'Many killed' in shooting at Walmart in El Paso; suspect in custody

rooster59

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Which is more above divided by American population or 803 divided the German population?

Germany has 25% of the population of the USA and "only" 803 deaths. Easy mathematics. Also the 13,000 deaths are only them they are shoot. How many are stabbed, beaten to death and so on? They are additional. 

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Which is more above divided by American population or 803 divided the German population?

Mate, I'm usually in your corner on here, I think you have a lot of sense and experience, and not a little courage in your own convictions, which is laudable.

But trying to form an intercontinental champions league table on murders is somewhat slightly sick and this is your fourth attempt.

There's no good murders anywhere at any time so it might be wise to desist. There's no points to be scored here.

Walmat used to sell guns and ammo.  I guess this one didn't.  I'm wondering if America should arm up like the Philippines? Good job for retired Army.  I don't see how a ban would ever work because they can't control gangs because of supposed ethnicity issues and to many unregistered guns in circulation.  So put the guards in.  Every mall and every large retail store and every school.  Shoot first and ask questions later.  If the Philippines why not America?

1 minute ago, Traubert said:

Mate, I'm usually in your corner on here, I think you have a lot of sense and experience, and not a little courage in your own convictions, which is laudable.

But trying to form an intercontinental champions league table on murders is somewhat slightly sick and this is your fourth attempt.

There's no good murders anywhere at any time so it might be wise to desist. There's no points to be scored here.

I never said there were any good murders better check cause that's not a nice thing to say.  Maybe you are confusing me with someone else.  I have 3 guns in my home in America all unregistered because I made them (6 shooters).  I also make the ammo.  So no one is going to ever stop me or register my weapons.  

55 minutes ago, rabas said:

When I grew up 50 years ago guns were much easier to buy than today. My mom ordered my first high calibre rifle from a Sears&Roebuck catalogue when I was 10. The Sears lady smiled at us when we picked it  up.  In rural areas ammunition was sold on grocery store shelves next to matches and lighter fluid.  I could buy my own. And no one ever went around mass shooting completely innocent people for no reason. The very idea was incomprehensible.  Now it's daily. Something is deeply wrong beyond gun sales. But no one wants to look at uncomfortable truths.

What are the uncomfortable truths?  I for one think those whatever they are should be discussed.

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Walmat used to sell guns and ammo.  I guess this one didn't.  I'm wondering if America should arm up like the Philippines? Good job for retired Army.  I don't see how a ban would ever work because they can't control gangs because of supposed ethnicity issues and to many unregistered guns in circulation.  So put the guards in.  Every mall and every large retail store and every school.  Shoot first and ask questions later.  If the Philippines why not America?

Crime rates have fallen since the early 1990s

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/01/03/5-facts-about-crime-in-the-u-s/

The mayor of El Paso is on TV and he's is from another planet.  He is saying the shooter is from outside of El Paso and no one from El Paso would ever do something like that.  The Presidential candidate from says it is the Presidents fault.  When the Mayor asked what his city needs he said Prayers.  As long as the country is run by xenophobic religious nuts there will be no effective management of problems like this.  

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you think Americans should vote on gun control?

No they shouldn't - the government should step in and take responsibility. (Take Brexit as an example of what happens when you hand over important decisions to the masses)

No guns - no mass shootings - simple. 

There is no good reason whatsoever to domestically own a gun.

2 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

No they shouldn't - the government should step in and take responsibility. (Take Brexit as an example of what happens when you hand over important decisions to the masses)

There are 250,000,000 guns in America obviously Americans don't agree with you except the liberal media.  Do you believe in Democracy?  Let America vote on it.  UK lets people vote on issues that could be terribly damaging to the country why not America?

41 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Yes, because that's a country the US should really strive to emulate. 

I mean, seriously??? 

Edited to add that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm feeding a troll. 

7 minutes ago, Becker said:

Yes, because that's a country the US should really strive to emulate. 

I mean, seriously??? 

Edited to add that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm feeding a troll. 

In terms of how to solve the mass murder problem Obama didn't solve it.  So why not give the PI a chance.  

36 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If Obama (the greatest President since Lincoln) couldn't solve the gun problem(he had 8 years) it's time to try something else.

"Two alternative scenarios can minimize the gun-related homicide rate: a ban of private firearms possession, or a policy allowing the general population to carry guns. The important parameters include the fraction of offenders that illegally possess a gun, the degree of protection provided by gun ownership, and the fraction of the population who take up their right to own a gun and carry it when attacked"

how do different gun control strategies affect the rate at which people become killed by attackers, and how can this rate be minimized?

good luck

46 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Your first sentence is an excellent reason to own a gun. I think in the States it is called the second amendment. 

Making it more difficult to get prescriptions for opiates has drastically reduced the number of opiate related deaths in the US, so it would naturally follow that making it more difficult to obtain a firearm would greatly reduce the number of murders in the US.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

"What are the uncomfortable truths?  I for one think those whatever they are should be discussed.

Marcus I love your posts and the links you give (does get a little bit boring though) I prefer intelligence more than links to Wikipedia...which I am sceptical off in principle.

Suggest you Google South Park ' a brief history of the USA' and the reason for the gun culture in the USA. They do a really good job of explaining the history of guns in the US. Basically you are all scared of everything and have been for hundreds of years, the only way you now how to react is to shoot guns. I understand Canada has a similar amount of gun ownership but none of the problems of the USA.

Just now, rabas said:

The rest of the story, from the same website, overall homicide rate is well down from historical highs.

image.png.763d75e4e2fbc3d54ef18b4ce134e046.png

Yes you're right, but this thread about a SHOOTING, so I guess firearm was used.

Maybe you could also post the traffic deaths, as that would be as off topic as quoting homicide rates in this thread

10 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

But if murders are down by 50% for their high in the early 90s  and the percentage of those murders by guns has risen just a tad from that era, that means that the total number of homicides by guns is still way down from where it was. 

It should also be noted that the murder rate began to decline again in 2017 and most likely in 2018, too.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

If Obama (the greatest President since Lincoln) couldn't solve the gun problem(he had 8 years) it's time to try something else.

Obama was almost as poor a President as Lincoln, but at least he did not declare war without Congressional approval, close down newspapers and lock people up without trial like Lincoln did. Lincoln was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands all in the pursuit of preserving his precious Union.

Archived