Have you ever been physically attacked?

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I read a study about Brits going out in their own country.

I don't remember the exact numbers but it was something like this:

Maybe 30% wanted to get totally drunk. A little drunk was not good enough.

And about 20% expected the night would include a fight. It seems that was (or is?) part of their "culture".

I would describe it as more like a subculture. I have a friend who grew up near Halifax. He says just walking to school, he would expect to get attacked by other kids. Like a sport. He grew up to be a good fighter, as he was always fighting off these punks. But, I think the majority of Brits are pretty civilized. It is a smaller subculture. Guys from Birmingham, Leicester, Manchester, Sheffield, and areas of London like Hackney, Croydon, Newham, and Westminster are more prone to this kind of thuggery, than many others. 

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I read a study about Brits going out in their own country.

I don't remember the exact numbers but it was something like this:

Maybe 30% wanted to get totally drunk. A little drunk was not good enough.

And about 20% expected the night would include a fight. It seems that was (or is?) part of their "culture".

When I backpacked Europe in the early 1980s, I used to tell everyone I came from Belize, as the drunken English soccer fans had likely trashed their town at some point. No one really knows where Belize is, and people never asked me any questions about my home country.

Yes, the pub culture in the UK has always included fisticuffs ...... one of the many reasons I left.

16 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yes, I was attacked on several occasions by the same person.  That person threw plates at me, physically attacked me twice, and then when I didn't respond, they threw a knife at me.

After that, I decided that divorce was the best option ... ????

Know a guy back home in the west who was physically attacked with a frying pan and a few days later she punched him on the head a few times. Both times in full view of me, the first time another friend was also present. Turns out he cheated on her with a Thai woman!! Not only that but he had a kid with that woman. Even more funny is that he is no longer with that Thai woman, who is a university professor in Thailand. However, he is again with another Thai woman, but back in his home country. Unlikely to have kids with her as he can barely afford the child support for his Thai kid who lives with his mom.

58 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Unlikely to have kids with her as he can barely afford the child support for his Thai kid who lives with his mom.

The odd thing about child support is it's capped at 20% of your income in the UK.

You can have as many kids as you like, they just share out the 20%.

The woman doesn't get more money anyway, your child support just reduces her child tax credit pound for pound.

Edited by BritManToo

Attacked twice. First time, I never even set eyes on the attacker before attacked. The police took the attacker into custody. They wouldn't write a report or jail the person even though I was still bleeding. Let us both go from the police station at the same time.

Second time, I was attacked inside a thai immigration office at the border. A travel agency worker grabbed my arm to pull me out of line so his people could go first. I loudly told him not to touch me. A few minutes later, he attacked me from behind. I went to the police when I got back to Bangkok, and they wrote a report, but told me to go back to the border and report there, even though we were a few blocks from where the attacker worked. Two years on and I still have headaches and beck pain.

Bottom line is that the police dont want to do their job. Thailand is a joke.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, geronimo said:

If I were asked to give 2 bits of advice to a newbie, it would be

1 Respect the royal family

2 NEVER drink whisky with working class Thai guys

Does everyone agree with point 2 though ??

Being Aussie i always hear the same line with Aboriginal people

Edited by georgegeorgia

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Flick knife in the dash compartment, blunt axe in the door pocket here.

But then i always had weapons in my vehicles in the UK.

Re, i answer to another daft topic from the OP, I believe Thailand is far safer today than my home country of England.

But you never had to use it,are you more confident having it,just in case ?

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Never ever been attacked, I just don't get in situations like that. I rather back down if needed then make a situation worse. But the way i look helps people think twice about really attacking me. Im not some frail OAP so that helps. 

Luv to see a pic of you,you must have a NIce bod????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

But you never had to use it,are you more confident having it,just in case ?

There are nutters everywhere in every country.

I like to be able to have the options to defend myself.

In answer to the above - no.

And i get out and about.

3 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I once had some Brit ass punk running after a gal I was chatting with in a disco... I let it go there are too many gals to choose... 

Funny you should say that...i was once reading another forum where the guys said the same thing...they bought a bar girl or ..boy drinks  ...(depends which way your inclined..) and up comes some farang who talks to her at the same time as you and offers to buy her a drink completely oblivious to you ????

Edited by georgegeorgia

5 hours ago, neeray said:

I've been attacked!

Before my first trip to Thailand, I met a gal on TF. We carried on a long distance, digital romance for a year before meeting real. She picked me up at the airport and took me to my accommodation.

Once in the room, suitcase unpacked, she attacked.

No harm done. Just had to spend a day or two in bed to recover.

An attack that I'll never forget. ????

Same thing happend to me. Met a caddie from Hua Hin on TF, and she come down 5 days to visit me on a holiday, first thing she did, punched me over, and did not leave me alone for 5 days. I needed recover after that long time attack. 

Not a single attack in Thailand, but been witness to many local fights and some drunk foreigners getting what they deserved by locals. 

Best story is the well known bar girl chasing her new bf with a broken bottle, and screaming you butterfly. She used to sit on my lap before that and tell me about her numbel one buttelfly to mutt, but numbel two, was good boy. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Haha 1

I have seen a few things here to that made me laugh when I was single a long time ago. Remember seeing one guy chased after down the road with a big 'chop chop' knife in a girl's hand. We were siting in a bar in the afternoon and he came running down the road with his pants on fire and this girl had the biggest chop chop knife I have ever seen. Never did see what happened in the end. Another guy I know to have been knifed by their girlfriend, with the girl doing jail time over the knifing. Once again, she came from the bar and it was over money. 

