Transferring money out from Thailand

You can transfer out, but they might only allow it if working in the country or they can see the funds originated from abroad.

If you deposited 800K one day and then wanted to transfer it abroad the they would either refuse or want proof of where the funds came from.

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If you deposited 800K one day and then wanted to transfer it abroad the they would either refuse or want proof of where the funds came from

Can't you take the money in cash and exchange it outside? 800,000 baht is 800 thousand BHT bills (8 bundles of 100 each). What is the legal limit of amount of BHT out?

Edited by onera1961

1 minute ago, onera1961 said:

Can't you take the money in cash and exchange it outside? 800,000 baht is 800 thousand BHT bills (8 bundles of 100 each). What is the legal limit of amount of BHT out?

Unless it’s changed I believe it’s 50K THB.

You could exchange the 800K THB to USD or other currency in Thailand then you could take out more cash, but that too has a limit. Not sure what that limit is but it’s a lot higher.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You could exchange the 800K THB to USD or other currency in Thailand then you could take out more cash, but that too has a limit. Not sure what that limit is but it’s a lot higher.

You could take baht outside Thailand and change it. May be not 800K at one time. But 100K each time. In the USA, I have changed around 20K BHT. Not sure if I can change 100K or not. Most of the time I don't change into other currency. Keep my Euro, USD, BHT as it is but never more than 5K USD total. 

50K THB each

449k THB to adjacent countries (but what are those countries regs. ??? risk of getting mugged????)

$20k but declare if over $15k

Was reading this yesterday.....

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/taking-cash-in-or-out-of-thailand

SWIFT A detailed credit note from the bank on receipt in Thailand, stamped and signed by the bank, kept in a safe place, together with the Home country bank transfer info, in case of any reluctance to trans out. May need it to SWIFT out again.

(As far as I've seen so far, reading about this subject).

Edited by UKresonant

33 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

You could take baht outside Thailand and change it. May be not 800K at one time. But 100K each time. In the USA, I have changed around 20K BHT. Not sure if I can change 100K or not. Most of the time I don't change into other currency. Keep my Euro, USD, BHT as it is but never more than 5K USD total. 

The limit is 50K THB.

5 hours ago, patinchis said:

are there any restrictions on transferring my lump sum(800,000) if ever needed out from Thailand to elsewhere.cheers.

Not in our experience....

I transferred roughly 3 million baht out thru Bangkok Bank

We do not work in Thailand nor were we asked for proof of funds originating from our home country (USA)

When we moved back to US from Chiang Mai I just went to my Bangkok Bank branch & did roughly 4 transfers

Only on original transfer out was I  asked why was I transferring  & I said repatriating. No problems after that

After that I kept the original sheet for info & during next three transfers just told them same as this info on sheet which they appreciated

I have heard/read but do not know if true ...That under 50K USD/ 1.5 million baht is no problems ( Which is why I did multiple transfers )

Anything over & source must be shown etc...Again I do not know if true but thought I would just break it into a few transfers.

Also I wanted to test the first one as my transfers take an additional hop as my US Credit Union does not accept int transfers directly

We did keep original foreign transfer receipt from when money was brought in years before but was never asked for any proof

so never showed them

Funny but the only little bump was my wife who is Thai ...when she went to transfer 900k baht out from her condo sale they asked her more questions

than my transferring much more.

When she said she held dual citizenship & was moving back to USA they asked to see her US Passport which she didnt have with her & had to go back to get ????????

So I guess once in awhile the falang gets the easier time ????

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

There is this other company that does it in Thailand Even has a Phone app .. forgot the name someone remind us

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

dee Money. But can send only to soem countries. And there is a limit on amount per transaction.

Ok thanks. , on foreign currency accounts in Thai banks., could one put the equavilent of 800,000(sum required for extension) in a foreign currency account with a bank ....ie is it acceptable to immigration authorities for retirement extension or does it have to be in a baht account ?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, patinchis said:

Ok thanks. , on foreign currency accounts in Thai banks., could one put the equavilent of 800,000(sum required for extension) in a foreign currency account with a bank ....ie is it acceptable to immigration authorities for retirement extension or does it have to be in a baht account ?

Yes you can use a foreign currency account as long as the money is instantly accessible.