Will flexible working become the rule, not the exception?

Will flexible working become the rule, not the exception?

David Buckley

cropped-shutterstock_1135219016.jpg

What would flexible working mean for London?

In the middle of July, MP Helen Whatley used the 10-Minute Rule to have her innovative Flexible Working Bill read in parliament. It gained national press coverage at the time, but I think it is fair to say that it was overshadowed by the Tory leadership campaign, Brexit and other yawn-inducing political shenanigans.

Lord knows what the papers will find to fill their columns with when Brexit is done and dusted. Flexible Working, maybe! 

Now to me, what Whatley and her fellow campaigners are trying to achieve could have far-reaching consequences.

Basically, the Flex For All campaign is bidding to turn current employment law on its head. The campaigners want to see a switch from the employee having to ask to be allowed to work flexibly to the onus being placed on the employer to propose how it can (or can’t) be done.

In essence, vacancies will be advertised that state what degree of job flexibility is acceptable from the outset.  

At the moment, after you have worked for a company for six months you can ask to be allowed to work flexibly. But there is no guarantee the request will be granted. The employer does not have to agree to it, though they might. If this Bill is passed, flexible working can start on day one and, at the very least, it will need to be considered. 

I interpret this to mean that more and more employers should expect their staff to want to work flexibly.

If this does come to fruition, what impact will this have on centres of commerce such as London?

Full story: https://londoninspire.co.uk/will-flexible-working-become-the-rule-not-the-exception/

1RHcVpx.jpg

-- © Copyright London Inspire in Thailand

Follow London Inspire on Facebook

21 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

No!  Insecure bosses only believe that line of sight management works.  If they cannot see you working you must be goofing off!

That's work from home (WFH) which is different. You can be a regular 9-5er - but from your own home.

Flexible working is for example I'll work every Saturday and take a long weekend every month, or I'll start early/late and finish early/late.