Me, I never had a problem here but in the Philippines, I got robbed once violently and most likely was the main reason for me deciding Thailand over the Philippines 10 years ago. I really did like the Philippines, but safety did just not match it for me. 

Yes by the Taxi mafia!!

It was around 2.30pm, I parked in a public space along Patong beach road to go into the hotel opposite. I pre-arranged to visit my friend who was waiting in the hotel reception. No sooner than I parked, 2 taxi boys ran up to me, one grabbing my neck while his accomplice stood behind him. He was almost foaming at the mouth with his spit hitting my face then in his bad english, he shouted "Parking taxis only!!!". I looked around but there was no Taxi sign. Due to his screaming at me, people were watching however, no one did nothing to assist. I asked him "Where is the taxi sign?" which he replied "You go now!!"

My friend heard the commotion and asked the hotel receptionist to call the police. He could not believe it when she walked away into the back office without a word. My friend started walking towards me but the taxi boys accomplice walked towards him and held him back. 

It was at this moment a policeman on a bike driving by stopped and asked what was going on? The taxi boy continued to hold my neck even with the policeman standing there. He then told the police that I tried to attack him first and pointed to a dried scab on his arm stating "look, look!!"

The policeman took his arm away from my neck and smirked at the 2 taxi boy. He asked me where I was going? I pointed to the hotel and my friend. The policeman said that I should go now and he will wait by my car till I return then told the 2 taxi boys to go away. 

I entered the hotel. by this time the receptionist had returned. I asked her why she did not call the police? She said "taxi mafia, cannot", that simple!!

This policeman waited 20 minutes in the sun till I returned making sure the taxi boys didn't damage my car. When I returned, I asked the policeman how they can get away with it, why no arrest? He just smiled, stopped the traffic and told me to go. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, curious297 said:

Yes by the Taxi mafia!!

I could have said you should have know better! But some of my first trips to Phuket I did a mistake, but was quick saved by the girl who went with me at that time. 

Going from the Nightclub up in the hills I can not remember the name of, to my hotel just down the road about two minutes drive, and he wanted to charge me 600 baht. I protested, but in the same moment the girl paid and dragged me away. Later I have learned the whole story about the taxi mafia, and glad to be saved by the bell. I doubt he would come at me alone, but you never know. 

My only experience with anything like this was many years ago after hours. I was walking out of a restaurant and a young Thai man spoke to me. I don't know why but somehow I annoyed him and then he punched me in the stomach. Thailand is a rather gentle country so you could guess it was a gentle punch - no pain or no real incident. The only time I have ever had any kind of pysical altercation in my adult life. From all my experience, it is certainly easier to avoid conflict here than in the west.

6 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I've made the terrible mistake to show a new colleague the city, not even thinking about that it was Chinese New Year.

I'd misplaced my key for my bike and went inside the pub to ask the owner if he'd seen my kays.

That was when four guys approached me, said things like <deleted> and worse, looking for a fight.

Within seconds I was kicked down by five guys and I ended up in the hospital. My wife was already there to bring me my spare key and they only stopped because she screamed that I'd be dead already.

They never fight alone, be careful out there. 

My American friend was all in a sudden gone, then told me that they had threatened him with a knife, but there's no knife.

Perhaps he had to change his pampers?

I had to go to the coppers quite a few times and finally received 2,400 baht for my pain, broken ribs, nose, etc. 1,200 were for the helpful cop. 

Good luck weas that I had a metal case for my glasses around my waste that helped me to keep my balls intact. They're trying to kick me into them many times and the metal case was finally flat.

I wouldn't like to have scrambled and very flat eggs, Innit?

Edited by Isaanbiker

I was once attacked by a group of taxi drivers in Samui in a case of mistaken identity. They thought I had thrown a beer bottle at a taxi but I was in 7-11 at the time. I guy ran up behind me and hit me over the head with a large battery stun gun rendering me pretty much unconscious, whereupon a group of them started kicking me while I was on the ground. Luckily a thai lady sitting at a food stall saw what happened and rescued me. I woke up on the road with a lovely gash in my head. Taxi drivers long gone by then. Reported to police but of course nothing happened as no idea who did it. Never been back to Samui since and I never will.

Edited by TTSIssues

I avoid Samui. Phuket and Pattaya like the plague for the very reasons posters have mentioned on this subject.  It appears tourists have  finally got the message and they also are voting with their feet.

Years of allowing the Taxi mafia to exist and gangs to run wild have caused some thai destinations to be no go zones.  Plenty of other places to go without the hassle.

I feel quite safe in Thailand. I've only had one incident. About 15 years ago in a Bangkok taxi with my first wife it became clear we were being driven away from where we wanted to go. The driver who spoke reasonable English when we got into the taxi initially, stopped speaking. It was late evening and he ran two red lights. But he couldn't do a third because of cars stopped in front of him. I grabbed him by the hair and literally reefed him out of his seat and half-way into the back seat. Held him like that and told the wife to get out. Then I got out. Threw some baht through the window and walked quickly away. Found our way back to the hotel via the underground railway.

• Thanks 1