacs all over the world. I am simply saying in the age of white (supremacist) glorification in America, quite the opposite is the case, in many instances. White men are anything but innocent of grave crimes, racism, hatred, murder, mass murder, genocide, rape, robbery, enslavement, and many other crimes. And they are portrayed as being far less dangerous and culpable than they truly are. Just look at European and American history. Look at the sheer number of genocidal rampages that have been committed by white men, throughout the course of history. We do not deserve the (self) elevated position we occupy. As Pelosi said very accurately, make America great again, simply means make America white again. God forbid. If America needs anything, it is more color, and not less color. Color is at least part of what made America great. Now? That greatness is highly suspect in my opinion. 

Advocating for 'less whiteness' in America smacks of racism. So, you would give preference to people based on skin color rather than the content of their character? Are you for race-based immigration over merit based? Are you carrying so much white-guilt and self-hatred that you'd support a political party that would 'de-elevate' a person's position in life solely because they are white---guilty for lacking skin pigment, and thus, undeserving, even though they put in the hard work, got the degree, and became successful?

I suppose all of the credit for the great inventions of the last century were undeserving too, You probably think the moon landings were faked too, just a ruse to make the white guys look great, so therefore, "is highly suspect." If what you are advocating for comes to pass, you ain't seen nothing yet.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Why?  If an armed Texas cowboy had been in that Walmart and shot that nut you would have no innocents dead.  

There were thousands of customers. Do you really think that none of them were armed? In Texas? 

So now we have Ohio to go with Texas. Two mass shootings in a matter of hours. Nothing will change because that would have to come from the top and in this case that is the moron Trump.  It is a combination of the power of the gun lobby and the will of the people.  The nut jobs win hands down.

Unfortunately America you have made your bed and now you have to lie in it.

It's getting to the point where the lack of a mass shooting in America every day is remarkable because it didn't happen. A friend of mine from Portland told me to look at the Chicago Tribune on any given Monday. I think the highest total of shootings for a weekend I've seen is 46 separate incidents and that's just those reported to the police in one city.

So what is it? is there a common denominator? Mental health issues? Drugs? Drunkenness? Gangs? What makes people decide to pick up a gun and start loosing off at people they probably don't know? Why are there so many of these people in America? Is it a fad? A fashion? Brinkmanship?

I am genuinely puzzled.

39 minutes ago, Traubert said:

So what is it? is there a common denominator? Mental health issues?

On the plus side, two-thirds ( ~ 26,000 out of 39,000) of all gun deaths in the U.S. are suicides. So the herd is slowly being self-thinned.

Waiting periods, background checks, bans on bump-stocks, large magazines, high taxes on ammo, wrongful death lawsuits are all favored by a majority of Americans.

Waiting three days to git yer gun hardly seems prohibitive? I mean unless you're joining a "well-regulated militia" tomorrow. And while you're waiting I say go for the muzzle-loading musket. Tough to kill yourself with Brown Bess, or sneak it into a movie theater.

House Passes Sweeping Gun Bill

The House passed what advocates call the most significant gun control measure in more than two decades on Wednesday when it approved the first of two bills aimed at broadening the federal background check system for firearms purchases.

The vote on the first bill, dubbed the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019, passed largely along party lines 240 to 190 with Democrats who control the House cheering as they carried the legislation across the finish line.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/27/698512397/house-passes-most-significant-gun-bill-in-2-decades

1 hour ago, chokrai said:

You make no sense at all, like most liberals. 

Are you talking to the voices in your head? if so please use your inside voice. people can hear you, and we are concerned:tongue:

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

On the plus side, two-thirds ( ~ 26,000 out of 39,000) of all gun deaths in the U.S. are suicides. So the herd is slowly being self-thinned.

Waiting periods, background checks, bans on bump-stocks, large magazines, high taxes on ammo, wrongful death lawsuits are all favored by a majority of Americans.

Waiting three days to git yer gun hardly seems prohibitive? I mean unless you're joining a "well-regulated militia". And while you're waiting I say go for the muzzle-loading musket. Tough to kill yourself with Brown Bess, or sneak it into a movie theater.

House Passes Sweeping Gun Bill

The House passed what advocates call the most significant gun control measure in more than two decades on Wednesday when it approved the first of two bills aimed at broadening the federal background check system for firearms purchases.

The vote on the first bill, dubbed the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019, passed largely along party lines 240 to 190 with Democrats who control the House cheering as they carried the legislation across the finish line.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/27/698512397/house-passes-most-significant-gun-bill-in-2-decades

From your link...

In the unlikely event the Senate approves the measure, the White House has already signaled the President would veto the bill, should it reach his desk.

3 minutes ago, simple1 said:

From your link...

In the unlikely event the Senate approves the measure, the White House has already signaled the President would veto the bill, should it reach his desk.

Yes, of course, not that Moscow Mitch would allow a vote.

