Make sure you Check your passport!

Actually, those personal details are in immigration office fairly open.  Sometimes immigration officials will use another person's application/passport to show a new applicant a live example of the paperwork requirement (they just grab a related packet from the stack)

Apparently privacy isn't a big deal for them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, thequietman said:

Average sale price for a stolen passport is around 3500 dollars US.

Stolen passport is useless in modern times with fingerprinting and face-recognition software.

The stolen passport won't match the buyer's face and fingerprints.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Stolen passport is useless in modern times with fingerprinting and face-recognition software.

How many countries in,let's say Europe uses face recognition and fingerprints? You try to stay away from airports with a stolen passport.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

The most valuable stolen passports have photos of East or South Asian men or women of average height.  They still have plenty of use going between borders outside the region they were obtained in, and if it's good enough onto a plane to UK, Canada or Australia they can flush it midroute and request asylum.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

The passport is useless anyway to non-owners. Nowadays, they use fingerprints at the exit counter.

So nobody would want your passport.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

At this point in time very few so called ‘biometric’ passports contain fingerprint or iris scan data.

FYI….. Up until June 2018, the only information that is held on the so called ‘biometric chip’ which is embedded in most passports only contained the same biographical information that is displayed on the photo page of the passport (including the holder’s photo).  The ‘chip’ has not held any biometric (fingerprints or iris scan) information.

The biographical information currently held on the ‘chip’ is encrypted and only accessible by scanning and reading the holder’s information presented at the bottom of the photo page between <<<< >>>>.  That information is then used by a software process to unlock the encrypted information.

Once unlocked the biographical information held on the 'chip' is then available to be displayed on an Immigration Officers screen to enable him/her to compare the ‘hard copy’ photo page information of the passport against that held on the ‘chip’.

The design and information held in a passport, or other international travel documents, is governed by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) which operates under the auspices of the United Nations.  Currently some 160 nations have adopted the so called ‘biometric’ passport.

In June last year the General Council of the ICAO approved the inclusion of fingerprint and iris scan information on the ‘biometric chip’.  The inclusion of fingerprint and iris scan data is not mandatory and the decision to include such information is left entirely at the discretion of the passport issuing authority.

The above information is referenced to the ICAO document 9303, Machine Readable Travel Documents, Seventh Edition, 2015, Part 9.

• Like 2

BritTim Posted 4 hours ago

Do I understand part of your account correctly. You were allowed to leave Immigration with the other guy's passport and bank book (Immigration knowing they were not yours) and personally made the arrangements for the swap?

It was my friend not me, but yes you are 100% correct.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Canuckabroad said:

The most valuable stolen passports have photos of East or South Asian men or women of average height.  They still have plenty of use going between borders outside the region they were obtained in, and if it's good enough onto a plane to UK, Canada or Australia they can flush it midroute and request asylum.

Ever check your taxi drivers id, we do it in Bali most of the time they reply  not me my cousin.

• Like 1

"The moral of this story is if immigration ever hold onto your passport and you have to return for it check your photo page! "

But most lightly you would spot it immediately ...unless the other guy is from the same country as yourself.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

"The moral of this story is if immigration ever hold onto your passport and you have to return for it check your photo page! "

But most lightly you would spot it immediately ...unless the other guy is from the same country as yourself.

I think a lot of countries use the similar color of the outside. As I see a lot of brown and dark blue passports.

But I agree, that this should seen right away, when you check the main page with photo and name!

On 8/11/2019 at 8:05 AM, EricTh said:

You're missing the point.

There is still a market for passports and 3.5k usd is the price.

Not all countries are up and running with passport techno like FP And FR.

Edited by Andycoops
spelling error