TV presenter ‘Noom’ comes up short in death compensation payment in ‘Praewa’ case

webfact

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Would have been better if the family or the girl gave it to those affected personally, to show their regret and remorse for what happened. Not a media opportunity to save face and family name.

They can't do that, it was court ordered compensation so it has to be paid to the court for disbursement, the family has no choice in the matter.

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Turning a mass killing compensation payout into a media event and still coming up short after 9 years.....disgraceful!

They are not "coming up short after nine years", they are coming up short after less than three months since the court decided the compensation.

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

They are not "coming up short after nine years", they are coming up short after less than three months since the court decided the compensation.

Short IS short!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You hope that the victims' families payments are delayed?  Wow.

No.

If you read the OP and then the guy's reply that you jumped on, he does not mean that.

I think you are a native English speaker, but i think your reading comprehension is not great.

Next time try better and don't be so hasty in judgement.

He was talking about the 800k STILL OUTSTANDING.

The 42 mil has ALREADY BEEN PAID, like just now. Via an actor.

Jeez.

Edited by thaiguzzi

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

If it's a miscalculation, pay the money right now. There's no need to be waiting anywhere near the 28th of August. 

I'm pretty sure that's what the lawyer is for. Did they think by sending a celebrity that the families receiving the money would ignore the 800k+ they're still short on?

Of course they did.  

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

They have no human decency to present the money they have to use others to do their dirty work. Add to the insult after 9 years they cant get the amount payable correct. Karma is nor far away............................

I which you were right, but I don't count on it.

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

If it's a miscalculation, pay the money right now. There's no need to be waiting anywhere near the 28th of August. 

I'm pretty sure that's what the lawyer is for. Did they think by sending a celebrity that the families receiving the money would ignore the 800k+ they're still short on?

Of course they did.  

And am I the only one understanding that 25,781,137 for the families of the deceased and the injured victims, plus interest at 7.5 per annum amounting to Bt16,650,023.40, equals 42,431,160.40 Baht and not Bt42,637,810.40 like they state? So what happens with that extra 205,650 Baht?  To buy paint to refresh the walls?

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Funny how they couldn't find they cash until they were shamed on Facebook a couple of weeks ago.

Now as if by magic, 42 million Baht appears complete with a celebrity to hand it over like someone just won the top prize on "If the Price is Right". 

What a family. 

Do you think that selling land and getting paid for it is something that happens instantly?  They borrowed this money from relatives as a last resort.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

He is not there to "make a big show out of it". He is simply employed to be there. It was not his decision in the same way an actor playing a "baddie" is not actually a baddie. 

I don't fully understand the dynamics at play on this one but I do know it is public pressure and reputational damage control that are driving Praewa's family to finally pay the compensation due. They are not scared of the legal repercussions because people like them are above the law in Thailand. Thus, perhaps, the ostentatious and public presenting of the cheque is related to reputation and portraying the family as good people.

"...but I do know it is public pressure and reputational damage control that are driving Praewa's family to finally pay the compensation due".

Finally?  The court's order was only made in May.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Compensation order was made by the court in May, this year.

Compensation should have been a 10-20 years sentence in jail for the hi-so kid with chopstick legs, when she committed her crime..

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"...but I do know it is public pressure and reputational damage control that are driving Praewa's family to finally pay the compensation due".

Go and troll somewhere else. This is a very sensitive topic for foreigners and Thais. 

Edited by rkidlad
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

And...? Is the check going to bounce?

1 hour ago, Grossman said:

Same exact thing came to my mind. I mean, a check given by an actor to a judge.. After such a marvellous face redemption antic, I wonder if the victims ever even have the opportunity to try to cash it out.

A Manager's Cheque issued by a bank doesn't bounce, it's the same as cash.

3 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Compensation should have been a 10-20 years sentence in jail for the hi-so kid with chopstick legs, when she committed her crime..

Should have been but when you know the rank of her biological Father then all is explained.  Its the morally corrupt Thai principle of "do you know who my Father is" not, do you know I just killed 9 innocent people in a car I drive often illegally with my Mother and Step Fathers knowledge whilst only 16 years of age.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

I smell a rat, as i see 2 cheques for a total af about 67 Million in that picture.

1 hour ago, lensta said:

Agree with you about the amount and also the names on the checks seem to be completely different. Makes ya wonder what is going on here.

B41,755,030.75 + 28,053.03 =  B41,783,083.78, or thereabouts, depending on how well you can decipher the figures from a photo of the cheques.  The smaller cheque is for B28k-odd, not B28m!

Edited by Just Weird

14 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Nine years or one day, short IS short just as weird IS weird!

19 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Go and troll somewhere else. This is a very sensitive topic for foreigners and Thais. 

From the OP (and other media resources)…

"...the Supreme Court on May 8 had ruled in a civil case that she, her parents and the owner of the car she was driving had to pay..."

Why is it so "sensitive for foreigners"?