My point, somewhat indirectly, was that the House has been drafting/passing legislation like crazy - AKA: doing one of their many jobs - including this bill back in February.

36 minutes ago, Traubert said:

So what is it? is there a common denominator? Mental health issues?

Certainly a mental health issue.

The mental issues of those who need guns to overcompensate for their inadequacies, their selfishness,  and diminished mental capacity that prevents them of seeing the obvious.

6 hours ago, Uptooyoo said:

to give up our freedoms and embrace fascism

The US is sick. Today again 9 people dead, in Ohio. And the only thing you can do is to come up with arguments why a gun ban would not work.

3 hours ago, usviphotography said:

You asked for an example, I gave you one. Expand a your horizon a bit and read a little and you will find hundreds of other prominent examples. You might then start to realize why it is Donald Trump was elected in the first place. 

Please enlighten us 'old ignorants' with some of your prominent examples.

4 hours ago, usviphotography said:

A random mass shooting has almost no impact on the overall murder or crime rate in the US. And has been noted, US gun policy has been pretty much constant for centuries so the increase in mass shootings can not be blamed on any change in gun policy. So it really isn't that "interesting" at all. Germany's leader made a specific change in policy that resulted in a marked increase in crime. No policy change is associated with the increase in mass shootings, and while mass shootings are certainly regrettable, they don't have much impact on America's overall crime or murder rate. 

And the boiling frog post of the day award goes to...

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

It's getting to the point where the lack of a mass shooting in America every day is remarkable because it didn't happen. A friend of mine from Portland told me to look at the Chicago Tribune on any given Monday. I think the highest total of shootings for a weekend I've seen is 46 separate incidents and that's just those reported to the police in one city.

So what is it? is there a common denominator? Mental health issues? Drugs? Drunkenness? Gangs? What makes people decide to pick up a gun and start loosing off at people they probably don't know? Why are there so many of these people in America? Is it a fad? A fashion? Brinkmanship?

I am genuinely puzzled.

The US has it all, which is why guns should be banned until its sorted.

Some more off topic posts and replies have been removed.

A profane post which circumvented the profanity filter has been removed:

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

26 minutes ago, Sujo said:

The US has it all, which is why guns should be banned until its sorted.

To alter an infamous quote --

I propose a total and complete shutdown of GUNS in the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on!

46 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

Incapable of change the USA! All part of “making America great again” failed state

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's not yet a failed state but it is a failed democracy. There has been majority support for common sense gun control measures for a long time now, and no action taken at all, even after Sandy Hook. If Sandy Hook didn't turn this, nothing will. EVER. 

It was either in this forum, or in one of the few others that I often go to, that I have recently written that especially in the West, white-supremacist (or a very similar type) terror is on the rise and surpassing even Islamist terror, at least in terms of frequency.

Are the authorities doing enough to combat this type of terror ? I would say a definite 'no'. Feel free to disagree with me.

1 hour ago, dimitriv said:

The US is sick. Today again 9 people dead, in Ohio. And the only thing you can do is to come up with arguments why a gun ban would not work.

When I grew up 50 years ago guns were much easier to buy than today. My mom ordered my first high calibre rifle from a Sears&Roebuck catalogue when I was 10. The Sears lady smiled at us when we picked it  up.  In rural areas ammunition was sold on grocery store shelves next to matches and lighter fluid.  I could buy my own. And no one ever went around mass shooting completely innocent people for no reason. The very idea was incomprehensible.  Now it's daily. Something is deeply wrong beyond gun sales. But no one wants to look at uncomfortable truths.

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

But no one wants to look at uncomfortable truths.

The uncomfortable truth is you have a nation with a rising mental issues problem with ridiculously easy access to guns and no one seems to have the cajones to do something about it.

1 hour ago, JemJem said:

It was either in this forum, or in one of the few others that I often go to, that I have recently written that especially in the West, white-supremacist (or a very similar type) terror is on the rise and surpassing even Islamist terror, at least in terms of frequency.

Are the authorities doing enough to combat this type of terror ? I would say a definite 'no'. Feel free to disagree with me.

- One right-wing terrorist attack was reported in 2018 in the EU

- Escalation of extreme right-wing sentiments across Europe resulted in increase of arrests

The right-wing extremism scene varies significantly between and within EU Member States ((12 in 2016, 20 in 2017, 44 in 2018).
The number of arrests for left-wing terrorist offences remained on the same level ( 36 in 2017), similar to the arrests for separatist terrorist offences (30 in 2017)

Similar to 2017, arrests for jihadist terrorism represented the largest proportion of the total arrests for terrorismrelated offences in the EU (705 out of 1219 in 2017);

I invite you to open and read the "right-wing terrorism" section of this report - from page 60 and+ in the link below

pdfENTerrorism Situation and Trend Report 2019 (TE-SAT)

Archived