Phuket’s critical tourism issues to get ministerial hearing this month

webfact

Phuket’s critical tourism issues to get ministerial hearing this month

By The Phuket News

1564987154_1-org.jpg

Tourism & Sports Minister Phipat Ratchakitprakarn has a selfie taken with a tourist on Bangla Rd, Patong, on Saturday night (Aug 3). Photo: MoTS

PHUKET: After less than 48 hours on the island, new Tourism & Sports Minister Phipat Ratchakitprakarn has announced that a major meeting to be attended by several ministers will be held in Phuket on Aug 25 to address a slew of tourism issues, including taxi fares, tourist safety, water shortages and clean beaches, and the prospect of allowing bars and other entertainment venues in Patong to stay open until 4am.

Minister Phipat revealed the move following a meeting with key tourism figures and top local government officials, including the Governor of Phuket and the Governor of Phang Nga, at the Royal Phuket City Hotel yesterday (Aug 4).

The meeting on Aug 25 will be held at in Beyond Resort Kata, Mr Phipat said.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-critical-tourism-issues-to-get-ministerial-hearing-this-month-72396.php#PphFHi4JV6wytZcW.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-08-05
  • Haha 1

“The value of the Thai baht has impacted Phuket tourism. It has made the cost for tourists visiting here much higher. Ten years ago tourists spent about B4,509 per person per day. Now they need to spend about B7,800,” he said.

The amiunt spent in THB has nothing to do with the value of the currency. Converting those figures to GBP, for example means that 10 years ago they spent about £75 per day. Now they need to spend over £200! That's a massive increase in ten years.
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, mok199 said:

And all along Thai tourism thought tourists wanted more malls....Should have been protecting those beaches Khun Ratchakidpakderm....Its always been about the beaches ,everyone but TAT knew that....

Problem is you cant make money from sand so they are not interested, no thought that sand is why the tourists come.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

TM 30 is on the agenda so I've been told

TM 30 rarely affects tourists. It's only if they want to extend their stay and they're not at a hotel that registered them that they might run into problems. They can go from province to province with their only worry being whether their bus will make it in one piece!

PS I am currently in another province and haven't registered a TM30. Please don't tell!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To address a slew of tourism issues, including taxi fares, tourist safety, water shortages and clean beaches, and the prospect of allowing bars and other entertainment venues in Patong to stay open until 4am.

Or in other words what tourists come on holiday for or not in this case????

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

TM 30 rarely affects tourists. It's only if they want to extend their stay and they're not at a hotel that registered them that they might run into problems. They can go from province to province with their only worry being whether their bus will make it in one piece!

PS I am currently in another province and haven't registered a TM30. Please don't tell!

Mai son jai  

18 hours ago, ChipButty said:

TM 30 is on the agenda so I've been told

Yep why should i travel to Phuket, be abused at midnight by gangs of ladyboys only to have to annoy my landlord who lives 60 km away to report me  back in my house that i have lived in for 3 years

• Like 1

address a slew of tourism issues, including taxi fares, tourist safety, water shortages and clean beaches, and the prospect of allowing bars and other entertainment venues in Patong to stay open until 4am.

Or turn the clock back twenty years.

Declaration number one. Let's do more advertising in China. Number two. Lets promote tourism more in India. Meeting over. Things are really going to improve now! 

Whatever we do, let us not look within for the source of the problem. That is bad. 

• Like 1

The major problem is "stability". Constantly there are new rules and measures to improve the tourism economy, but after a while it's not followed up, back to before – or even worse – and other new rules and measures apply.

And TM30 is not one of them, as tourists are mainly staying in hotels or resorts, and have (normally) always had their passport registered upon check-in.

Tourism need piece and stability. People want to spend their vacation at peaceful places, and know what they can expect. Nobody wish surprises to spoil the holiday. And it's all way down to smaller things like trusting taxi fares, i.e. driving on meter; availability of sun beds, and something to drink and eat at tourists beaches that are organized, might be divided into areas with jet-skis and like, and other areas without jet-ski and countless numbers of chairs and umbrellas; opening hours in nightlife, for those coming for that – one year it's for example very late, next year government decide to close everything at 1 am – lots of small issues that leads to non returning customers, and bad reputation. And bad reputation make many people stay away, and seek other destinations that are ready to welcome them.

Sensible rules, and then follow up, and keep them.

On top is the currency exchange rate, which is not at all in favor of tourism, especially since the increase of interest from 1.50% to 1.75% back in December. Over a few years the inland spending for many Western tourists have gone up by 25 percent, even little more for the Brits, just because of currency fluktuations. One Euro is still worth one Euro, if for example spending the holiday in the European Mediterranean area, or the Canary Islands, instead. The present Chinese currency manipulation caused by "trade war" might also not improve tourist flow from that part of the World.

• Like 1