Do any of these Thai Immigration Bureau Andriod apps actually work? Section38 | eTM6 | Immigration eServices

1 minute ago, JayBird said:

Has anyone checked if there are any security concerns with these apps (unintentional or otherwise)

In what sense?

That Immigration databases could be exposed or hacked? (Yes)

That someone can find you? (Yes)

That your device is vulnerable? (Possibly)

There have been a few threads on this subject recently, with App Permissions being one of the issues some find concerning.

There are probably risks/concerns with using any app, or having any sort of digital footprint.

20 hours ago, Salerno said:

Hardly surprising given 6 was released four years ago.

Sorry but some of us dont feel the need to upgrade new phones every year.....Must be nice to be a fat cat...

Edited by fforest1

7 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Sorry but some of us dont feel the need to upgrade new phones every year.....Must be nice to be a fat cat...

4,000-5,000 is hardly a 'fat cat', I usually upgrade every 1-2 years.

Another thread talks about the importance of 'appearance' in Thailand, and most Thais judge you by your phone, gold, shoes, scooter.

Edited by BritManToo

16 hours ago, Pib said:

US google acct

image.png.7085a7b03c09f6f6f35c4d664525f3ef.png

Thailand google acct

image.png.03c29f332a8ac2af6021501a13e3a48b.png

Considering this app is for people who mostly came from abroad the geo-restrictions is crazy, I have one main account for my phone and all my apps are linked thru that, I don't want it linked to another email account.

Thank you very much for the investigation, it least it gives people a work around, if they so desire.

• Like 1

Immigration eServices
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.go.immigration.immeService

This app has access to:
    approximate location (network-based)
    precise location (GPS and network-based)

Photos / Media / Files

read the contents of your USB storage
    modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Storage

Camera

take pictures and videos

Other

view network connections
    full network access

Section38
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.go.immigration.section38

This app has access to:

Photos/Media/Files

Storage

Camera

take pictures and videos

Other

receive data from Internet
    view network connections
    full network access
    control vibration
    prevent device from sleeping

eTM6
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.go.immigration.etm6

This app has access to:
Photos / Media / Files

Storage

Camera

take pictures and videos

Other

view network connections
    full network access

21 hours ago, Salerno said:

Because in software development there has to be a cut-off point for what platforms you decide to support.

Only if you want to exploit the latest features. Normally you would do a trade off between the size of your target audience and the 'gee wizz' features you want to exploit.  Many Android apps still run on my original Galaxy Tab long since donated to a Thai relative.

17 hours ago, Pib said:

OP,

Unless your google account is a "Thailand" acct that may be (probably is) the reason your are seeing the Section 38 app is incompatible with your device.   It's probably a "geo-restriction" compatibility issue and not really a device hardware/firmware compatibility issue.

I did below cut and pastes from my laptop using Chrome while logged in with one of my US google accts and then from my Thailand google acct.  Notice it says incompatible when logged in from my US google acct and compatible when logged in from my Thailand google acct.

So, if that's your problem...that is, you only have google acct(s) originally created in a country other than Thailand (like maybe the US/UK/AU) then you just need to create another google acct using your Thailand IP address and then add that new acct to your phone.  You can keep ever how many accts you already have setup in your phone (heck, I have 5)....but by adding a Thailand registered acct you'll now also be able to see/install/auto update any apps that are geo-restricted to Thailand....and continue to be able to see/install/auto update apps allowed in whatever country(ies) your other google acct(s) allow.   

US google acct

image.png.7085a7b03c09f6f6f35c4d664525f3ef.png

Thailand google acct

image.png.03c29f332a8ac2af6021501a13e3a48b.png

I really love software devs that write software the user has to debug for them ????

I am using Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 9 and the Sect 38 app is not compatible this phone this is not an old phone or an old version of android.  I have loaded both the other apps ok and registered for 90 day reporting via the app. The one I really want is the Sect 38 app and this is the one that does load.  The normal approach with software development is 80/20 i.e develop for the most common 80% of devices and versions of software.  

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

And that's developer's problem how? BTW, fat cats are cool

Cat-chilling-mall-1.jpg

4 hours ago, mngmn said:

Normally you would do a trade off between the size of your target audience and the 'gee wizz' features you want to exploit.

As per:

32 minutes ago, barryw52 said:

The normal approach with software development is 80/20 i.e develop for the most common 80% of devices and versions of software.  

Android 6+ is near enough to that 80% of users so I wouldn't expect developers of an app to waste too much time on compatibility with anything lower.

That said, guessing people would be using more colourful language than "gee wizz" when trying to get any Thai tech to work 555

Edited by Salerno
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barryw52 said:

I am using Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 9 and the Sect 38 app is not compatible this phone

This sounds like a geo-loc issue.

Soultions include:

1.) creating a secondary Google account in Thailand, after which, you can find, download, install the app in the Play Store

2.) sideloading the apk

APKPure now has the current version, 1.0.19: https://apkpure.com/section38/th.go.immigration.section38/versions

12 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I have not yet heard about one member having managed to do a 90 days report using the app... 

Probably because not a lot of people have heard of the app, and not everyone does a 90-day report, and few people probably know about this forum?

In my case the app came out after my most recent 90-day report. I did install it, and can "see" all my previous ~ 11 90-day reports done on-line. I can see the application, next appt and download those PDFs. I see no reason why it wouldn't work for my next report.

I have a Google Pixel XL with the latest OS. The Section 38 app is incompatible with my device per the play store, but the other 2 apps installed OK. Not sure why the one app would be incompatible with a Google flagship phone.

9 hours ago, tjinks said:

I have a Google Pixel XL with the latest OS. The Section 38 app is incompatible with my device per the play store, but the other 2 apps installed OK. Not sure why the one app would be incompatible with a Google flagship phone.

See post #43.

12 hours ago, tjinks said:

Is your google acct a Thailand registered acct?  If not, that's probably the reason.   The incompatible message is probably due to the geo-restriction.....need a Thailand registered Google Play acct.

2 hours ago, PaulHamon said:

Why one earth is geo-restricted?? I'm assuming they don't even know why set it to Thailand only and think it's working just fine.

Lots of geo-restricted apps on Google Play....only meant for download/install if your google acct was registered in a certain country.

18 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Probably because not a lot of people have heard of the app, and not everyone does a 90-day report, and few people probably know about this forum?

In my case the app came out after my most recent 90-day report. I did install it, and can "see" all my previous ~ 11 90-day reports done on-line. I can see the application, next appt and download those PDFs. I see no reason why it wouldn't work for my next report.

Only if you consider that 300,000 (TVF members) is not a lot of people... 

I have also installed the app, with android 8, and managed to get a password confirmation. 

I didn't see that it was possible to consult my previous reports... can you elaborate on that? 

Edited by Brunolem

3 hours ago, PaulHamon said:

Why one earth is geo-restricted?? I'm assuming they don't even know why set it to Thailand only and think it's working just fine.

That's a question best suited for the developer/publisher, I think? Their other two apps (eTM6, TM47) appear to globally available.

I assume the Apple App store, or whatever it is called, has similar geo-loc "issues", as does the iOS version of the Sec38 app?

My best guess would be that most reporting is done by Thais.

That said, the two workarounds offered (secondary account, sideloading) would seem to address most on Android 6.0 or higher?

26 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I didn't see that it was possible to consult my previous reports... can you elaborate on that? 

Launch the ImmeServices app

Close the Status pop-up window (Status Overtay: Normal)

Click on Notification

Click on Check the Status

Choose the "PASS" button (for passport)

Enter the details, DoB year can be scrolled by clciking on 2019, find your birth year, scroll forward/back to find your birth date

Search Application

There should be a listing of all your online reports. You can drill down on any one, and download the application form (approved) and/or NExt Appointment Date PDFs.

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Launch the ImmeServices app

Close the Status pop-up window (Status Overtay: Normal)

Click on Notification

Click on Check the Status

Choose the "PASS" button (for passport)

Enter the details, DoB year can be scrolled by clciking on 2019, find your birth year, scroll forward/back to find your birth date

Search Application

There should be a listing of all your online reports. You can drill down on any one, and download the application form (approved) and/or NExt Appointment Date PDFs.

Thanks, but if it is only the online reports, I will get a blank page, since I was not able to do it last time. 

23 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

That's a question best suited for the developer/publisher, I think? Their other two apps (eTM6, TM47) appear to globally available.

I emailed the published address yesterday with informaiton, I don't expect to get a reply, but maybe someone see it and reads it and does something about it (but, I am not hopeful).

On 8/6/2019 at 11:23 AM, Pib said:

Is your google acct a Thailand registered acct?  If not, that's probably the reason.   The incompatible message is probably due to the geo-restriction.....need a Thailand registered Google Play acct.

Would only need a Thailand registered account if living in Thailand. Cannot live in Thailand without the proper long stay visa. Therefore app not suitable for tourists.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mngmn said:

Would only need a Thailand registered account if living in Thailand. Cannot live in Thailand without the proper long stay visa. Therefore app not suitable for tourists.

Tourists reporting themself as posessor of a condo require it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 3:44 PM, mngmn said:

But I opened my account 15 years ago in Australia and I cannot download

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use ThaiVisa anymore but logged in just to warn everyone about giving your personal information so willy nilly. These apps have red flags all over.

1. There's no mention of these apps anywhere on the immigration website that I can find. In Thai or English. Only ThaiVisa ever talked about these app.
  2. No news article published either.
  3. The developer email given in Google Apps is a GMail account, [email protected] . Not a " @immigration.go.th "
  4. The "Privacy Policy" directs to the immigration privacy policy, which is ok at a stretch, but they does not cover things like access to storage, camera, and location that the apps want.
  5. My local Immigration never heard of these apps.

I'm not saying these could be fake apps fishing for personal info, but… these could be fake apps fishing for personal info.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 11:27 AM, PaulHamon said:

Immigration eServices
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.go.immigration.immeService

This app has access to:

Photos / Media / Files

Storage

Camera

take pictures and videos

Other

view network connections
    full network access

Section38
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.go.immigration.section38

This app has access to:

Photos/Media/Files

Storage

Camera

take pictures and videos

Other

receive data from Internet
    view network connections
    full network access
    control vibration
    prevent device from sleeping

eTM6
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.go.immigration.etm6

This app has access to:
Photos / Media / Files

Storage

Camera

take pictures and videos

Other

view network connections
    full network access

Holy smoke. Isn't that a bit excessive access for the purpose of the apps?

I guess it can all be manually disabled after the reporting is done.

On 8/4/2019 at 2:17 PM, mtls2005 said:

Section38 (TM30) works well for me.

Immigration Services (TM47) works well for me.

I haven't tried the TM6 app.

How long after submitting the 90 days report do you generally get the report back?

Also, toward the end of the reporting process the app is asking for a GPS-location and permission for location, pictures and audio files. It is possible to submit the report without any of this, but will it be approved?